Pitt vs GT (-1.5)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was a weird game to watch in person. The small crowd was really hot at the refs and they should have been, until the last 2 minutes when Pitt had to foul the foul discrepancy was what kept Pitt in the game (along with JWF' shooting in the 2nd half).

Kristian had a good first half, but a poor second half. if his step back three had gone though it would have sent the roof off. That was a sweet move.
Moses was awful in first half but really good in the 2nd. Lots of poor decisions in the first half but good ones in the 2nd. He was just 2-10 from the floor. He frustrates me on offense, he has never met a shot he doesn't like.

Curtis looked more confident as the game went on. Had 2 beautiful threes and a third that went half way down and came back out.

Devoe did not play very well last night and made a few terrible decisions (fouling JWF on a off balance three). Was in foul trouble most of the night.

some of the fouls called on GT were clean blocks that the refs bailed Pitt out on.

GT did not handle the press well late in the first half, but for some of it they had Jose and 4 bigs in.

Not for the first time Jose was the best player on the floor and he absolutely schooled Johnson a couple of times. Johnson had 12 pts in the first half - mainly from the foul line but only had 2 FT's in the last 5 seconds in the 2nd half.

Banks has bad hands. If he had good hands he would be a double-double monster. He lost multiple rebounds because of his hands and he also has to take too long on offense to gather the ball which gives the defense time to react.

Good time to get a win and get some confidence, there are some winnable games left on the schedule.

Jose has 46 points his last 2 games on 15-24 shooting and 5-12 threes.

Anyone notice that Curtis and Jose almost seem to have a symbiotic relationship. They tend to play well together or play poorly together.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seemed like the crowd really got to McGowans. Ruthless on airball!

I think Pitt has been hitting 70% FT for the season or ACC. They do that and we might have lost.

They're a bad rebounding team, but they had too many against us, even their own missed FTs.

Clean it up. Get better. Win. Go Jackets.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, I see just the opposite. I think that Devoe is probably one of the better rebounders on the team. I'm sure that he is getting pushed around if he's the paint battling against bigger guys usually. All that said, he's currently averaging 3.6 per game, good for 4th on the team, however, AD is second with 4 rpg so Devoe is right there.

Great game by Moses, perhaps his finest ACC game yet. Just a great all around game for him. He was a force on the boards, and he really stepped up big after Big James went down with his 5th. If I am not mistaken, Moses had 2-3 blocks in the final 90 seconds. His offense will come around, especially around the basket. I can see it developing, but he has finish through contact better.
Total rebounding percentage leaders:

Banks (15.1%)
Gueye (12.0%)
Wright (11.6%)
Sjolund (6.8%)
Haywood (6.7%)
Devoe (6.7%)
Alvarado (6.6%)
Alston (5.4%)
Moore (5.3%)

So looks like I was wrong about Devoe being one of the worst rebounding guards, as he's on par with Alvarado and Haywood and is well above Moore and Alston. But he's also not what I would consider a top rebounder. You compare Gueye and Devoe, and while their per game numbers are comparable, Devoe also averages 12 more minutes per game than Gueye - I'm guessing this is contributing to the difference in the rebounding percentage.

All in all I still think Devoe could stand to be more physical - but the same could be said for a lot of other guys (Moses, Sjolund, Curtis, etc.). This is an area where I'd like to see some improvement in the offseason.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Gueye always seems to be a weaker rebounder than he should be but those numbers apparently prove me wrong. I definitely do think Wright is one of our top rebounders. He just frustrates me on offense. Curtis does a lot of things really well without getting noticed. Moves the ball around well on offense, plays very good defense, and rebounds decent. Just appears to lack confidence in his game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Refs were bad at the Duke game last night unless you are a UNC fan. The ACC has always had problems with the way block/charge and shot blocks are called. It hurts ACC teams during NCAA tournament when the game is allowed to be more physical and more no calls. I was going back and forth between our game and the Duke game on tv.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing crowd last night to see maybe our last win this year. Reminded me of the duane morrison years. It was a good win for the team. They still have some fight in them.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I just wish Sjolund would not dribble when a defender is within 4 feet of him unless he has a clear path to the basket. He is not going to beat anybody with his dribble and he is sure not going to dribble out off trouble.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Total rebounding percentage leaders:

Banks (15.1%)
Gueye (12.0%)
Wright (11.6%)
Sjolund (6.8%)
Haywood (6.7%)
Devoe (6.7%)
Alvarado (6.6%)
Alston (5.4%)
Moore (5.3%)

So looks like I was wrong about Devoe being one of the worst rebounding guards, as he's on par with Alvarado and Haywood and is well above Moore and Alston. But he's also not what I would consider a top rebounder. You compare Gueye and Devoe, and while their per game numbers are comparable, Devoe also averages 12 more minutes per game than Gueye - I'm guessing this is contributing to the difference in the rebounding percentage.

All in all I still think Devoe could stand to be more physical - but the same could be said for a lot of other guys (Moses, Sjolund, Curtis, etc.). This is an area where I'd like to see some improvement in the offseason.

id like to see the rebound comparison on a r/m, basis not %

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You dolts who keep bragging about not getting the flu shot and not getting sick do realize that you’re a big part of the reason flu season hits as hard as it does and last as long as it does, right?

You guys may have a strong enough natural immune system to fight the virus off without being adversely affected, but you are a walking carrier that passes the unhindered virus to everyone around you. Good job!

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
You dolts who keep bragging about not getting the flu shot and not getting sick do realize that you’re a big part of the reason flu season hits as hard as it does and last as long as it does, right?

You guys may have a strong enough natural immune system to fight the virus off without being adversely affected, but you are a walking carrier that passes the unhindered virus to everyone around you. Good job!

I used to never get flu shots. Then I had a kid, and the doctor explained to me how dumb I was being.

You don't get the flu shot for you. You get it for the herd immunity.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I'm actually interested in the vaccination topic and will contribute if there's another thread. Let's move future conversation to the lounge though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Thanks

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I just wish Sjolund would not dribble when a defender is within 4 feet of him unless he has a clear path to the basket. He is not going to beat anybody with his dribble and he is sure not going to dribble out off trouble.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Eh.....that fool court drive and dunk attempt against FSU says other wise

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pea, i'm not one to complain about refs much, but there were some really bad calls last night.
also agree on Sjolund. i don't like seeing him dribbling alot when guarded by a small guard, but against a bigger wing I have no problem with it.

When this FR class was signed Rivals singled out Sjolund as a sleeper prospect for the ACC. Said he would need time to develop his body in college and get used to the physicality, but that his skill set as he developed could help him develop into a really good college player.