GT Wins Over Pitt

• 0-3 BC Repeat

• 1-2

• 2-1

• 3-0 Presbyterian Repeat

Results are only viewable after voting.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Was again at the game. Got there a little late, so I missed Kel's HR. I must admit though that he did not look good on his next three AB's (2 K's and a weak grounder to third). Looks like he is getting a pretty steady diet of curves down and away, and he just has not figured out how to handle them. Not sure now that it's the ankle as opposed to having a hole in his swing that other teams have learned about, and they are pitching him that way. I am guessing (but only guessing) that he simply got a fast ball in the 1st and he handled it.

As far as the rest of the night is concerned...just a great evening to be a Yellow Jacket fan. Total domination. Nice, comfortable win (and this team hasn't has many of those this year!).

Was this our first game of the season without walking an opposing hitter? Sure makes life a whole let easier for our pitching. Also, Craport looked solid. Wonder why he hadn't gotten more innings compared to some of our other bullpen guys. If Gorst hadn't had this wild streak of late, I am guessing this would have been his game to finish. But very pleased with what we saw from Craport.

The Pitt starter today has an ERA of nearly 6 in ACC games and is 0-6 (iirc from what WREK said in the post game show). Need the offense to do it again today.

By the way, does anyone else enjoy the quality of announcing on WREK as much as I do?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......... By the way, does anyone else enjoy the quality of announcing on WREK as much as I do?

Yes! (y) I'd rather listen to the game than watch it on ESPN3. Plus you can tell the rapport between the players and student announcers in the pre and post game segments. I try to catch most of those even if I miss most of the game. WREK really adds to the enjoyment of the game for me.

About Kel, thanks for the insight. Is that hole something that is usually corrected?

I really hope Parr has turned the corner .... it will happen probably since he is only a RSo. Here are some highlights of Parr from the media guide...... makes it sound like a no-brainer that he should be our third starter (but I guess that's what media guides are supposed to do. Note when he got bombed the earned runs aren't listed.)

Today is the day I would expect Pitt to use their best pitchers since it's their best chance for a win.

>> 2013 Academic All-ACC selection.
>> Has been granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA after missing much of last season with a shoulder
injury
... This is his redshirt sophomore season.
>> Went five innings in his first start since March of 2013 and surrendered three runs, just two earned,
while notching an Opening Day victory behind 17 runs of support against St. John’s on 2/13.
>> Went five innings versus No. 23 FIU in Myrtle Beach on 2/21 but did not factor in the decision as the
Yellow Jackets won 16-9 thanks to an eight-run rally in the ninth.
>> Pitched gem versus Indiana State on 2/27, going a season-long six shutout innings and allowing just
one hit and one walk with four strikeouts. Thanks to A.J. Murray’s fifth-inning homer, Tech won the game
1-0 for King’s 10th career win and his third career combined shutout.
>> Went seven strong innings versus Notre Dame on 3/6, allowing just four hits and two runs with five
strikeouts to tie a career-high, but did not factor in Tech’s 3-2 loss in 10 innings.
>> Battled through 5.2 innings at Duke on 3/13, allowing nine hits but walking none and fanning a
career-high six batters... Turned a 2-2 game over to the bullpen and the Jackets pulled out a 5-2 win.
>> Pitched seven innings in the series-opener vs. No. 18 North Carolina and allowed three runs, but
did not factor in the decision in the Jackets’ 5-3 setback... UNC hit a two-run homer in the ninth inning to
break a 3-3 tie.
>> Gutted out another start that took him into the seventh inning at Virginia Tech on 4/3, scattering 11
hits and allowing five runs (four earned) with four strikeouts and one walk... Received a no-decision as Tech
rallied late to win 11-5.
>> Pitched six strong innings at Boston College on 4/17, but absorbed a tough 1-0 loss. He scattered
fi ve singles with three strikeouts and two walks.
>> Gave the Jackets 6.2 strong innings in a Friday night start vs. Clemson’s Matthew Crownover, allowing
four hits and two runs (one earned)... Received a no-decision as Tech rallied late and beat the Tigers
4-2 en route to a series win.
>> Pitched a career-long 8.0 innings against Presbyterian on 5/2 and improved to 3-3 this season...
Struck out five against no walks and his only run allowed was an unearned tally in the second inning...
Retired 12 of the fi nal 14 batters he faced.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Man I haven't been able to see much of Parr pitch this year but I wonder what has made him regress this badly.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wade Bailey just did a bunt single ...... 1 out with man on first. His ninth bunt single of the year. While some might call that a sac since it's small ball, it's only a sac if you get out....... Speed kills.

