Portal Watch 2022-23

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry but with all due respect if you are these type of players why the hell would you leave a FREE GT degree behind to go to some bum *** school just to start and do nothing with your career? It’s mind boggling to me how some of these players are completely devaluing the importance of a GT degree.

Sorry not sorry 🤷🏻‍♂️
Maybe someone is whispering in their ear...you are better than this...go ahead do it, the NFL riches await. By the time they figure it all out its too late.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
i’m just scared sims will find a school with a good offensive mind and then be amazing because that is the most georgia tech thing to happen ever. i think he could do the same as hendon hooker and blow up seemingly out of nowhere after leaving a bad situation. interesting to see he’s generating p5 interest after so many people were so sure he’d never get any.
Hooker was way more proven than Sims when he was coming out of VT. His worst season was as good as Sims’ best season.

I don’t doubt that Sims could go be a solid QB for a P5 somewhere, but I would be incredibly surprised if he ever comes close to what Hooker did at Tennessee. Disrespectful as hell that Stetson Bennett is going to the Heisman ceremony and Hooker isn’t. I don’t think Sims will ever be in a position to get snubbed out of Heisman consideration. I think he might end up somewhere completely out of the SEC/ACC footprint. Somewhere like Wisconsin/Iowa/Indiana/Oregon/Arizona State where he can completely reset with a brand new culture and scenery. He could probably be as good as somebody like Spencer Sanders who is leaving Oklahoma State. He may even fit in there, would probably be good for him to play for Gundy.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m sorry but with all due respect if you are these type of players why the hell would you leave a FREE GT degree behind to go to some bum *** school just to start and do nothing with your career? It’s mind boggling to me how some of these players are completely devaluing the importance of a GT degree.

Sorry not sorry 🤷🏻‍♂️
Because they didn’t come for a GT degree. Its importance to them is secondary now and was secondary when they decided to come here.

I’m just a dumb former student athlete so coming up with an analogy that would relate to a typical 1450 avg SAT GT student will be as hard for me to do as it is for said student to understand why a player would chose to go play somewhere else, but I’ll try.

Best I can do is a guy who’s been dating a girl from his freshman year in HS through graduation decides to follow her to GA Southern instead of going to GT.

Both scenarios don’t seem smart to the majority of people on the outside, but to those involved it does.

In one, a guy is pursuing the thing he loves doing and wants to give himself every opportunity to play as long as he can. Best case scenario, he blows up and gets a chance to play in the NFL. Worst case, football doesn’t work out, but he still has an opportunity to get A degree just not a GT degree.

The other, the guy is pursuing the one he loves and wants to do everything he can to make their relationship work. Best case, they get married and have a long happy life together. Worst case, the relationship doesn’t work out, but he still can get a degree, just not his GT degree.

Another thing I believe firmly in is that everything happens for a reason.

Maybe in scenario 1, football doesn’t work out, but the player becomes friends with someone at his new school and they start a company that IPOs or he plays for a coach he loves playing for who brings him back to get into coaching

Or in scenario 2, the guys relationship doesn’t work out, but shortly after their breakup he meets his future wife in class or he connects with a professor their who inspires him to do something great.

Or any other list of scenarios.

GT is a great school and I love it. Was a fan before coming, am raising my kids to be (and hate the dwags), and will be until I die.

That being said, it’s not the only place to find success.

I only got into GT because I threw a baseball hard. and as I mentioned, I grew up a die hard Tech fan, but I strongly considered transferring after my freshman year. I knew the degree was good, but my mind was on playing at the next level.

I’m thankful I didn’t because I met my wife the next year (and we did some cool things on the baseball field), but I was close.
Sorry for the long rant and it’s not directed solely at you @Sean311. I just see too many posts like this and they bother me.

JacketFan137

Banned
Because they didn’t come for a GT degree. Its importance to them is secondary now and was secondary when they decided to come here.

I’m just a dumb former student athlete so coming up with an analogy that would relate to a typical 1450 avg SAT GT student will be as hard for me to do as it is for said student to understand why a player would chose to go play somewhere else, but I’ll try.

Best I can do is a guy who’s been dating a girl from his freshman year in HS through graduation decides to follow her to GA Southern instead of going to GT.

Both scenarios don’t seem smart to the majority of people on the outside, but to those involved it does.

In one, a guy is pursuing the thing he loves doing and wants to give himself every opportunity to play as long as he can. Best case scenario, he blows up and gets a chance to play in the NFL. Worst case, football doesn’t work out, but he still has an opportunity to get A degree just not a GT degree.

The other, the guy is pursuing the one he loves and wants to do everything he can to make their relationship work. Best case, they get married and have a long happy life together. Worst case, the relationship doesn’t work out, but he still can get a degree, just not his GT degree.

Maybe in scenario 1, football doesn’t work out, but the player becomes friends with someone at his new school and they start a company that IPOs or he plays for a coach he loves playing for who brings him back to get into coaching

Or in scenario 2, the guys relationship doesn’t work out, but shortly after their breakup he meets his future wife in class or he connects with a professor their who inspires him to do something great.

