• 0-3 BC Repeat

• 1-2

• 2-1

• 3-0 Presbyterian Repeat

Results are only viewable after voting.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Need a sweep. I think we go 2-1 with Pitt and 1-2 with Miami. Play in for ACC. Probably make NCAA based on how well we have done out of conference...... but I haven't predicted the wins on a weekend ACC series right yet (which is why I didn't do 3-0).

Having Ryan throw 41 pitches last night wasn't good at all. But ya do what ya gotta do.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think we sweep as well, although the huge question is who pitches besides King and Gold. I think our offense carries us to the sweep and I think (hope, and pray) that Kel gets off the schneid this weekend like he did last Sunday.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
King, Parr, Gold http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/050715aaa.html

After our last game with all the pitchers, I don't know that I can argue any more about Parr over Pitt. But for next year, I'm glad we have Parr getting the ACC experience this year. No matter who we put out there we need a bunch of runs (most likely).

Finally, the runs we score in the 8th is an anomaly. 50 runs in the eighth. If you take the 295 total runs this year, and back out 8th inning (50), ninth inning (25) and extra innings (5), you get 30.7 average runs for innings 1 to 7. So we score a lot more in the 8th on average than other innings. Page 3 of the media guide shows that after the first inning (38 runs), the 2nd & third are at an average of 27, 4 &5 @ 31, 6&7 @ 30.5. So we kind of build up as we get to the opposing team relievers. Getting the other teams pitcher's count up seems to really help. We are so much more patient at the plate this year than last.

From the link, it what I call it's great to be lucky for Zac Attack. Most relievers don't come in and give up a grand slam and still win. His ERA used to be a lot better than 2.86. Regardless, he is a great reliever; just lucky too. " Only four pitchers nationally have more wins than sophomore closer Zac Ryan, who is 9-1 with seven saves and a 2.86 ERA. Ryan has logged a win or a save in 16 of his team-leading 25 pitching appearances. He and Ohio State's Trace Dempsey (9-1, 7 saves, 1.88) are the two relief pitchers in the NCAA with eight or more wins. Ryan leads the ACC leads in wins and is fifth in saves. Ryan has been credited with four of Tech's last six wins."

Pabst deserves to be considered for the Johnny Bench award. The guy has ice water in his veins. "Sophomore C Arden Pabst is among the NCAA leaders in runners caught stealing and caught-stealing percentage. Pabst, who is on the watch list for the Johnny Bench Award, has thrown out 22 would-be base stealers this season, which are tied for ninth-most nationally. His caught-stealing percentage of .468 ranks in the top 10th in the NCAA."

Coupled with our double plays, we have a damn good defense statistically. And that doesn't even count the plays Justus and Bailey make which most players can't.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I know we lose Pitts next year, but who else? King as well?? Who is going to drafted/graduate this year?

Someone voted 0-3? I don't see that happening.. no chance.

On the mound we're also going to lose Stanton who hasn't done much this year. Our offense is where it's going to sting. Murray, Spingola, and Smith are all gone.

As for the draft I think we're going to be ok. I don't think scouts will see much of a future at the next level for King (stuff not overly impressive, his frame is maxed out, shoulder injury in the past, and he hasn't exactly dominated) so I'd be surprised if a team uses a pick on him in the top 20 rounds. If it does happen he might bolt because as a junior it'll be his last year to have any leverage in negotiations (a la Heddinger). Senior draft picks always sign for lower than slot value. On offense I think Gonzo will be drafted but I don't have a clue where. He could leave if he gets a good enough offer.

And that doesn't include any draft eligible sophmores (Sam Clay last year). I think Zac Ryan is one and he's got a decent shot to get picked. Crossing my fingers there. Other than Gold who isn't eligible, I don't know if any of our other sophmores are old enough and I don't feel like checking. Frankly other than Ryan and Gold they haven't shown enough to get drafted at this point in their careers even if they happen to be eligible. So I wouldn't worry too much about the sophmores.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know we lose Pitts next year, but who else? King as well?? Who is going to drafted/graduate this year?

Someone voted 0-3? I don't see that happening.. no chance.
I wouldn't worry about the draft for our current players either. It's the incoming Fr that I'm more worried a out. I'm going to separately post about the draft by Sunday. Suffice it to say, leaving school early if you aren't drafted high is an idiotic decision.

Edit: Sitting outside enjoying the song "Cold beer on a Friday night". Great night for Beesball.

Last edited:

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
AJ Muray HR! 7-1 Tech! Wooohoo! 2nd 2-run HR allowed by the Pitt pitcher. Earlier HR by Kel was a 2 run bomb, not 3.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
8-1 Tech. Error on their 2B. One out in the bottom of the 5th, runners at the corners.

9-1 on a sac fly by Bailey.

NC State is up 16-1 over Wake in the bottom of the 7th. Wow. Not sure who I want to win this series..

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Freshman Craport comes in for King and strikes out the first batter. King finished with 7IP, not earned runs, 7Ks and no walks. Great showing!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great win - sort of shutout ( one run was unearned)

King 7.0IP, 65-93 (70%). 7 SO and 0 walks. Great game!
Craport 2.0 IP, 16-24 (67%). 1 SO and 0 walks. Love to see Hall putting Fr in!!! First he pulls pitchers quick and now does Fr? What is going on?

Really nice to see us beat the snot out of someone and cruise. Pitt only used 3 pitchers and let their starter absorb 9 ER. Saving pitchers for tomorrow?