Play from 08-09?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Do any if you remember the old shovel pitch play we ran a few times in the spring games back then to Marcus Wright? Wonder if PJ just scrapped that play or doesn't feel like he needs it. Also, I haven't seen the draw since JD, unless I'm just misremembering?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do any if you remember the old shovel pitch play we ran a few times in the spring games back then to Marcus Wright? Wonder if PJ just scrapped that play or doesn't feel like he needs it. Also, I haven't seen the draw since JD, unless I'm just misremembering?
We use the QB draw quite a bit. When you have QBs that can really run, why hand the ball off? Having Dwyer at BB was a better alternative for the draw because he was a better / faster open field runner than Nesbitt. That really hasn't been the case the last few years. I'm not sure what you mean by shovel pitch. Are you talking about a fwd pitch (actually a pass) towards the line?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
We use the QB draw quite a bit. When you have QBs that can really run, why hand the ball off? Having Dwyer at BB was a better alternative for the draw because he was a better / faster open field runner than Nesbitt. That really hasn't been the case the last few years. I'm not sure what you mean by shovel pitch. Are you talking about a fwd pitch (actually a pass) towards the line?
Yes, it was almost like Marcus was crossing behind the los and Nesbitt/Jaybo would shovel it to him. Maybe I dreamed that but want to say I remember that in the spring game highlights from '09.

slugboy

Staff member
I remember a middle screen we'd run to Dwyer. I'm not remembering the shovel pass, but maybe that's just me.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, it was almost like Marcus was crossing behind the los and Nesbitt/Jaybo would shovel it to him. Maybe I dreamed that but want to say I remember that in the spring game highlights from '09.
No you didn't dream it and I know exactly what play you're talking about. The only time I saw it in an actual game was in Hawaii highlights though. The QB goes on a half or full roll and the back side aback moves parallel to the line of scrimmage. I can't remember if the back cuts up inside the play side DE or goes outside him though. Its a cool play and I'm sure well see it eventually just like the 3 stack with a wr and 2 a backs lined up in a row.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
He cuts it up under the DE. Good memory guys.

It's a hard play to get right IMO. I ran it as a coach....once. After practicing it 1000 times. Didn't seem worth the prep time for me, but that doesn't mean it won't be for GT