Portal Watch 2022-23

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am roughly the exact opposite of a Collins apologist, but the charitable interpretation of his retweet(s) is a desire to increase the visibility of his guys already in the portal — that’s not anti-GT, but just pro-guys-he-loves.
Perhaps, but the usual approach is that a former coach is not supposed to tamper with his former program or interact in a public forum with former players. In short, you are supposed to keep your mouth shut and move on. If, down the road, a player you coached gets an award or lands in the NFL, send them a personal note. But interaction in social media or in public comments with players in your former program is very bad form and speaks to a narcissistic streak.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps, but the usual approach is that a former coach is not supposed to tamper with his former program or interact in a public forum with former players. In short, you are supposed to keep your mouth shut and move on. If, down the road, a player you coached gets an award or lands in the NFL, send them a personal note. But interaction in social media or in public comments with players in your former program is very bad form and speaks to a narcissistic streak.
I think that’s really only true when the former coach is active within a different program/job. Geoff is not, therefore he’s not really tampering with anything. I think Geoff sucks as a head football coach, but I do think he genuinely loves and cares about his players. I really don’t think there’s any ill-will here, and it’s all just to show some support to his former guys.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
All his posts and even his profile picture of him in a GT uniform but he still as WR at Georgia Tech in his bio so I don’t really know
Wiping the slate clean to start a new era of GT football? Everything he's done so far means nothing, and all that matters is what comes next for the Jackets?

Trying to be an optimist. Not really my thing, but trying...

LFGJ!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You don't need to get your watch wound too tight over all these comings and goings. We really don't have anyone on our current team that is irreplaceable and you best not count on these transfers or so-called commitments until you see them put on the white and gold and actually take the field. That's just the way it is nowadays It's fine to note the comings and goings but again, there is nothing you can do about it and we will just have to see how it all washes out when toe meets leather in 2023,

Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s really only true when the former coach is active within a different program/job. Geoff is not, therefore he’s not really tampering with anything. I think Geoff sucks as a head football coach, but I do think he genuinely loves and cares about his players. I really don’t think there’s any ill-will here, and it’s all just to show some support to his former guys.
It’s tampering.

Key is trying to win the full support of his players and he wants them to play differently than under Collins. For players to be all in with Key’s philosophy they don’t need to be distracted by a former coach.

Paul Johnson knew enough to know any comment or communication with a former player would undercut the support Collins needed for his transition. So he didn’t do it. That’s being a professional.

Johnson also genuinely loved his players.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s tampering.

Key is trying to win the full support of his players and he wants them to play differently than under Collins. For players to be all in with Key’s philosophy they don’t need to be distracted by a former coach.

Paul Johnson knew enough to know any comment or communication with a former player would undercut the support Collins needed for his transition. So he didn’t do it. That’s being a professional.

Not sure I agree with you. Collins is an odd duck, so I'm leaning toward him not doing this vindictively. I think he's just rah-rah'ing his guys. I agree it's in bad taste.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s tampering.

Tampering with what, exactly? Collins isn’t employed by anybody else. He’s not pushing people to transfer to where he is. I doubt he has much, if any, communication at all with the current players. Nate McCollum actively campaigned for Key to be named head coach. I highly doubt he’s concerned about what Geoff has to say in that matter. It’s not like he’s commenting on their transfer posts saying, “Let’s go! Get out of Tech, it’s a bad situation.” He literally just retweeted it. It’s a nothing burger. He also retweeted his former Temple players’ announcements. Is that tampering too? Hate on GC all you want. I hate him for what he did to the football program, but he’s not really doing anything wrong here.

And if you’re going to bring up Paul, he was also posting things like this

And he “liked” this tweet

Paying attention to what former coaches are posting, re-posting, and “liking” on social media is weird. Especially if you’re going to call out one guy for “tampering” and not another one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm having a bad day, so I'm taking it out on yall.

Somebody post something about a dayum portal player in or out in the next 2 posts or I'm going smooth, clean off.

i will kill you jim GIF

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I expect portal activity to pick up for us next week. Word is we have a few guys who we’re working up portal packages for and might be visiting next weekend. So.. you may need to ice the thread for a week @kg01

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Not an "official reply" but I don't think honesty is ever been pushed back on by the staff. Lets test the waters here.

In my opinion, Geoff Collins was the most ineffective head football coach I have ever witnessed with my own two eyes based on the sloppiness of play, general disorganization during game times, and failure to correct repetitive issues (amongst other things.)

I am pretty sure that this post will not be removed. Nor will I get a warning. It's not bc I am a member of an exclusive fraternity here. Not bc I have greased a few palms here and there. It's bc the above stays (I think) within the estabilished parameters for what is/is not allowed here.

If I am wrong and this post is removed and I am banned, that will be okay too. I just don't see how I can swing that 2 month, 2 dollar backpayment on my membership here this close to the holidays. @Augusta_Jacket (aka Ebeneezer Scrooge) has been breathing down my neck about this for a few weeks. Even though the baby needs new shoes and the oldest wants a new doll for Christmas. And the missus wanted to serve a real ham or other real meat this year instead of the fried spam casserole again.
Great. I should have put a wink on my post because it was definitely TIC!

It was my very subtle way of expressing my frustration at a former coach by asking if I could say something ugly about him :) Super passive-aggressive but intended to be funny. Sorry if it didn't come across that way!

But I do sort of wonder if the no derogatory rule would ever be lifted and under what conditions.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
This is great news for the momentum of getting portal targets on campus and then having them committed before they leave. Hopefully we continue to fill in holes on our roster as needed.