GT is a great school and I love it. Was a fan before coming, am raising my kids to be (and hate the dwags), and will be until I die.

I only got into GT because I threw a baseball hard. and as I mentioned, I grew up a die hard Tech fan, but I strongly considered transferring after my freshman year. I knew the degree was good, but my mind was on playing at the next level.

I’m thankful I didn’t because I met my wife the next year (and we did some cool things on the baseball field), but I was close.
Sorry for the long rant and it’s not directed solely at you @Sean311. I just see too many posts like this and they bother me.
i think this is an important perspective. most of the users on here are approaching it like they are their own age and not an 18 year old kid. all 18 year old kids at this level have at least some thought of playing at the next level regardless what sport. in our minds the degree is so valuable but when you’re 18 more than likely you don’t have the perspective to understand the avenues that it can open up for you

JacketFan137

Banned
Hooker was way more proven than Sims when he was coming out of VT. His worst season was as good as Sims’ best season.

I don’t doubt that Sims could go be a solid QB for a P5 somewhere, but I would be incredibly surprised if he ever comes close to what Hooker did at Tennessee. Disrespectful as hell that Stetson Bennett is going to the Heisman ceremony and Hooker isn’t. I don’t think Sims will ever be in a position to get snubbed out of Heisman consideration. I think he might end up somewhere completely out of the SEC/ACC footprint. Somewhere like Wisconsin/Iowa/Indiana/Oregon/Arizona State where he can completely reset with a brand new culture and scenery. He could probably be as good as somebody like Spencer Sanders who is leaving Oklahoma State. He may even fit in there, would probably be good for him to play for Gundy.
yeah i should have phrased better. hooker had literally the best situation imaginable and fell into the perfect system at tennessee. i don’t think the schools sims is linked with are quite as good. i just meant that sims will seemingly come on to the scene and be a good qb after some streaky up and down years at tech.

i also just think it’s classic tech for someone to just suddenly be wayyy better after leaving us lol

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
i think this is an important perspective. most of the users on here are approaching it like they are their own age and not an 18 year old kid. all 18 year old kids at this level have at least some thought of playing at the next level regardless what sport. in our minds the degree is so valuable but when you’re 18 more than likely you don’t have the perspective to understand the avenues that it can open up for you
This. I wasn't in athletics - but almost transferred prior to my junior year, for the reasons that I wanted to move to a school in the city where the "big leagues" of my chosen profession were...and that offered a major more aligned to that.

I ultimately rethought my decision - but was accepted and ready to go. Glad I didn't, but at the time, it didn't seem like a big deal to make the move in pursuit of something bigger.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
When has this happened?
Only guys I can think of right away that received meaningful snaps and put up numbers at their new schools were Gibbs and Dedrick Mills. Not sure they got better or raised their NFL stock necessarily - they were already good.

Seems to me a lot of GT kids entering the portal didn't end up with many offers, much less from FBS/P5 teams. Kirvonte Benson comes to mind. I don't think he ever played again?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

This is adjacent to "bigotry of low expectations." The way Sean311 is looking at it is correct. The value of the education at GT relative to any school they'd be transferring to far outweighs the expected value of the transfer. That's readily apparent to most on this board (and would be to others with a Top 25 education), but not to an 18-20 year old kid or a lot of parents who either don't have a college degree or have one from a less reputable school.

I had the opportunity to be a student-athlete at a school I really liked that was also offering a unique academic program for a handful of students including me, but it would've been on partial scholarship. At the end of the day, degree program ranked #100 with debt vs #2 without debt (thanks to Hope) led me to GT. I'm glad I was able to discern that at my age because frankly I don't think most people in my position (only 1 parent with a college degree and it was from Valdosta State) would've. Now that I'm mid career, I wish I'd had the same discernment in choosing career path opportunities because my reference points were people who'd been with a single company for 30+ years and/or had opportunities to switch fields without needing to pursue a new degree. It took me until I was 30 to realize that's not realistic in today's world. Once I realized that, I went from having several years of effectively stagnant salary to doubling in less than 2 years.

All this to say, it's easy for young people to make the wrong decision when receiving bad advice. Hopefully everyone can find a mentor that can help them reach their potential and set expectations at the correct level.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Change of plans...maybe...?

I wonder what transfer portal Ken looks at... full disclosure, I'm not well versed in this stuff. Opposed to Kens article, I still see McCollum in the 247 portal this morning. Hopefully Ken has a better source than 247. Is there an actual portal database that media would have access to?

1670332811391.png

jacketfanatic15

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder what transfer portal Ken looks at... full disclosure, I'm not well versed in this stuff. Opposed to Kens article, I still see McCollum in the 247 portal this morning. Hopefully Ken has a better source than 247. Is there an actual portal database that media would have access to?

View attachment 13721
The date on McCollum is 11/28. Transfer Portal didn't open until 12/5. I take that as McCollum was listed based on his intentions, however, he hasn't officially entered since it opened. Just my guess.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Why does it state RJ Adams is immediately available if he already had one transfer from Ky. to GT? Wouldn’t the next stop, make him sit out a year?