PITT's other Opponents

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You must be new to these parts. It is a article of faith for any Tech fan to be questioning and hypercritical of his team. Being a Tech fan is sort of like undergoing a ritual of pain and sacrifice in order to purge oneself of weakness and sin. Even when I sat at the Citrus Bowl watching us destroy a Nebraska team that was favored to beat us, I really thought that at the last minute something would happen to deny us a well earned national championship. Actually, it did a phantom clipping call wiped out a Notre Dame punt return that would have beaten Colorado and given us an undisputed national championship but that's another story. Point is, when you have recruiting rankings typically in the 3os or worse the margin for error is pretty small. It is true that we could beat a lot of teams currently in the top 25 as you say but the fact remains there are plenty of teams currently ranked much worse than we are that could on a good day beat us as well. It is just that close.
Refs who can't count up to four (downs that is) cost us the undivided title. That was by far worse than the phantom clip. But I digress...

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Refs who can't count up to four (downs that is) cost us the undivided title. That was by far worse than the phantom clip. But I digress...
Yep the infamous "5th Down" that Colorado got against... Missouri? or someone. I don't care what the AP says, there is no doubt in my mind that Georgia Tech was the best team in the country that year. If we played Colorado 5 times we would have won 4 we were that much better. IMHO

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The 3rd down stat blows me away. I don't recall many poorly thrown balls or dropped passes either. What I saw from my seat was a QB that wasn't comfortable throwing downfield (or nobody was open) and settled for the safe pass. They were in 3rd and long a lot and we would allow the short throw and make the tackle. All. Day. Long.

I didn't watch much of their other 2 games. Did the other QB start those games?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The 3rd down stat blows me away. I don't recall many poorly thrown balls or dropped passes either. What I saw from my seat was a QB that wasn't comfortable throwing downfield (or nobody was open) and settled for the safe pass. They were in 3rd and long a lot and we would allow the short throw and make the tackle. All. Day. Long.

I didn't watch much of their other 2 games. Did the other QB start those games?
Even on 4th and 15 trying to extend the game at the end of Q4, they still threw short of the sticks by 8 yards. I was scratching my head after that, but whatever.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Even on 4th and 15 trying to extend the game at the end of Q4, they still threw short of the sticks by 8 yards. I was scratching my head after that, but whatever.
I just listened to their coach's post game and he said they couldn't get anybody open and had to settle for check downs all day. But yeah, that 4th and 15 was bizarre. I say hats off to our D. I think Pitt went 3 and out after all 4 turnovers.