Please for sanity, change your starting DL. PLEASE

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Missing tackles is maddening for sure but as I watch a lot of college football, I'm willing to bet that most teams' fan bases are typing the same thing we do. There is a lot of bad tackling all up and down the ranks of college football.

Isn't it still as simple as tackling the opponent's belt buckle? :)

Its easier to make a tackle when you are close to the guy. When the scheme puts you 15 yards off, the QB passes, the guy makes a catch on a 6 yard out route...our DB is around 10-12 yards from this WR (sound familiar) at the point when the WR catches the ball, the DB now has to cover 10 yards, in space, with a shifty athletic WR who has gathered himself and turned up field.

LOL, you guys know how hard that is to do consistently tackling? It is FREAKING HARD. If you don't have a lb and S always there in this scenario its a missed tackle more than 50% of the time. And look at our results?

Go watch the tape. If our DB is within 5 yards of the WR making the catch, the WR can't fully gather and turn up field as the DB closes...much easier tackle....

If you guys dont' think scheme can help a tackling defense...well..then...i submit to you the GT tape.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Its easier to make a tackle when you are close to the guy. When the scheme puts you 15 yards off, the QB passes, the guy makes a catch on a 6 yard out route...our DB is around 10-12 yards from this WR (sound familiar) at the point when the WR catches the ball, the DB now has to cover 10 yards, in space, with a shifty athletic WR who has gathered himself and turned up field.

LOL, you guys know how hard that is to do consistently tackling? It is FREAKING HARD. If you don't have a lb and S always there in this scenario its a missed tackle more than 50% of the time. And look at our results?

Go watch the tape. If our DB is within 5 yards of the WR making the catch, the WR can't fully gather and turn up field as the DB closes...much easier tackle....

If you guys dont' think scheme can help a tackling defense...well..then...i submit to you the GT tape.

Speed is another issue in poor tackling. If the opponent is faster he puts you out of a "football position" and into turning your hips and shoulders, pumping your arms, running with long strides, etc and this kills your proper tackling technique. You notice we do a lot of diving ( mostly from behind) and making a weak hit with no wrap resulting in a no tackle. Part of the issue is lack of speed with our DBs, especially the Ss. And part is just poor tackling technique which should be coaching correctable.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Good point about scheme and how being closer to the guy makes it easier. We sometimes seem to want to close on the guy with matching speed making it easier to get juked.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This just isn't true. A surplus of 1000 calories a day with heavy weight training would net you near 2 lbs of healthy weight a week. The hardest part of this would be actually eating the surplus if the person is also adding cardio workouts as well.

Even if we go conservative and say 1-1.5 pounds of healthy mass a week, that is still doable in an offseason if the person gets after it and doesn't relapse on their dieting.
Are you sure you have your numbers right? When you say 1 to 1.5 pounds a week of GOOD weight, do you realize that is 52 to 75 pounds a year? Nobody does that. People can put on weight and be able to carry weight, but it isn't all good weight. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, puts on 50 pounds a year of good weight UNLESS there is an unusual growth spurt going on, like adding 6 inches of height too. I never took steroids, but there was a time in my life that I worked pretty hard in the gym and ate right. I am talking 10 pounds in a year growth, for me was a lot. I showed up at TECH 190 lbs and the heaviest I ever got was 210. Every person is different, but 50+ pounds in one year? C'mon. JHD might be 280 right now, but he is carrying some of that. Heck, he was carrying some of the 245.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Are you sure you have your numbers right? When you say 1 to 1.5 pounds a week of GOOD weight, do you realize that is 52 to 75 pounds a year? Nobody does that. People can put on weight and be able to carry weight, but it isn't all good weight. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, puts on 50 pounds a year of good weight UNLESS there is an unusual growth spurt going on, like adding 6 inches of height too. I never took steroids, but there was a time in my life that I worked pretty hard in the gym and ate right. I am talking 10 pounds in a year growth, for me was a lot. I showed up at TECH 190 lbs and the heaviest I ever got was 210. Every person is different, but 50+ pounds in one year? C'mon. JHD might be 280 right now, but he is carrying some of that. Heck, he was carrying some of the 245.
I think 1.5 pounds a week of good weight might sound like it is pushing it but adding 30 pounds over the summer is not impossible given mitigating circumstances of age, growth stage and improved nutrition and training. Between the ages of 18 and 21 growth in males is often saltatory rather than gradual. The only restraining factor I see is whether your frame can carry it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Everyone is different, so it's impossible to say. Most people will eventually hit diminishing returns once they hit the limits of their frame. We were discussing someone who needs to put on weight, so I figured this wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, a 1-1.5 pound/week regimen isn't all going to be straight muscle; you always gain muscle and fat. The ratio of fat and muscle per pound is going to be determined by exercise, diet, and genetics. I assume we have nutritionists and doctors on staff that are able to monitor and track these values as weight is put on. Anything up to one pound a week usually minimizes the amount of fat you put on. The best thing is, if you gain too much fat while bulking, you should still be able to cut it. Hopefully the doctors could keep that from needing to happen.

I wouldn't expect most people to actually succeed in gaining that kind of weight that fast. It takes an incredible amount of dedication and an obsessive amount of control over the diet. I just wanted to make the statement that it would be possible, so we don't go around insinuating PED's if a guy does make gains of that magnitude.