Portal Watch 2022-23

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That's what it's supposed to be. We'll see what happens when a guy getting $1MM NIL money from a State U booster decides not to play in a playoff game. Will the booster come back and say that not playing has damaged the reputation of the player or decreased the NIL value of the player by not playing and demand money back? Where's the popcorn?
Tjat won't impact that player but might make the booster think a bit before throwing money out like candy. Probably won't make any difference.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Is NIL money tax deductible?
NIL $ is taxable once you hit minimum standard deduction amounts and are considered self-employment income, so you may have to pay taxes on FICA, etc. and should be paying estimated quarterly taxes so that they don't get a penalty at the end of the year. Also impacts whether parents/guardian can take a deduction for them if they make too much. Thinking a lot of these kids won't have a clue and could see fines or other trouble for not doing things properly. But as JFan137 says, someone will figure out ways to circumvent the rules

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I assume the reason he made the decision now is to enroll in school for next semester. Would have been nice if had time to meet with the new staff and see if it makes sense for him to stay. I obviously don't kow the NIL info but my guess is this decision was made more on comparing the 2 offenses (UNC and GT) and thinking which one would provide him more opportunities.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I assume the reason he made the decision now is to enroll in school for next semester. Would have been nice if had time to meet with the new staff and see if it makes sense for him to stay. I obviously don't kow the NIL info but my guess is this decision was made more on comparing the 2 offenses (UNC and GT) and thinking which one would provide him more opportunities.
Yep. Specifically, I think the uncertainty did us in. As someone mentioned in another thread, when you have a potential 1st-round QB draft pick getting lots of looks from NFL scouts all year, being his top receiver is a pretty good position to be in for improving your draft visibility. Especially given that most people think Downs is gone next year.

Seems like a good business decision - although I hate it he's going to a competitor. At least they're not someone we play every year anymore.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm fine with four stars etc., but I' had rather have a real FB player no matter what the star rating 'cause It appears we have staff on hand that knows how to evaluate real players, a quality I have believed for a longtime is the best recruiting ability a coach can have, not that other qualities are not important because they are IMO. If Key and company can put winning together I believe we end up in a few years with the best talent we've had in a longtime. I'm basing that on just what I've seen already and yes I'm a little early for that statement, so it has some speculation in it.
I offer to the forum...CBK vs. Past leadership has a nose to the grind stone, no nonsense attitude....its not just the recruiting its providing an environment, a new start to change your trajectory into a hard nosed team oriented player that the NFL covets....Gilbert and others like him may consider... to transform the prima donna stigma