Pittsburgh - ACC Weekend #3

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
I just want to say that while last night sucked, it was still only the 12th game of a 50 game season. Hall needs to learn what his pitchers can and can't do if we're going to get where we want to go at the end of the season. Hurter was fantastic as was Maxwell (he should be the closer) and both were a little unlucky with the defense. Smith has been inconsistent this year, but I trust him to find it. Bartnicki has struggled his last 3 outings, and needs to be a middle reliever until he irons things out.

The good thing about baseball is we have a game today and how this team responds to last night will tell me a lot about them.
I also think Maxwell is our best bet at the end of game. Reminds me of a closer for Balt. many years ago that Weaver called two pack. Reason being that he would smoke two packs watching him pitch the ninth. If he's the closer, pour a tall one, and be ready to sweat a bit, but I feel he's our best option right now to close a game out.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Looks like I made a good decision to shut it down and go to bed up 8-6 in the 9th with 2 on and no one out. Had I listened to that, I would have been in an alcohol/error/pitching fueled rage for a while. As it was, got a good night's sleep, got up early, checked the score, dropped a few F-bombs, and took it out on my Nordic Trak for 40 minutes.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a million ways to win (or lose) baseball games. Ga Tech is not immune. Last night was/is hard to swallow. I think good baseball teams don't let this be more than a single event.
Totally agree. #23 West Virginia is about to lose their series to Central Michigan (down 12-0 top 8 of game 2) . #5 Florida (who have they beat) is went down to Jacksonville last night.

Things happen, I won't be worried until we make it a habit as you allude to.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. #23 West Virginia is about to lose their series to Central Michigan (down 12-0 top 8 of game 2) . #5 Florida (who have they beat) is went down to Jacksonville last night.

Things happen, I won't be worried until we make it a habit as you allude to.
The games Tech has lost, we have beaten ourselves. Walks, errors... Not sure we've been beaten yet this year without giving the other team a LOT of help.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Ga State was a spankin.
Cort got beat up in the first, but our pitching staff also had 13 BB, 3 HBP, 1 WP, and we had an error. We didn't hit, leading to the ultimate spanking. But we were only out hit 8 to 7. Lost 10-1. So the final spanking was ultimately due to our pitcher's inability to throw strikes.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Cort got beat up in the first, but our pitching staff also had 13 BB, 3 HBP, 1 WP, and we had an error. We didn't hit, leading to the ultimate spanking. But we were only out hit 8 to 7. Lost 10-1. So the final spanking was ultimately due to our pitcher's inability to throw strikes.
17 free baserunners in 9 innings. 2 per inning. That will lose you games against a D3 team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We play a TON of freshmen. It’s early, we’re making freshmen mistakes. Losing to Georgia State by 10 runs is one thing. But dang - being up big in the 9th and losing is just awful.

We start about 6 FR. But those aren't the guys making the errors. It's experienced players mostly. So I just don't frickin know. I'd sit some of the experienced players to get more time for Grenkoski, Jackson and Thomas.

Hard to exactly compare since there are more opportunities for errors in the infield but here are the ugly facts:
22 errors total; 5 Waddell, 2 Austin, 2 Malloy, 2 Hall (OF), 2 Holland, 1 Compton, Gonzalez, DeLeo, Reid, Jenkins + 4 pitchers @1 each (Hurter, Roedig, Chapman, Crawford)
1615671578583.png

Looks like I made a good decision to shut it down and go to bed up 8-6 in the 9th with 2 on and no one out. Had I listened to that, I would have been in an alcohol/error/pitching fueled rage for a while. As it was, got a good night's sleep, got up early, checked the score, dropped a few F-bombs, and took it out on my Nordic Trak for 40 minutes.

I wish I'd done that. There are some things you can't un-see. And seeing them right before you go to bed is a disasterous combination.

I know it’s just one game & obviously we have a ton of potential but as anyone really seen any pitching improvements since we hired this so called guru from the Yankees ?

As @eokerholm said, give him another couple of years to get his guys in and adjusted. I have seen the overall level of pitching improve in spots but Hall still rides a guy too long IMHO.

To your point though, right now our team ERA is 5.42. For the whole 2019 season it was 4.46 and 2018 it was 4.95. So no, the facts aren't there yet to say we are getting better. I could waive my hands and say it's early in the season and we've played better teams but that is just rhetoric.

I do believe in DBo much more than I ever believed in Howell. And hope I can produce facts at some point to justify that belief.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is Collin Hall still playing right now? He’s batting blowing .230 and has played terrible defense. If his name didn’t end in “Hall” he would not be starting. LITERALLY every game he is bating 1-6 in the order and playing center field. Reminds me of Rec league daddy baseball. I seriously Hope he improves because he’s is playing terrible baseball right now.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This video is worth a listen... some sliver of insight on how pitching is managed. Bottom line... we fans can think we know what's up & really we don't.

Example... tonight... Finley's forearm tightened up (after the 8th) forcing the decision to bring in Maxwell.

Archer admits he was "gassed" after 7.

...and yes DBo is the real deal. Ga Tech... after a bazillion years not doing it is DEVELOPING PITCHERS.