Portal Watch 2022-23

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If a college coach breaks a contract there's usually a buyout, at least some sort of penalty. Players nowadays can just move to wherever the money is with no penalty.

Coaches are also professionals being paid as professionals. If the players are now supposed to be professionals, then create a salary cap, remove scholarships and class requirements, and go the whole way. As it is right now, any school could in theory purchase all the top 100 players and "win" championships every year.
I think we’ll end up with something like you referenced. It’s just going to take a while.

NCAA has had its head in the sand for too long. If they would’ve started letting players get paid (in some form) a decade or so ago, I don’t think the problem would be as big as it is now.

As for the coaches being professionals, that’s true, but the athletes essentially are now too whether we want to admit it or not. At least at the highest level.

Coaches wouldn’t be making $10MM a year if fans and tv contracts weren’t created to watch 18-22 years olds play a game.

There’s so much money in college athletics and the “entertainment” deserves a piece.

From the athletes point of view, I really like it. I’ve been calling for athletes to get something since I was one. For me, it was mostly allowing athletes to get paid some sort of licensing deal like they have in MLB. Think EA NCAA football and the like. Some small percentage of the revenue.

As a GT fan, it stinks because we’re a relatively smaller school made up of mostly nerds who don’t care much about football/basketball so it will be tough to compete in paying for players.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we’ll end up with something like you referenced. It’s just going to take a while.

NCAA has had its head in the sand for too long. If they would’ve started letting players get paid (in some form) a decade or so ago, I don’t think the problem would be as big as it is now.

As for the coaches being professionals, that’s true, but the athletes essentially are now too whether we want to admit it or not. At least at the highest level.

Coaches wouldn’t be making $10MM a year if fans and tv contracts weren’t created to watch 18-22 years olds play a game.

There’s so much money in college athletics and the “entertainment” deserves a piece.

From the athletes point of view, I really like it. I’ve been calling for athletes to get something since I was one. For me, it was mostly allowing athletes to get paid some sort of licensing deal like they have in MLB. Think EA NCAA football and the like. Some small percentage of the revenue.

As a GT fan, it stinks because we’re a relatively smaller school made up of mostly nerds who don’t care much about football/basketball so it will be tough to compete in paying for players.
Loved your paragraph about how a decade ago the President NCAA board of governors having his head in the sand about some sort of player compensation. His name is former Gt Prez Bud Peterson.
At Orange Bowl party in 09 I asked him how the donations were going - (relative to gt football) doing well. He said "Its good" . Later i found out he was not talking about gtaa = we were drounding in debt, had bottom 1/3 of ACC donations, and Coach Johnson couldnt afford to fly his recruiter to Texas to see recruits we had lined up ( they went to Purdue and Baylor) .

We now have a Prez that at least says he wants gtaa to be competitive in ACC. He went to the Pitt game after firing TFP. He hired and AD from Alabama.
The Gt degree is treasured. We are a good place to start and to return if
things arent working out.

Portal comment
Some how in all this mess - We have 2 qbs that won hs state championship in largest classification. One is son of a coach. Alot of this is due to new staffs success and a lot is just Ga Tech is great school.

Last edited:

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Loved your paragraph about how a decade ago the President NCAA board of governors having his head in the sand about some sort of player compensation. His name is former Gt Prez Bud Peterson.
I often wonder if there's not reams of "Attorney/Client Priveledged" documents in Indianapolis where internal counsel was warning them that this was coming. The lawyers had to see it on the horizon, but the Board of Governors kept doing what they always do...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I often wonder if there's not reams of "Attorney/Client Priveledged" documents in Indianapolis where internal counsel was warning them that this was coming. The lawyers had to see it on the horizon, but the Board of Governors kept doing what they always do...
California announced in 2016 or 2017 that they were going to allow NIL for athletes starting in 2020, several states then followed. Why the NCAA didn't have any governance on NIL ready to go in 2020 is on them. They dug their own grave and are now out living their usefulness.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
California announced in 2016 or 2017 that they were going to allow NIL for athletes starting in 2020, several states then followed. Why the NCAA didn't have any governance on NIL ready to go in 2020 is on them. They dug their own grave and are now out living their usefulness.
I agree that the NCAA was behind the ball on this. I think, however, that the organization is worth too much in other ways to get rid of it. The main thing is that without the NCAA to make national decisions the door would be so wide open that - wait for it - Congress would step in. They've done it before. Either the sport regulates itself or the Feds will.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow

Tech was at least somewhat in the mix in the first Gilbert transfer chronicles. We desperately need some TE help, wonder if we’ll have a chance or even get a look this time.

