Play of the season

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
I know the season isn't over, and our guys have made quite a bit of amazing plays this season, but this one stands out to me. It feels like an era ago.

I'd love to hear your nominees.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was going to say the Pick 6 by PJ vs VT was the most underrated, also maybe DJ's INT or the 4th and 10 pass to Smelter. But after watching this again I do agree it is this play. Love this team and this season, one of my favorite teams ever.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The biggest play of the year for me so far was Golden's pick 6 when Clemson was driving to go up two scores.

There were big plays in the GSU game but that game didn't matter as much since it was not ACC / UGAg. The plays against VT were huge too, the ones listed plus Snoddy's return from the end zone for about 40 yards.

But it's hard to do more than what Golden did on a single play - totally changed the game. You can say we would have won because Watson got hurt, but remember the score was on 9-3 at half for GT. Very easily could have bee 3-10 without that play and a motivated rather than deflated Clemson team. (I could have used numbers like this article but won't http://www.footballoutsiders.com/varsity-numbers/2008/varsity-numbers-six-missing-points )

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The biggest play of the year for me so far was Golden's pick 6 when Clemson was driving to go up two scores.

There were big plays in the GSU game but that game didn't matter as much since it was not ACC / UGAg. The plays against VT were huge too, the ones listed plus Snoddy's return from the end zone for about 40 yards.

But it's hard to do more than what Golden did on a single play - totally changed the game. You can say we would have won because Watson got hurt, but remember the score was on 9-3 at half for GT. Very easily could have bee 3-10 without that play and a motivated rather than deflated Clemson team. (I could have used numbers like this article but won't http://www.footballoutsiders.com/varsity-numbers/2008/varsity-numbers-six-missing-points )
CPJ would have never been able to rebound from a home loss to GSU. He may have even been fired on the spot for principal alone. No disrespect to GSU... But that just shouldnt happen.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT has been competitive, very much so in fact, in every season under CPJ. However, in recent years, most plays, like the ones described in this thread, have gone against us. I am really thankful for all of the plays mentioned so far. They are the difference between a decent, run of the mill, type season and a good one. Here is hoping for a few more in 2014!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT has been competitive, very much so in fact, in every season under CPJ. However, in recent years, most plays, like the ones described in this thread, have gone against us. I am really thankful for all of the plays mentioned so far. They are the difference between a decent, run of the mill, type season and a good one. Here is hoping for a few more in 2014!

What has happened this year, which is different in extent from all previous CPJ years in my opinion, it the degree to which we have continued to improve. I think that the continued improvement has been due to starting with a very young D, kids who have continued to gel and relatively few injuries.

But every year there are going to be a few games which one play makes a difference. This year many but not all the breaks have gone our way. There was an interesting article about how turnovers are mean reverting from year to year; e.g. the teams leading in turnovers one year don't usually the next. That is because there is a good bit of luck in who recovers fumbles (ints can be more skill based). I think the same thing happens on big plays but is harder to statistically isolate.