Pittsburgh - ACC Weekend #3

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Greetings brothers and sisters! No mid-week action for Ga Tech this week. None for this weekend's opponent (Pitt), either. Seems fair.

In a bit of a surprise, Pitt enters the upcoming ACC showdown in Atlanta tie for 2nd in the Coastal at 4-2. Not many would have predicted this entering the 3rd weekend of ACC action. By the way... in a normal year, this would be the 1st weekend of ACC action. Feels pretty good for the Jackets to be 5-1 right now... a seriously awesome start to 2021.

Pitt swept FSU in Tallahassee and followed that up with a 1-2 series at Duke last weekend. For Pitt this is the 3rd of 4 straight weekends on the road to start conference play. I try to find every little advantage.... I "hope" there is at least a little fatigue with such a deal... road trip after road trip.

D1 Baseball picked Pitt to finish LAST in the Coastal. I tend to believe D1 knows a little of what they are talking about and no time like the present to PROVE them correct. This is an enormous opportunity.., home series after 4 days of "rest" to put a strangle hold on our standing in the conference and the Coastal division.

Some stats...

Stat: GT / Pitt

Runs per Gm: 8.7 / 4.9
BA: .315 / .227
Slg%: .528 / .358
ERA: 5.36 / 2.84
BA against: .245 / .213
Opp record: 23-34 / 20-23

I'm going out on a limb to say Pitt pitching has not faced an offense similar to Ga Tech's. The Jackets "should" be a strong favorite to win the series.... I won't use the "S' word; but it is sooooooo sweeping tempting.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone see a Pitt baseball message board? A quick look around hasn't revealed one to me. It is fun to read opposing fans' thoughts and fears!

Deleted member 2897

Greetings brothers and sisters! No mid-week action for Ga Tech this week. None for this weekend's opponent (Pitt), either. Seems fair.

In a bit of a surprise, Pitt enters the upcoming ACC showdown in Atlanta tie for 2nd in the Coastal at 4-2. Not many would have predicted this entering the 3rd weekend of ACC action. By the way... in a normal year, this would be the 1st weekend of ACC action. Feels pretty good for the Jackets to be 5-1 right now... a seriously awesome start to 2021.

Pitt swept FSU in Tallahassee and followed that up with a 1-2 series at Duke last weekend. For Pitt this is the 3rd of 4 straight weekends on the road to start conference play. I try to find every little advantage.... I "hope" there is at least a little fatigue with such a deal... road trip after road trip.

D1 Baseball picked Pitt to finish LAST in the Coastal. I tend to believe D1 knows a little of what they are talking about and no time like the present to PROVE them correct. This is an enormous opportunity.., home series after 4 days of "rest" to put a strangle hold on our standing in the conference and the Coastal division.

Some stats...

Stat: GT / Pitt

Runs per Gm: 8.7 / 4.9
BA: .315 / .227
Slg%: .528 / .358
ERA: 5.36 / 2.84
BA against: .245 / .213
Opp record: 23-34 / 20-23

I'm going out on a limb to say Pitt pitching has not faced an offense similar to Ga Tech's. The Jackets "should" be a strong favorite to win the series.... I won't use the "S' word; but it is sooooooo sweeping tempting.

Going 2-1 would be amazing. But let’s start by winning game 1 this time!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Anyone see a Pitt baseball message board? A quick look around hasn't revealed one to me. It is fun to read opposing fans' thoughts and fears!

Their free rivals board has some discussion on baseball. Not much though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK. No one confidently predict a win till we have 27 outs in the game. Bad karma. The basketball side was very confident and then Jose got hurt (came back). Right now Warren Nolan predicts Pitt with be second in Coastal. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/conf-prediction?conference=ACC

1615498431801.png

I was 85-95% certain we'd beat Ga State. Bad repeat mistake on my part. Ain't happening again till next time.

Here's the Pitt record and the write-up about their sweep of FSU.

1615498136087.png

1615420210852.png

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
OK. No one confidently predict a win till we have 27 outs in the game. Bad karma. The basketball side was very confident and then Jose got hurt (came back). Right now Warren Nolan predicts Pitt with be second in Coastal. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/conf-prediction?conference=ACC

View attachment 10086

I was 85-95% certain we'd beat Ga State. Bad repeat mistake on my part. Ain't happening again till next time.

Here's the Pitt record and the write-up about their sweep of FSU.

View attachment 10085

View attachment 10070
I've seen Tech lose to Pittsburgh more times than I care to mention while seeing them on the road. No change here. Indiana State is usually a very good program. We can't assume this is a 3 game sweep, let alone a series win. Need to go out and play our best!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Looks like Pitt hasn’t picked a Sunday starter yet.

STARTING PITCHERS
  • Friday: RHP Mitch Myers (1-1, 2.45 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) | LHP Brant Hurter (1-0, 5.84 ERA, 1.38 WHIP)
  • Saturday: RHP Matt Gilbertson (2-0, 0.82 ERA, 1.00 WHIP) | RHP Andy Archer (1-1, 3.29 ERA, 1.32 WHIP)
  • Sunday: TBA | RHP Sam Crawford (1-0, 3.77 ERA, 1.05 WHIP)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Looks like Pitt hasn’t picked a Sunday starter yet.

STARTING PITCHERS
  • Friday: RHP Mitch Myers (1-1, 2.45 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) | LHP Brant Hurter (1-0, 5.84 ERA, 1.38 WHIP)
  • Saturday: RHP Matt Gilbertson (2-0, 0.82 ERA, 1.00 WHIP) | RHP Andy Archer (1-1, 3.29 ERA, 1.32 WHIP)
  • Sunday: TBA | RHP Sam Crawford (1-0, 3.77 ERA, 1.05 WHIP)

Interesting on starters. The Pitt source had old, not updated stats.
  • Mitch Myers is 1-2 with a 3.18 ERA. But dude has 26 SO versus 4 walks and WHP of 1.24. So you either SO against him or get a walk or hit. Apparently not a lot of room left for FO or GO. He was pretty good in the 4 week season last year. It will be interesting to see how we approach him. He's lasted and average of almost 6.0 IP/game. So I like running up the count and getting to the bullpen early, especially on Friday. (I'd probably say that about every Friday night starter.) http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=226725
  • Matt Gilbertson is 2-1 with a 3.94 ERA. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=226728 He also throws strikes but not as effectively with 20 SO and 5 BB. He lasts about 5.1 IP/game. He was really good last year with a 1.13 ERA starting.
  • The TBA pitcher? Against FSU, Pitt used 10 pitchers to win in the third game (I approve of the quick hook!). Against Duke, Stephen Hansen started but gave up 4ER in 3.2IP. Pitt won 5-4 using only 3 pitchers so Hansen gave up all the runs. I'd be TBA too!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Rough game. Bartnicki isn't the closer and we need to find someone else for that role. Maybe Finley or Chapman.