Gotsis
Freeman
Blitz one LB

passing in 4man look
simmons
chungkong goes inside 3tech
gotsis 1tech
freeman

Please for the love of god and the health of my scotch bottle. JUST TRY THIS.

Yes, I get the fact that gamble isn't as good as gotsis/green. But he isn't worse than who we have out there now on the edge and by god, we have not stopped the run all year anyway LOL These are your best 4.

ok. I am done. Just had to say this. again. for 10 weeks straight now. again.

(oh and walk those cbs up in your zone more please...even if you don't want to blitz you can walk them up 4-6 yards more)

ok back to work

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If Coach Roof is listening, please scrap the scraping Mike anti-read option scheme. Let the mike just play it like he would a regular inside zone and tell the backside end to force the give every time. That way we don't have to guess whether and what sort of option we're facing.

At the end of the day, the answer is: Play defense, not defenses. More than anything, we need to commit to one thing and then drill the everloving crap out of it.
I feel for Roof, because he's been dealt the worse DL hand in history. Someone help me with this list: Anthony Williams, Robbins, Akins, Kitchen, JHD, Whithead....anyone else?

I agree with 33jacket that Gotsis is probably best used as a SDE but it's probably too late in the season for that.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Next year,

Gotsis
Gamble
Hunt-Days
Freeman/Whitehead

Help is coming but damn if we couldn't have had it this year with THIS schedule.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Next year,

Gotsis
Gamble
Hunt-Days
Freeman/Whitehead

Help is coming but damn if we couldn't have had it this year with THIS schedule.
Hunt-Days at DT scares me. I’m afraid he’s getting too fat. He’s a natural blitzing LB who could be pretty good at DE. DT not so much. That’s the biggest downside to moving Gotsis to DE. It’s so late in the season to try that and I wouldn’t want him there next year.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Why are we not in a 3-3-5, and blitzing the other team regularly? Literally, 1 of our 4 DL, bless his heart, is doing nothing. So let's just run with 3.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
the classic coaching dilemma. on one hand, I realize that coaches at all levels stick with the lineups that they believe give themselves the best shot at winning. on the other, doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is the definition of insanity. like the OP, I am a tinkerer by nature and like to experiment. however, I do not think it is in a football coach's DNA. Their formula is, apparently, whoever looks best on the practice field gets to play. i get that. Except for when it doesn't/isn't working.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the answer is pray to God that we score 50 every week, and the other team doesn't score 51. Laughing as I post. Can JT play defense too :)

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
There is the "gamer" aspect I did not weigh in my comment. My OP is the complexity to compare how a D player plays against slower or smaller than D1 talent in practice may not match 1:1 on game day.

Take speed - Our db may be fast enough to counter coverage issues against the scout teams that just isn't there on game day.
Take lineplay - Our DL may be able to use strength to offset poor footwork or leverage against the scout team but not on game day.
For our O - We get a scout team having JHD and Whitehead to provide D1 talent on the scout team and I would say this helps to provide a more accurate indication of what game day will be.

I am just trying to think out the box a bit to suggest that against quite dis-similar talent levels, the best 11 may be hard to identify. I think the real issue is we have some positions with so few SA available, the play is not likely to change with a change. It is likely some of our experienced players are underachieving and the younger ones are too raw on game day.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Defensive Names that I expected to hear called more on Saturdays for making plays this year:
Dominque Noble
Tremayne McNair
Anthony Harrell
Tyler Stargell
Lynn Griffin
(and Beau Hankins a bit)

@Eric any news on what's up with any of these guys?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Please explain. If you mean some guys are gamers, then I get it. But expecting the order of depth to miraculously flip flop on Saturday is counterintuitive.

I think the tl; dr version is he's saying the coaches are getting it wrong. I know, I know, coaches have more info than we do as they make those decisions. Doesn't mean they bat 1.000 though as they're human too.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
Defensive Names that I expected to hear called more on Saturdays for making plays this year:
Dominque Noble
Tremayne McNair
Anthony Harrell
Tyler Stargell
Lynn Griffin
(and Beau Hankins a bit)

I am with you on a few of these. Griffin and Harrell especially. I saw Beau in for a snap or two on Saturday and, let's just say, he needs a little more work on covering in space.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Dominque Noble
Tremayne McNair
Anthony Harrell
Tyler Stargell
Lynn Griffin
(and Beau Hankins a bit)

I think with McNair and Noble, we would have known by now if they were playmakers. It doesn't surprise me (and I don't think it surprises people inside the program) that they haven't contributed much this year. My opinion on Stargell is that he gives it his all but just may be lacking talent-wise. Griffin and Harrell may still haven't recovered from being behind due to suspension and injury, but I think the potential is there for those two more than the other three. Hankins' lack of PT does surprise me and is surprising to him too. I think it's just a thing of him having to earn it in the coaches' eyes. I'm sure Eric has more/better info to add.