Portal Watch 2022-23

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Because of our QB play after Sims got injured, I feel pretty good with our current QB's, especially with a 4 star commit. We can always use more depth, of course.
I was very hopeful for a big leap this year for Jeff. From my untrained eye, I saw a QB in Sims who has a ton of natural ability. He has needed to improve his short passing game and overall consistency, though. I still worry that the game has not "slowed down" for him yet, leading him to rely on his running skills - which are very good- leading to taking increased hits.
I hope Sims finds a good fit somewhere. He seems like a fine young man. Him leaving would be a shame in the long term, if he was close to getting his Tech degree, but he could always finish later. Best of Luck to him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Because of our QB play after Sims got injured, I feel pretty good with our current QB's, especially with a 4 star commit. We can always use more depth, of course.
I was very hopeful for a big leap this year for Jeff. From my untrained eye, I saw a QB in Sims who has a ton of natural ability. He has needed to improve his short passing game and overall consistency, though. I still worry that the game has not "slowed down" for him yet, leading him to rely on his running skills - which are very good- leading to taking increased hits.
I hope Sims finds a good fit somewhere. He seems like a fine young man. Him leaving would be a shame in the long term, if he was close to getting his Tech degree, but he could always finish later. Best of Luck to him.

Fair and classy, unlike many others here.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This is adjacent to "bigotry of low expectations." The way Sean311 is looking at it is correct. The value of the education at GT relative to any school they'd be transferring to far outweighs the expected value of the transfer. That's readily apparent to most on this board (and would be to others with a Top 25 education), but not to an 18-20 year old kid or a lot of parents who either don't have a college degree or have one from a less reputable school.

I had the opportunity to be a student-athlete at a school I really liked that was also offering a unique academic program for a handful of students including me, but it would've been on partial scholarship. At the end of the day, degree program ranked #100 with debt vs #2 without debt (thanks to Hope) led me to GT. I'm glad I was able to discern that at my age because frankly I don't think most people in my position (only 1 parent with a college degree and it was from Valdosta State) would've. Now that I'm mid career, I wish I'd had the same discernment in choosing career path opportunities because my reference points were people who'd been with a single company for 30+ years and/or had opportunities to switch fields without needing to pursue a new degree. It took me until I was 30 to realize that's not realistic in today's world. Once I realized that, I went from having several years of effectively stagnant salary to doubling in less than 2 years.

All this to say, it's easy for young people to make the wrong decision when receiving bad advice. Hopefully everyone can find a mentor that can help them reach their potential and set expectations at the correct level.
You make good points. Main one being that having a good Mentor or voice in your ear at an early (or really any) age is super valuable.

It’s also rare.

Neither one of my parents went to college but they stressed the importance to me. They also told me how good a school GT was.

That being said, if Clemson would’ve been able to provide the same scholarship money GT did, I would’ve most likely ended up there.

I think a lot of kids we’re recruiting are more like I was coming out of HS than the average student body (at GT). My guess is many come from homes where the parents didn’t go to college and just the idea of their son getting any college degree is a win for their family.

Perspective is important. GT degree is by far better than most. But when your son is the first person in your family to graduate from college, you’ll be excited and proud regardless of where that is from. Even if you know how good a school GT is.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If a coach is fired or resigns than a player can transfer and not have to sit a year.
I believe that was implemented by the NCAA back in 2019 or 2020..
I think this is correct for new recruits, but not sure about players who have already transferred. I found this NCAA doc online that speaks to the allowable exceptions to the 1-year sit-out rule: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

I could not find coaching changes as a means to the exception.

Again, I'm no expert on this topic so if you have a link to your exception rule I'd be curious to see it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If a coach is fired or resigns than a player can transfer and not have to sit a year.
I wasn't aware of that new rule, either. Not sure I agree with it. Players are supposed to commit to the school, not the coach. We all understand the reality of it, but that's just one more hurdle a school has to deal with when making a change (especially for resignation).

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting that the NCAA brochure for HS students who are being recruited stresses that the student should commit to the school and not the coach. Then they allow leaving if a coach leaves. No matter what the rule, it's pretty well known that they will grant a waiver to transfer with a coaching change. Typical NCAA forked tongue.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
You make good points. Main one being that having a good Mentor or voice in your ear at an early (or really any) age is super valuable.

It’s also rare.

Neither one of my parents went to college but they stressed the importance to me. They also told me how good a school GT was.

That being said, if Clemson would’ve been able to provide the same scholarship money GT did, I would’ve most likely ended up there.

I think a lot of kids we’re recruiting are more like I was coming out of HS than the average student body (at GT). My guess is many come from homes where the parents didn’t go to college and just the idea of their son getting any college degree is a win for their family.

Perspective is important. GT degree is by far better than most. But when your son is the first person in your family to graduate from college, you’ll be excited and proud regardless of where that is from. Even if you know how good a school GT is.
This is a very good point. The marginal value of “no degree -> any degree” is pretty obvious in many situations and may appear much higher than the marginal value of “any degree -> gt degree.”

If you’ve had two goals, play football and get a degree, being told you’re a fool if you don’t want to give up on the former early would be a hard pill to swallow.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
It's interesting that the NCAA brochure for HS students who are being recruited stresses that the student should commit to the school and not the coach. Then they allow leaving if a coach leaves. No matter what the rule, it's pretty well known that they will grant a waiver to transfer with a coaching change. Typical NCAA forked tongue.
Seems like you are more concerned with the well being of your football program versus the well being of the student athlete.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Seems like you are more concerned with the well being of your football program versus the well being of the student athlete.
Seems like you are presuming the student athlete's well-being is better served by transferring regularly rather than learning to win when things are hard.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I plead ignorance. Maybe it's well known to fans who follow transfers more closely.

Regardless, posts #268 and #269 have presented links that support the notion that a second transfer with immediate eligibility due to coaching change is not allowed. Perhaps you can give some examples of where a waiver was granted recently or a link that supports it.