PLAY BALL!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Having a whiskey to celebrate.

How far did that Kel HR go? Off Brock! I can't find any stats......

But giving up 11 hits to 7 is bad. Curry and Ryan were solid; otherwise .........

BYU had 3 errors to our 1........

Win any way is good.
Kel's home run hit the B in Brock.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kel's home run hit the B in Brock.

Really. He had a sweet swing that made it look effortless. Definitely over 400 feet?

Stats are our on GT site and no pitch count :mad::mad: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2016-2017/gt021717.html#GAME.NCA But Curry did get 5 SO to 1 BB. Spread 5 hits over 5 innings. It's hit + walks that count! Probably hits + walks - SOs .......

Zac Attack came in and gave up a hit. In five batters, 3 ground outs!!, 1 SO and one hit. That is what we need from every pitcher. Strikes and let the D do their job with ground balls.

Offensive play of the day for me was the nine pitch walk by Austin Wilhite. Doesn't get any better than getting on base AND wearing the pitcher down. (Kel has set too high a bar - he only got 3 rbis.) Defensive play was Chase throwing out the runner at home.

The middle relief is troubling. Way too much suspense for me. But it's "not how you drive but how you arrive". I was glad to see Lee get pulled after an inning for Datoc. Hope Hall keeps going through the Roldex till he finds the gamers. Other GT baseball fans probably have PTSD from our pitching the last few years like me.

But can't be any better than 1-0.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Really. He had a sweet swing that made it look effortless. Definitely over 400 feet?

I would say that it was over 400 feet, but probably not as long as Puerifoy's home run. That ball was still rising when it hit the top of the batter's eye.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Offensive play of the day for me was the nine pitch walk by Austin Wilhite......Defensive play was Chase throwing out the runner at home.
Agree x 2! Huge at bat to lead off the 3rd inning setting up a bases loaded no-out situation. Actually wish we'd managed to do more damage in that inning. Foot was on their throat...2 runs was good; would have been nice to get more.

Three freshmen making big differences: Curry, A.Wilhite, Murray
Tiny sample size; but better to have positives than negatives.

Another good sign was Kel (in 3rd inn) managing to lift that 0-2 pitch to RF for a SAC fly.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great sign was no SOs by Kel.

How about VCU beating @ FSU!!!! Won 3-0 and FSU got one hit. Ouch. Along with the rest of the ACC losses, I guess we'll just have to win our games to get a good RPI. :whistle: ACC is only 9-7 to start. But the one which counts is 1-0.

Glad that UNC only has one Bukauskas. Struck out 10 in 6 shut out innings against Kentucky. Think UNC makes the NCAAs this year?

Oh yeah, the dwags lost to C of C. (y)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The game only lasted 2hrs 26min.

It's very possible that'll end up being the shortest game of the season. I didn't see the game. Listened via WREK. Anyone willing to assess/comment on Curry's pace. It sounded like he was working very quickly.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Marshall is putting up probably their best pitcher today..... Jacob Niggemeyer had 2.11 ERA in 68.1 IP for Iowa Western last year .... he's traveled around. Marshall lost to Ga Southern yesterday 3-8..... used 5 pitchers ....... http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/jacob_niggemeyer_1031268.html

But we really have a murder's row for opposing pitchers, hope we get at least 10.

I'll only get to listen to parts of the games today and tomorrow, I envy those who can go to the Rusty C ..... family duties intrude. I did watch Curry a bit after the first yesterday and he looked very composed. Really did great to get some outs after falling behind 3-0. Almost like he was a cat playing with a mouse before the kill.

Oh well, on the road again.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry if this has been discussed, but can someone provide a Tristan English update? Is he injured or is he just pitching this year? Didn't see him yesterday.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
No one has mentioned the new screen behind home plate. It has now been extended to just beyond the outfield side of both dugouts.If you don't want to look through the screen you had better get as far away from home plate as you can. I imagine it is a new NCAA rule, but it certainly improves safety. A line drive or slung bat can do a lot of damage.
Also, the weather radar shows the rain moving out of the Atlanta area, so the game should be OK.