Justus and Bailey score on Gonzo double. 6-8 B7 1 out.

I love scoring. Small ball or big ball. (tic) Just chased the reliever.

Update: Going to T8 6-8. Kel 3 AB, 2 singles and a walk. Hall didn't pull him when he walked. Ankle must be getting better.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good job Hall. Pulled Pitts after an opening walk in T8. That's what I'd do. No screwing around with pitchers who can't throw strikes.

Zac Attack to finish up. Makes sense since Gold should be good for most of the game tomorrow.........

Time for a DP.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Before the doom and gloom comes out let me remind everyone it's just one game that has little impact on our post-season hopes.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Before the doom and gloom comes out let me remind everyone it's just one game that has little impact on our post-season hopes.

Dropped 8 spots to 29th RPI. We'll probably back into the ACC tourney. Then probably be 3rd seed somewhere for the NCAAs. We've won far to many out of conference games to not make it. And RPI is by far the most favorable way to rank the team ...... http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Georgia-Tech

And win or lose, we'll pick up RPI @ Miami.

If King goes to the MLB, then next year will be like this one. If Heddinger had stayed, we'd probably be top 20 coaches poll and top 4 ACC which is whers I think we'll be if King stays and we have another starting pitcher develop.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
If King goes to the MLB, then next year will be like this one. If Heddinger had stayed, we'd probably be top 20 coaches poll and top 4 ACC which is whers I think we'll be if King stays and we have another starting pitcher develop.

Definitely going to be something to keep an eye on as June approaches. Losing King would suck that's for sure. The MLB draft is such a black box you never know what's going to happen past the first couple rounds. I'm thinking about doing some actual digging to see if there's some kind of consensus on him. Start preparing for the worst or kicking the feet up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Definitely going to be something to keep an eye on as June approaches. Losing King would suck that's for sure. The MLB draft is such a black box you never know what's going to happen past the first couple rounds. I'm thinking about doing some actual digging to see if there's some kind of consensus on him. Start preparing for the worst or kicking the feet up.

I really don't think we are going to lose King ..... for a Jr to leave when not drafted in the top 5 or so rounds is rare. I think the economics and realities of minor league ball keep most in college. (see the MLB draft post). I have a co worker whose kid is the star pitcher for Liberty and now a Sr. So I was kind of interested in the future probabilities .......

I agree that after the first 6 or so rounds, you have no good idea. It's all about "potential". But from MLB's point of view, they basically take out of the money options at a very low price to see if any will pay off; low signing bonus and low yearly carrying charges for the players. And even if drafted >6th round, the odds of ever playing in MLB are probably <2% for the players.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry just checked.

GT 9-0 B5

King has 81 pitches, 52 strikes and in control. Been some great defensive plays by GT - Bailey. I think 2 DPs...... King will probably be done so he can be saved. Funny thing -King started on Mothers Day 2013 ..... stunk things up. 3.1 innings, 5 walks and 1 SO giving up 3 ER. And he also hit 3 batters. I guess pitchers can get better ……

GT scored every inning so far except the 2nd. Pabst threw out a runner.

We desperately needed this win or were at risk of not making ACC. Now if we win one from Miami we have it. But I'll look at the end of the day for sure.....

GT 10-0 B5 still 2 outs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
10-2 GT. Both Pitt runs unearned as we have 2 errors in the 6th. But then we come back in the 7th and make a play by Bailey- lays out on his belly to stop the ball, flip to second and on to first.......

King gone after 100+ pitches. 0 ER. Craport in for the 7th and 1-2-3 (after the DP). Liking this Fr!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
10-2 GT. Both Pitt runs unearned as we have 2 errors in the 6th. But then we come back in the 7th and make a play by Bailey- lays out on his belly to stop the ball, flip to second and on to first.......

King gone after 100+ pitches. 0 ER. Craport in for the 7th and 1-2-3 (after the DP). Liking this Fr!
Glad to hear we won. Every game is important from here on out. Let's steal a series from the Canes.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry just checked.

GT 9-0 B5

King has 81 pitches, 52 strikes and in control. Been some great defensive plays by GT - Bailey. I think 2 DPs...... King will probably be done so he can be saved. Funny thing -King started on Mothers Day 2013 ..... stunk things up. 3.1 innings, 5 walks and 1 SO giving up 3 ER. And he also hit 3 batters. I guess pitchers can get better ……

GT scored every inning so far except the 2nd. Pabst threw out a runner.

We desperately needed this win or were at risk of not making ACC. Now if we win one from Miami we have it. But I'll look at the end of the day for sure.....

GT 10-0 B5 still 2 outs.

You mean Gold, not King, right? King pitched a gem on Friday.