Pittsburgh - ACC Weekend #3

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rah rah ****. We suck on defense and pitching. Not sure we deserve to be top 20. But it's been a great weekend and beautiful weather. Time will tell if we get our **** together - like the basketball team.

Pitt is very well coached and deserved to win the series. We are fortunate we didn't get swept. I love the Pitt coach pulling a pitcher mid-count. That is the Right Hook!

Looking at ER today we WON!!!! 12-9. Lack of focus? Lack of coaching? Lack of talent? Not bad luck as we are at like 25 errors this year. To me, that is the biggest shortfall and really kicks the pitchers in the nuts when we don't field behind them. (Our pitchers have more than their share of errors, wild pitches, HBPs.)

Oh well, never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems. Overall, we suck right now and need to understand that baseball is more than hitting the ball (where we are elite).

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Good lord, one bad series loss and the first ACC series loss in 2 years and it seems like some of y'all are ready to give up on the team. I'm glad that the guys don't give up like some of y'all do and kept fighting back in today's game.

It's clear that we need to find a closer and the defense absolutely has to be shored up. But, I love the rotation and the lineup and they can carry us until the other issues are fixed. It's also important to remember that we are still a relatively young and inexperienced team, so inconsistency should be expected throughout the year.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Rah rah ****. We suck on defense and pitching. Not sure we deserve to be top 20. But it's been a great weekend and beautiful weather. Time will tell if we get our **** together - like the basketball team.

Pitt is very well coached and deserved to win the series. We are fortunate we didn't get swept. I love the Pitt coach pulling a pitcher mid-count. That is the Right Hook!

Looking at ER today we WON!!!! 12-9. Lack of focus? Lack of coaching? Lack of talent? Not bad luck as we are at like 25 errors this year. To me, that is the biggest shortfall and really kicks the pitchers in the nuts when we don't field behind them. (Our pitchers have more than their share of errors, wild pitches, HBPs.)

Oh well, never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems. Overall, we suck right now and need to understand that baseball is more than hitting the ball (where we are elite).
Unacceptable performance this weekend for sure. I hope it's a wake up call to these kids that they can't just show up and walk over every team they play. Series wins at NC State and against Louisville were great. Our shortcomings this year (walks and errors) hurt us again this weekend. Didn't walk many guys if I recall, but errors cost us the series and a sweep. Need to play better.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Good lord, one bad series loss and the first ACC series loss in 2 years and it seems like some of y'all are ready to give up on the team. I'm glad that the guys don't give up like some of y'all do and kept fighting back in today's game.

It's clear that we need to find a closer and the defense absolutely has to be shored up. But, I love the rotation and the lineup and they can carry us until the other issues are fixed. It's also important to remember that we are still a relatively young and inexperienced team, so inconsistency should be expected throughout the year.
Agreed. However, the inconsistency in fielding has been from our more experienced players, if I'm not mistaken...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. However, the inconsistency in fielding has been from our more experienced players, if I'm not mistaken...
Yeah, Waddell has 6 errors which is unbelievable to me. He has been so solid and this year he just can't find it in the field.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Not giving up, just saying we have to get a lot better. I would be very surprised if everyone from coaches to players to us peons didn't agree with that. Will we get better is the question.

Hall is the one primarily responsible for the defense and we have had very good defenses year in and year out. So that *can/should* get fixed based on past experience. Malloy has to be at 3rd. Waddell will get better since he hasn't forgotten how to field. Austin is ok. 1st is an adventure but I think I like Compton there. The OF should have no errors or should be benched IHMO. Catcher is solid with Parada. Pitchers aren't fielding their position.

Ramsey is the one primarily responsible for hitting and base running and is doing a freaking fabulous job.

DBo is the one to get pitchers ready and calling in game pitches I think. I'm not sure of the responsibility split between DBo and Hall for which pitcher to call up and when to pull them. That selection and hook is the problem to me. We dunk the guys in the lake too long to see if they are warlocks*. Jesus we have a bunch of pitchers and if what we are seeing is the best we have, then there is something very fundamentally wrong.

(*adaptation of witch testing)

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Going into the season I believed we would improve as we went along due to the youth. NC State and Louisville fooled me into thinking we were further along. I admit, I'm surprised where some of the issues are coming from but I still believe we'll be better by then end of the year.

Don't take my gold colored glasses from me!!!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Going into the season I believed we would improve as we went along due to the youth. NC State and Louisville fooled me into thinking we were further along. I admit, I'm surprised where some of the issues are coming from but I still believe we'll be better by then end of the year.

Don't take my gold colored glasses from me!!!
This was my thought too. I honestly thought we'd be around .500 for the first couple of months and be 4-5 after the first 3 weekends of ACC play. We are ahead of both of those marks and our issues are things that can be fixed.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I HOPE the pitching can be fixed.

But I will need to see the improvement before I bee-lieve it!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, all I can say is it’s still early in the season. Long way to go.

We will see ...

“You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.” — Yogi Berra

“I never said half the things I said.” — Yogi again

Deleted member 2897

Well ladies and gentlemen, the long streak of consecutive ACC series wins going back to 2019 came to and end this weekend. And in a most inglorious way - losing a 4 run lead in the 9th inning on Friday. Its crazy that we scored 9 runs and 11 runs in games 1 and 3 and lost both. Just sad really.

On the flipside, we are 6-3 in the ACC. That's essentially going 2-1 every weekend.

There's only 1 team in the conference better than that....the shocking Notre Dame team who started with 3 straight road series (!), went 2-1 at Wake, 2-1 at Clemson, and just swept Virginia on the road. Crazy.

Our next series at Wake, at Duke, and home against Virginia represent teams who are 1-4, 3-3, and 2-7. Hopefully by the end of that stretch we're 12-6 in the ACC and 16-8 overall. Honestly we should sweep someone in there and not just shoot for 2-1, but baseball is a crazy sport.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Well ladies and gentlemen, the long streak of consecutive ACC series wins going back to 2019 came to and end this weekend. And in a most inglorious way - losing a 4 run lead in the 9th inning on Friday. Its crazy that we scored 9 runs and 11 runs in games 1 and 3 and lost both. Just sad really.

On the flipside, we are 6-3 in the ACC. That's essentially going 2-1 every weekend.

There's only 1 team in the conference better than that....the shocking Notre Dame team who started with 3 straight road series (!), went 2-1 at Wake, 2-1 at Clemson, and just swept Virginia on the road. Crazy.

Our next series at Wake, at Duke, and home against Virginia represent teams who are 1-4, 3-3, and 2-7. Hopefully by the end of that stretch we're 12-6 in the ACC and 16-8 overall. Honestly we should sweep someone in there and not just shoot for 2-1, but baseball is a crazy sport.
Scored 12 on Sunday, but who's counting...

Let's start another 12 game ACC series win streak this weekend.