Portal Watch 2022-23

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would say "I guess I'll just start watching High School Football." But it was already worse than NCAA with kids parents getting cush jobs to move into a region. So then I'd think "Ah..then Pop Warner Football it is!" But, um, it's not like there aren't shenanigans there too.

I guess it's Pickle Ball for me. :(

Try college baseball for another year or two till NIL money totally goes out of control there too ( ask NC State about Tommy Tanks).

As to the bidding wars for transfers, the only brake on this going totally out of control is that a player only gets one free transfer without having to sit out a year. Unless of course the coach leaves or a family emergency in the new school location.

Makes it hard to be a CFB fan. The system is going to maximize ESPN eyeballs on games and betting sites profit. Sorry, just being a curmudgeon.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Try college baseball for another year or two till NIL money totally goes out of control there too ( ask NC State about Tommy Tanks).

As to the bidding wars for transfers, the only brake on this going totally out of control is that a player only gets one free transfer without having to sit out a year. Unless of course the coach leaves or a family emergency in the new school location.

Makes it hard to be a CFB fan. The system is going to maximize ESPN eyeballs on games and betting sites profit. Sorry, just being a curmudgeon.
The system could use a brake job, I think it's low on fluid...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Dontae is gone, he walked during Sr day, our skill positions on offense are going to have to be almost completely rebuilt.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Real bad look for Nate. To publicly lobby for Key to be the full-time head coach and then leave the school anyway barely a week after Key gets the job.
I hate it for us that he’s likely leaving; but, it is possible that he thought/thinks CBK is the best man for the job and is also getting blown away by NIL offers from other programs that he can’t turn down.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate it for us that he’s likely leaving; but, it is possible that he thought/thinks CBK is the best man for the job and is also getting blown away by NIL offers from other programs that he can’t turn down.
This NIL is a mess and getting messier

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
If Nate goes it will be 2 years in a row our best offensive weapon leaves with eligibility remaining. If he goes UGA it will mean both of them end up at SEC powerhouses. Effectively making GT and schools like us a farm system for big schools, which are already a farm system for the NFL. It’s a broken system that needs to be changed, IMO. If NIL money is going to be the primary factor in where somebody decides to go to school and play football, then it is no longer an amateur sport. I have no problem with players getting paid what they’re worth, but I do have a problem with trying to act like it’s under the guise of amateurism. Call the players what they are, professionals. Make them employees, give them contracts to sign, and pay them a salary. If the players choose to go to school they can do that, if not they don’t have to. Put the teams on a salary cap, allow free agency and trades, come up with some sort of draft system. If a player wants to get paid $100k plus to play football he has to consent to the rules of the league and allow himself to be drafted, traded, etc. Most universities now offer some degree programs online, if a kid wants to get paid to play and get a degree from a certain school in a different part of the country they can go that route.

For the schools who don’t want to get into professionalism, go back to the old rules. You get a full scholarship, all books and board covered, no additional cash from playing. If you get to school and decide you just want the cash, you can enter yourself into the professional draft. 1 free transfer with no penalty after you graduate school to any other amateur level school, or you can immediately become a free agent in the professional level and sign with any team of your choice.
I see this as the realistic path forward. Schools like GT will be left behind in the arms race and be better for it. There’s still good entertainment to be had but we won’t have to pretend to compete directly against schools which are on another level of funding.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
If Nate goes it will be 2 years in a row our best offensive weapon leaves with eligibility remaining. If he goes UGA it will mean both of them end up at SEC powerhouses. Effectively making GT and schools like us a farm system for big schools, which are already a farm system for the NFL. It’s a broken system that needs to be changed, IMO. If NIL money is going to be the primary factor in where somebody decides to go to school and play football, then it is no longer an amateur sport. I have no problem with players getting paid what they’re worth, but I do have a problem with trying to act like it’s under the guise of amateurism. Call the players what they are, professionals. Make them employees, give them contracts to sign, and pay them a salary. If the players choose to go to school they can do that, if not they don’t have to. Put the teams on a salary cap, allow free agency and trades, come up with some sort of draft system. If a player wants to get paid $100k plus to play football he has to consent to the rules of the league and allow himself to be drafted, traded, etc. Most universities now offer some degree programs online, if a kid wants to get paid to play and get a degree from a certain school in a different part of the country they can go that route.

For the schools who don’t want to get into professionalism, go back to the old rules. You get a full scholarship, all books and board covered, no additional cash from playing. If you get to school and decide you just want the cash, you can enter yourself into the professional draft. 1 free transfer with no penalty after you graduate school to any other amateur level school, or you can immediately become a free agent in the professional level and sign with any team of your choice.
I hope this is all about GT finding a NIL deal for Nate that keeps him with GT.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Just to stir the pot, in my old line of work we differentiated between former and ex very formally. One is former when retired and ex when fired. The good guys take strong offense when a fired guy tries to take up the former label when he was run from the job, so maybe xCGC is most appropriate. It formally acknowledges the derogatory feelings I have about the situation....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just to stir the pot, in my old line of work we differentiated between former and ex very formally. One is former when retired and ex when fired. The good guys take strong offense when a fired guy tries to take up the former label when he was run from the job, so maybe xCGC is most appropriate. It formally acknowledges the derogatory feelings I have about the situation....
Like the guy responsible for 1994, I just don't talk about him. That way I say nothing derogatory about any coach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I see. So in a way you are not saying anything derogatory so much as you are making a factual statement about a former employee by making a technical distinction about how their former employment terminated.

Seems fair. Keeps the mods happy by keeping the description neutral and fact based while giving you a quiet sense of satisfaction that there is some justice rendered in the description.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't understand what is supposed to be so derogatory about "The Former Guy", anyway. I get why "The F------ Former Guy" is a bit much but simply "TFG"? Really?

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly don't understand what is supposed to be so derogatory about "The Former Guy", anyway. I get why "The F------ Former Guy" is a bit much but simply "TFG"? Really?
I'm good with "Clown". Any time it's used in conversation regarding GT football, participants will know exactly who you are talking about and all the associated baggage with it. Simple....elegant.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm good with "Clown". Any time it's used in conversation regarding GT football, participants will know exactly who you are talking about and all the associated baggage with it. Simple....elegant.
I think "clown" is regarded as over the line, and I understand that I shouldn't type it on this board even if I think it. But I don't get the contrived consternation over "TFG". I've never even meant it in a derogatory way. It's just "the former guy", the guy who used to be head coach. It's like some kind of hypersensitivity run completely off the rails.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think this. I think his approach was just wrong. I think he thought with his marketing he would be able to recruit "elite" athletes to compete at UGA level. When that didn't happen and lack of a Power 5 coaching staff, we got his end result.