Portal Watch 2022-23

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Kalani Norris: FIU, Toledo, JMU, Louisville, WMU, USF, FAU, Montana, Ga. St., UConn, Butler, MTSU, Mo. St., SE Louisiana, WCU, Tex. St., Tenn. St., EMU, Jax. St., Houston, Oregon, PennSt, NW, Myd.

Taisun Phommachanh: NC Central, Wofford, Buffalo, U of Texas, Old Dominion, WMU, UMass, MTSU, ETSU, YSU, Monmouth, Butler, Ala A&M, BGU, Nevada, NAU, Fordham, Norfolk St.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's here as grad transfer w 2 years eligibility .

Played special teams but probably knows Busters system.

If there wasn't 2 first rounders at TE, Seither probably plays a LOT more snaps at TE for UGA. I made the Joe Burrow comparison at Ohio State somewhere else...Seither is a guy with talent. Being stuck behind Washington and Bowers isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Now it's a matter of scheming and getting our TEs more involved...oh, and somehow talk Blackburn into moving to TE.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Kalani Norris: FIU, Toledo, JMU, Louisville, WMU, USF, FAU, Montana, Ga. St., UConn, Butler, MTSU, Mo. St., SE Louisiana, WCU, Tex. St., Tenn. St., EMU, Jax. St., Houston, Oregon, PennSt, NW, Myd.

Taisun Phommachanh: NC Central, Wofford, Buffalo, U of Texas, Old Dominion, WMU, UMass, MTSU, ETSU, YSU, Monmouth, Butler, Ala A&M, BGU, Nevada, NAU, Fordham, Norfolk St.
Are these self-reported offers?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Phommachanh's going to UMass.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If there wasn't 2 first rounders at TE, Seither probably plays a LOT more snaps at TE for UGA. I made the Joe Burrow comparison at Ohio State somewhere else...Seither is a guy with talent. Being stuck behind Washington and Bowers isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Now it's a matter of scheming and getting our TEs more involved...oh, and somehow talk Blackburn into moving to TE.
The air raid at Baylor had multiple positions for wr. The stud moved around and was a primary read.

Very often the little fast guys we spread to the sidelines and went LONG.

The other inside receiver was tall and could get open for short gain.

With wide gaps the rb or qb was a run threst as the defense was spread out.

Seems like we have not been fast on the edge so safety can help cover both stud and sideline receivers = makes read difficult.

Would be nice to have leonsrd as posesion TE and New guy from uga as the split out TE.
Hope for easy reads for qb springs eternal.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Hopefully you're right. We won't know until we see him on the field. Don't get me wrong, I'm always looking at the positive side so I truly am hopeful that the only reason he couldn't get on the field was that there are a couple of NFL type guys ahead of him.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To me, transfers are a crap shoot. Most seem to be moving on because of some perceived slight by the coaching staff at their current location. A few, probably do want to play more and have come to the realization that they are not going to beat out the guy(s) in front of them. In either case, it would be a very minuscule number that are bound to instant stardom at their new destination. Gibbs probably comes as close as I can think of as someone who transferred and immediately was a difference-maker and spotlight player. I think you could count on one hand the number of transfers who actually elevated the results of the team they transferred to.

So in general, my feeling is that transfers are temporary gap stuffers. Guys you hope can step in and at least be serviceable and take care of a particular need. Guys like Ace Eley or Pierce Quick in our case. They have a role, but rarely will they have a measurable impact on the program they are transferring to. Worth discussing for sure but not necessarily something to get excited about.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
To me, transfers are a crap shoot. Most seem to be moving on because of some perceived slight by the coaching staff at their current location. A few, probably do want to play more and have come to the realization that they are not going to beat out the guy(s) in front of them. In either case, it would be a very minuscule number that are bound to instant stardom at their new destination. Gibbs probably comes as close as I can think of as someone who transferred and immediately was a difference-maker and spotlight player. I think you could count on one hand the number of transfers who actually elevated the results of the team they transferred to.

So in general, my feeling is that transfers are temporary gap stuffers. Guys you hope can step in and at least be serviceable and take care of a particular need. Guys like Ace Eley or Pierce Quick in our case. They have a role, but rarely will they have a measurable impact on the program they are transferring to. Worth discussing for sure but not necessarily something to get excited about.

Go Jackets!
https://theathletic.com/3540066/2022/08/26/college-football-transfer-portal-top-100-ranking-2022s-most-impactful-newcomers/?source=user_shared_article

Paywall - most of us don’t see enough college football to really know. Seems USC and Oklahoma were very busy with transfers

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

There may actually be three 1st rounders in the uga TE room. Bowers, Gilbert, and Washington were all 5* recruits.

JacketFan137

Banned

i don’t think we can convince blackburn to move to TE and get production out of him at this point. he’d need to bulk up a ton

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our numbers are ok with respect to WRs and TEs. Guys get hurt, have off days, etc. I don't think you can too many guys who can get open and catch the ball. The problem we had in the past three years is too many guys on our roster who should not be on a D1 roster. I put that on the coaches, not the players.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can not open the link but certainly, Oklahoma did not appear to be positively affected by anything in 2022. USC I an pretty sure has opened the pocketbook in an attempt to buy the best talent they can. They appear to be having mixed results. Certainly the loss to Tulane and playing in the PAC whatever diminished their accomplishments this past season.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i don’t think we can convince blackburn to move to TE and get production out of him at this point. he’d need to bulk up a ton

Obviously it's up to him, but he was rated higher as a TE prospect out of HS than a WR prospect. Prototypical TE frame. ESPN and UGA roster has Brock bowers listed at 6-4 230lbs (though I think he's closer to 240-250). Blackburn is listed at 6-5 221 lbs.

As @iceeater1969 mentioned, he doesn't technically need to a be a "tight end", our OC can always motion him as a slot TE or play him as a receiving TE off the the OT. To me, it's a multi year process for Blackburn. This year: learn the TE position, and use him as a receiving TE, and to block on the edges versus LBs/DBs and chip the DE (as opposed to an in line blocker that has to take on the DE straight up). Gain some weight into the 230's. Next season, get up to the 240-245is range and become an all around tight end. IMO, Blackburn's highest value right now is a receiving TE that can stretch the defense and give us chunk yardage in the passing game.

We'll see. I think Key/Faulkner know how to utilize talent. If TE is where Blackburn can help us the most, I'm certain they will sit him down and discuss it with him.