Pittsburgh - ACC Weekend #3

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Got to find a shutdown closer, fast. We have so many arms on the team this year ... is it that hard to find one who can get it done?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
We’ve been absurdly talented for 2 decades and can’t advance out of a regional. We’re putting up 10+ runs a game and can hardly hang onto games. There’s one reason for that. There’s one common theme. Just retire and let Ramsey lead us to the future.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
6 god damn hits and a walk before he hooks Bartnicki. How many fans could do a better job coaching at this point. Ludicrous. They literally bat around in the 9th before he senses danger.

Deleted member 2897

Wow, checked in here and there and went to bed up 8-4 in the 9th. 3 hours of hard work gone in 5 minutes. Sad.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yes, it is true that two separate errors in the OF—both on dropped fly balls and both with two outs!—led to a total of 5 unearned runs. These two errors ended up as the difference in the game.
That is true but the other half of the equation is how they ended up with so many baserunners to result in runs scored. You don’t let a struggling pitcher or one with a high pitch count to just keep floundering on the mound. C’mon man, casual fans knew Hurter was running out of gas & my wife knew Bartnicki was in trouble. This loss was mainly on the coaching staff.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
hopefully now that the pitching lab is complete they can start to dissect the pitching issues and rehab the situation. Hurter was beast for the first 6IP. Great outing by him. After that...Maxwell did fine and was out done for the inning until Tres' dropped 3rd out. Huge deflation of control after that. Just wasn't Smith's or Bartnicki's days. Some days are good, some days are like Georgia State game.....

Deleted member 2897

That is true but the other half of the equation is how they ended up with so many baserunners to result in runs scored. You don’t let a struggling pitcher or one with a high pitch count to just keep floundering on the mound. C’mon man, casual fans knew Hurter was running out of gas & my wife knew Bartnicki was in trouble. This loss was mainly on the coaching staff.

CDH is a hall of fame coach. But his one week spot there seems to be common agreement on, is at times leaving in a pitcher way beyond where they should be.

The 9th was fast. A quick hit then a quick home run, then 2 more hits. In less than 5 minutes it was 8-6 with the go ahead runner at home. I think after the home run, that was really his only option - bases clear, 8-6. Pressure free place for a new pitcher to come in with nobody on. That’s an extremely fast pull, only giving Bartnicki a handful of pitches, but what’s the downside? If the next pitcher gets rocked, at least you tried.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it is true that two separate errors in the OF—both on dropped fly balls and both with two outs!—led to a total of 5 unearned runs. These two errors ended up as the difference in the game.
I saw the gonzolaez whiff on the fly. Who made the other drop of FB? Was it routine. I changed it to unc/FSU with us up 7-3, came back for the last out with us down 11-9. I am really glad I missed what I did. Even missing it, still made me want to throw up in my mouth

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I saw the gonzolaez whiff on the fly. Who made the other drop of FB? Was it routine. I changed it to unc/FSU with us up 7-3, came back for the last out with us down 11-9. I am really glad I missed what I did. Even missing it, still made me want to throw up in my mouth
Tres' was routine. Hall dropped a fly ball centerfield. He had to hustle to get there, but he was there waiting on the ball and it hit the glove...heel... if I remember the nightmare correctly....

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I know it’s just one game & obviously we have a ton of potential but as anyone really seen any pitching improvements since we hired this so called guru from the Yankees ?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I just want to say that while last night sucked, it was still only the 12th game of a 50 game season. Hall needs to learn what his pitchers can and can't do if we're going to get where we want to go at the end of the season. Hurter was fantastic as was Maxwell (he should be the closer) and both were a little unlucky with the defense. Smith has been inconsistent this year, but I trust him to find it. Bartnicki has struggled his last 3 outings, and needs to be a middle reliever until he irons things out.

The good thing about baseball is we have a game today and how this team responds to last night will tell me a lot about them.

Deleted member 2897

I just want to say that while last night sucked, it was still only the 12th game of a 50 game season. Hall needs to learn what his pitchers can and can't do if we're going to get where we want to go at the end of the season. Hurter was fantastic as was Maxwell (he should be the closer) and both were a little unlucky with the defense. Smith has been inconsistent this year, but I trust him to find it. Bartnicki has struggled his last 3 outings, and needs to be a middle reliever until he irons things out.

The good thing about baseball is we have a game today and how this team responds to last night will tell me a lot about them.

We play a TON of freshmen. It’s early, we’re making freshmen mistakes. Losing to Georgia State by 10 runs is one thing. But dang - being up big in the 9th and losing is just awful.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
...any pitching improvements since we hired this so called guru from the Yankees ?
Miracles don’t happen over night or in 28 days in the fall. You were starting to see the improvement in the fall. Crawford, Archer, and others posted improvemts in pitch packages and metrics, as did DBo. Now that the county’s best pitching lab is done, give the Dr a chance to perform surgery with the tools and in the hospital he built. FYI, he also didn’t recruit any of these pitchers. 2021 is his first class of recruits. Just keep improving and getting better. Marathon not a sprint ...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We play a TON of freshmen. It’s early, we’re making freshmen mistakes. Losing to Georgia State by 10 runs is one thing. But dang - being up big in the 9th and losing is just awful.
Exactly. Pitt is also a veteran team who has experience playing in a lot of close games and putting together rallies. It was just a perfect storm last night and something you could see coming after Gonzalez made his error. I firmly believe if we get out of the inning there with no runs, we win going away because of the momentum that we would have had. Unfortunately, we just need the guys to learn from it and move on.