Pitt is favored

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Been waiting for this one though. The loss last year left a bad taste with Pickett trash talking a tight win going up against the piecework DL we had. Not sure more than 1 or 2 of the guys who started on DL that game are even in the 2-deep right now.
Do they still have that mini-RB who Hershel Walkered us for 200+ yards last year? That was humiliating. I’d pay money to see one of those patented Tariq Carpenter targeting hits on him

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Did we ever get the backstory on “the handshake”? So bizarre.
I think it was much ado about nothing but Pat can be...shall we say...difficult in the best of times so maybe there is genuine dislike on the part of both coaches and both teams as the game was "chippy" as the kids are wont to say.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Do they still have that mini-RB who Hershel Walkered us for 200+ yards last year? That was humiliating. I’d pay money to see one of those patented Tariq Carpenter targeting hits on him
Yep and he continues to live off the fame of that one game having done next to nothing since. Pitt is a one trick pony but that one trick is pretty good.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I tried to edit that with more information to answer your question but Vincent Davis is whom you referenced. He got 247 yards that day which is more than a third of his season total of 632. So far this year he has 153 yards rushing and a gaudy 3.6 average with 2 TDs. Saving his best for us again I see. Stop him and get after Pickett with the "Mayhem" would seem to be a winning formula for the Jacket defense.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We shouldn't be favored and it's probably better that we remain underdogs. Maybe our boys will feel disrespected and use it as motivation to curb stomp Pitt.
Maybe we shouldn't but this team, meaning Pitt, has done nothing this year but go crazy on teams with no defense. I know 50 plus points a game is more than pretty good but the day of reckoning is upon the Panthers. Can they handle the "Mayhem"? Can Pickett avoid sacks, interceptions, and turnovers? Stop Davis and unleash the "Mayhem" on Pickett would seem to my untrained eye the path to victory.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
It is tough to play 3 emotional games in a row. We have played well against Clemson (primarily defense) and NC. Keeping it together 3 straight weeks on an emotional high is not easy. A huge key is whether Jeff Sims can play error free football. He obviously proved Saturday he has all kinds of talent. But Sims not fumbling or throwing picks will dramatically increase our chances for a win. Yates was really good at no turnovers but obviously couldn't bring the same level of talent in being a game changer. I think whomever wins the turnover battle will win this game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Is Pickett considered to be a NFL prospect? I’m guessing not since he’s been at Pitt for about ten years it seems

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Is Pickett considered to be a NFL prospect? I’m guessing not since he’s been at Pitt for about ten years it seems
He was going to be a 5th-6th rounder if he came out last year. Part of the reason he came back was to try to improve that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I meant defenseless New Hampshire. Miami hanged 70 plus on Central Conn as well. Pickett will have his own challenges for our defense. He is regarded as "Howell lite" but he has a receiver #11 who can flat go up and get the ball. He may benefit from a better offensive line too. We will see. Pitt is averaging over 50 points a game. Even the game they lost to Western Michigan they scored 41. They are second in the nation out of 130 in scoring.
I hope u are right about them being very effective at beating crummy teams. In 2015 when we went to ND their fans were very worried as we had 500 yds rushing in each of first 2 games. Thier grown men came out and hammered or young backs .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lets see Pitt beat U mass who is 0-4. Tenn but still give up 34 points Western Mich and New Hampshire who I didn't know even played football. I'm not buying Pitt as a good team maybe avg but not good.
The "football" being played by New Hampshire has about as much in common with the football being played in the ACC and SEC as that played by Rutgers and Princeton in the first college football game in 1869 to the football being played today.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I said this prior to the UNC game and I will say it again. After watching the condensed games and highlights for Pitt, I am truly not that worried about them.

Their D appears less than average, although their 3rd level defenders seem legit. Their O Line is far from Elite and I believe our team can bring pressure if they play with the same energy they have thus far.

You see 2 keys to this game. Our QB cant throw sloppy deep passes and must protect the ball from interceptions, again with 60%+ completions. And our Defense must pressure the opposing QB , at least enough to make him throw quickly rather than deep.

If these things happen, we win by 2 scores or more. If we fail at either, we lose.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue why Pitt should be favored. Clemson and UNC may be down but they are still good programs.
Two reasons I think but neither of which is a good enough answer to your question. One, Pitt is coming off a ridiculously easy creampuff win while Tech is coming off its second emotionally and physically draining conference game. Secondly, 50 points a game is pretty good even against air. Other than that, you will have to ask the bookies.