This will be his second transfer, so who knows if he can play immediately. I hate the new rules.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech was at least somewhat in the mix in the first Gilbert transfer chronicles. We desperately need some TE help, wonder if we’ll have a chance or even get a look this time.
No disrespect to the young man, and he is one heck of a player, but I know a guy who knows a guy around Arik's situation, and he most likely does not want to and probably couldn't take the Tech curriculum. He was out for the year with the dogs because of mental issues, and I wish him all the best but the Tech curriculum is probably not what he wants/needs, while balancing his other issues.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Man...I didn't know anyone who did it right...athletes or not.

Most of us were on the five-year plan...and we weren't co-ops!
Yep, 5+ year plan for me with RETP adding a couple of quarters and then I did co-op...for one quarter (cost me more than it was worth).
I could have gotten in under 5 without that lost quarter and without the couple of "withdrawals" from classes mid-quarter (the ones where a D or worse was looming).
I can't imagine an athlete-student that can get done in under 4 years. I know they do, but that is mind-boggling to deal with the academic side (better resources with pre-paid tutors and such help), and then spend 1-4 hours every day working on conditioning, practicing, team meetings, strength training, etc. NUTS. Even with a fairly easy business major, that's still impressive. For the engineer-athletes, outstanding!

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, 5+ year plan for me with RETP adding a couple of quarters and then I did co-op...for one quarter (cost me more than it was worth).
I could have gotten in under 5 without that lost quarter and without the couple of "withdrawals" from classes mid-quarter (the ones where a D or worse was looming).
I can't imagine an athlete-student that can get done in under 4 years. I know they do, but that is mind-boggling to deal with the academic side (better resources with pre-paid tutors and such help), and then spend 1-4 hours every day working on conditioning, practicing, team meetings, strength training, etc. NUTS. Even with a fairly easy business major, that's still impressive. For the engineer-athletes, outstanding!

my best friend grad as an EE and he started under quarters for one year and finished under semesters. he some how grad in 4 years without going summers. think his JR year one semester was 19 hours. think he finished right at a 3.0 gpa

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's been a business for a long time, but it has really exploded in the last 10-15 years.

I have become alot less invested in college football and basketball over that time as you could see the bifurcation coming where just a handful of programs are truly competing for championships.
I used to live and die by how GT FB and MBB did, now, if they lose I don't get that upset - I just get on with life. If they win there is a little momentary excitement, but it doesn't last very long either.

NIL was not supposed to be a pay for play program (which is still against NCAA Rules), but that is what it quickly became at the highest levels - especially with the transfer portal with the free transfer coming online at the same time.
Interestingly, this has not really been a big issue for college basketball - it has largely been bypassed by NIL and shoe companies are still the primary driver there.

I'd probably have more interest if there was a break in college football between those who just want to drop any pretenses that the sport has anything to do with a University and those programs that want to operate under a more student-athlete model. It would be easier to get into if you knew you were competing against other programs that had similar ideals.
"I'd probably have more interest if there was a break in college football between those who just want to drop any pretenses that the sport has anything to do with a University and those programs that want to operate under a more student-athlete model." An excellent summation of the current situation in college football. I have too, steadily lost interest as college football devolved into a semi pro model.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Despite his decent numbers, I would never sign him. He's soft as baby $**t. Has never stood up to adversity. Always on the run. I mean the guy had tons of pressure on him from middle school so I don't know what the mental aspects of that are, few if any of us do. This will get worse now that college football has opened the wallets and are paying these guys. Combine that with the tremendous influence "digital connections" vs face to face interaction, the end result is not good for anybody.
He might be the biggest prospect Rice has secured since Jess Neely was running the program with great success more than 60 years ago.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
With what we're bringing in and Nate could be we have the strongest WR group we've had in a long time. If we could add a good TE could be hard to defend. WR plentiful, TEs not so it appears.
There are so many kids now in the portal it must be a nightmare for coaches to balance their rosters. I wonder if Nate found that the grass was not as green as he thought and he was in danger of missing a chair when the music stopped. I hope he stays with the team and has a productive year, but if not I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My journey through Tech was somewhat similar, co-op for a couple of years and finished in f
ive years.
One advantage kids have today is the ability to take college classes while still in HS. I know kids that started college as a sophomore their first day on campus.