Pitt January 14th Game

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t watch the game but something in the final stat line caught my attention. Can someone explain to me how we shot 3 free throws all game long? And on top of that we missed all three?!?!? Oh and Pitt got 20? Did we just jack up 3’s all game? At least we finally out rebounded somebody….
Pastner said we are missing too many short shots. That would be more excusable if we were drawing fouls. We can't hit shots near the basket and can't draw fouls. Bad combination. Good teams do both.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
For the record, I gave you the classic lol-to-cry 'like'.

Sad Kristen Bell GIF

I take no glee in saying there's 3 guys who I hope are with us next year, but I'd be surprised to see with us next year.
The core is Moore, Coleman and Kelly. I think two will be back. Cain is a player that intrigues me but if we are going to continue to run this garbage offense, which has become apparent, we need a passing big man that can drill mid range jumpers. Moore as a small ball 5 might be that guy but I doubt it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Moore isn’t a 5. Hoping he is our stretch 4
I would include Devion in the core
Coleman is the one I worry doesn’t feel like he fits

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Deivon leaves. Pastner has built him into a really solid player with more to develop over the next year and he’s starting to take the prime leadership role. Deebo is who I’m most worried about. I don’t think we have an offense that gets him the type of scoring opportunities he excels at.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think Deivon leaves. Pastner has built him into a really solid player with more to develop over the next year and he’s starting to take the prime leadership role. Deebo is who I’m most worried about. I don’t think we have an offense that gets him the type of scoring opportunities he excels at.
I feel similarly about Deebo. My question is what are the type of scoring opportunities that he excels at? Im guessing maybe wide open spot up 3’s? He actually does “ok” going downhill in the lane by using his body mass, but he doesn’t look particularly comfortable or eager doing it in my opinion, and he has no hops, so he is limited to just using his body to shield off defenders when he attacks the basket. I also think he looks extremely uncomfortable as the primary ball handler like he has been starting the last 3 games or so, although I think that coaching move has worked out to some degree because benching the point guards seems to have somewhat lit a fire under them both.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I feel similarly about Deebo. My question is what are the type of scoring opportunities that he excels at? Im guessing maybe wide open spot up 3’s? He actually does “ok” going downhill in the lane by using his body mass, but he doesn’t look particularly comfortable or eager doing it in my opinion, and he has no hops, so he is limited to just using his body to shield off defenders when he attacks the basket. I also think he looks extremely uncomfortable as the primary ball handler like he has been starting the last 3 games or so, although I think that coaching move has worked out to some degree because benching the point guards seems to have somewhat lit a fire under them both.
Yes spot on. He’s the guy you kick to after the drive. Or he gets the extra pass after the defense closes out the first guy. And if you can’t kick to him, it’s probably because he’s such a high percentage shooter that the help defender on the wing has to stay by him.

I’m definitely surprised by how limited his skill set is. I think I was blinded by the fact that Devoe/Ush got him all the open 3s he could ask for. I’m actually kind of stunned seeing he only averaged 6.2ppg last year, I thought he was closer to 8-9.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot guys who are catch and shoot skill set. They are really valuable on most teams. Our issue is we don’t do anything to help him. Force switches or space things so his defender has to go help. He is a Morrow type shooter not a Jack bucket getter - and that is not all bad