Portal Update

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The answer I am going to give you is the unknown. How can we say they wouldn’t have done better than who we started?

It is unknown at the time of transfer. By looking at stats and somewhat adjusting for difference in opponent quality reasonable inferences after the fact can be made.

Burress could have went to any college in America out of high school including the MLB draft. To assume he is leaving for big money at LSU or any other school for that matter is a little disingenuous to the guy. He obviously wanted to be at Tech from day 1.

I agree he wanted to be at GT from Day 1. But things change and he could be the national Fr of the year? He already is the ACC Fr of the year I think.

I did NOT assume Burress would leave only putting out the hypothetical for what it would mean. He is better than Tommy Tanks who was bought for high dollars. Speculation for what will happen in the portal is appropriate IMHO given the number of players in the portal.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
It is unknown at the time of transfer. By looking at stats and somewhat adjusting for difference in opponent quality reasonable inferences after the fact can be made.
Let’s look at Wofford. Yunger (transfer from) vs Hare (transfer to). Stats would argue Hare is the better player.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ga Tech isn't really trying to compete in the "pay for play" game in any sport. Any player (like Burress) who comes here can definitely make more money by transferring to programs more well funded & organized for that. Also... every player's situation is different. Trying to understand their motivation without actually hearing directly from them is likely not going to be accurate.

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer

I agree he wanted to be at GT from Day 1. But things change and he could be the national Fr of the year? He already is the ACC Fr of the year I think.

I did NOT assume Burress would leave only putting out the hypothetical for what it would mean. He is better than Tommy Tanks who was bought for high dollars. Speculation for what will happen in the portal is appropriate IMHO given the number of players in the portal.

I’ve watched every game this year and if Burress leaves for any reason it would blow my mind. Guy is the leader of the team and I believe really loves Ga. Tech you can tell with his body language.

Also if you are drafted in the top 5 rounds you are getting close to 1 million. Burress was a projected 1st round pick. Maybe LSU will give him Pittsburgh Pirate money?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve watched every game this year and if Burress leaves for any reason it would blow my mind. Guy is the leader of the team and I believe really loves Ga. Tech you can tell with his body language.
Good point. Hope you're correct. I have no idea one way or the other. However, I'd expect him to be that way regardless. He's different than any player on the field. Every moment he's out there... he's "interviewing" for his baseball career. Body language is a pretty big part of that.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you saying down a level because Mercer is not a P5? Hare and Frye are at Mercer. Hare had a very good summer in the NECBL including 12 HRs. Frye is being talked about a late round draft pick

Hare is at Wofford, my error
Yes, Mercer is not a P5, nor a usual entrant in the NCAA tournament, so that is why I say they are a level down. Wofford would similarly be a step down, IMO. Not a knock on those programs, but I don’t think that is a controversial thought.

I misread your first post a little. You said the transfers turned out “just fine”. I read that as the transfers did better from a baseball POV than they did at Tech. I would define that as either being a major contributor on a team that made a deep run in the post-season, or becoming an all-conference level performer at a lower level school. Owings is still the last one I can think of who that statement would apply to, with possibly Frye as another example. I’ll have to investigate Hare and how he has performed at Wofford, I’ll admit I don’t know the answer on that one.

Last edited:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone talking about the number of transfers we will have ponder this. If CDH is forced to "retire" as many of you are calling for, we would see a massive number of players in the portal....unless we immediately announce his replacement is CJR and even then I believe a lot of players' loyalty lie with Hall. That might keep a majority of players on board. But try to do a coaching search and the new coach won't have much of a team left.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, Mercer is not a P5, nor a usual entrant in the NCAA tournament, so that is why I say they are a level down. Wofford would similarly be a step down, IMO. Not a knock on those programs, but I don’t think that is a controversial thought.
Just a side note, many of our starters are from these level down schools.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Burress could have went to any college in America out of high school including the MLB draft. To assume he is leaving for big money at LSU or any other school for that matter is a little disingenuous to the guy. He obviously wanted to be at Tech from day 1.
If Drew leaves he is going the juco route so he can enter the draft a year earlier. That is story I'm hearing from a patent on the team.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
If Drew leaves he is going the juco route so he can enter the draft a year earlier. That is story I'm hearing from a patent on the team.
That is what I have heard from some on this board. But my question, and the question Drew and his family need to answer, is does that make sense for his best long term future? ACC freshman of the year. Great accomplishment!

Are you going to advance more as a player at a JUCO school in one year, or at GT playing elite talent in the ACC for two? How are you going to grow as a person? Are you going to be ready for the minor leagues mentally? Realistically, that is the main question for most minor league players. Are you ready for the physical and mental grind that professional baseball will take on you? For most players, the answer is NO!

A program like Georgia Tech to me is the best of both worlds. In baseball, it tries to prepare you physically to handle the rigors of professional ball. On the other hand, it prepares you mentally with it's academic rigor.

I am biased of course. I would love to see 2 more years of Drew!

Let's go Jackets! Beat Georgia!

Quietman6520

Georgia Tech Fan
The vast majority go on to start and play. How well is all perspective. We get all excited off these top nationally recruiting classes when they post. Yet, the majority will not play or only see inconsistent time. So when they leave we belittle them saying they were not contributors while at the same time beat up the coaches for lack of development and decision making. I understand post Covid they will only get 4 years, not 5+ with the COVID era. So while we have players enjoying year 5 +, others who ideally who should be playing, just lost a year of there 4. The term “go where you can play” rings more true today than ever. The obstacle is the used car salesman, AKA coaches, who tell everyone they will start.
You are 100% correct about the used car salesman. All coaches Lie. Truth is you don't need a 40 or even 35 man roster. We won 2 acc titles with a 30 man roster back in the 80s.