Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 8 42.1%

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking ahead to the rest of the season, I see two bats who I am pretty confident will be better than they have been so far (Giesler and Green), and I truly believe that Matt Ellis will build on this weekend and be a strong bat the rest of the season. If we can keep Burress from hitting the freshman wall while also keeping Kerce performing well, that is 5 above average bats. I don't expect improvement from Jones or Yunger, but both have been acceptable so far. So, I have reason to be optimistic that the offensive output will improve. I'm not as confident that the pitching will improve, but if we can keep Finateri performing respectably and somehow get Tate McKee to show he belongs, that would keep us competitive in 2 of 3 games. Then need to find that 3rd starter. In the pen, I like where Ben King is at, and obviously Dawson Brown had a great week, but I'm not confident it was anything more than just a good week. Kovala, Barfield, and Thomas seem to be decent 6th - 7th inning guys. Bottomline, I still see this team as a 12 +/- 1 win team in conference play, which really is not acceptable but is better than a team not good enough to make the ACC tourney.

ETA: LOL, I had Jaros and Kerce confused. When typing this post I was thinking that Kerce had a couple hits today, but that was actually Jaros. So, there is the concern that teams have found the hole in Kerce's swing, as he is down to only a .260 or so average in conference play. I still think that we will have better and more consistent performance from the lineup going forward than we have so far, but not as confident after realizing my mistake here.
If Jarros and/or Giesler can continue to improve that gives us three viable options at 3b along with Kerce. Of course we still have other options at 2b like Denby, Neises and Senese that haven't gotten a shot yet. Along with Bechetti and Kerce at 2b all we need to find is one guy that can get hot. But I also view 2b as a glue position where the value to the potion is greater with the glove than the bat. Someone that can turn the double play and make the tough throw on the ball hit up the middle is more valuable to me than a guy who can hit .300. Of course if you can get someone that does both that would be great. But we have all seen how devastating it can be having a guy there at times in the past that was there for his bat instead of his glove. So at present we can go with either Bechetti r Kerce and feel confident in their fielding. We just need one of them to get hot with the bat or give one of those other guys a chance to step in like they did with Kerce at third.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Jarros and/or Giesler can continue to improve that gives us three viable options at 3b along with Kerce. Of course we still have other options at 2b like Denby, Neises and Senese that haven't gotten a shot yet. Along with Bechetti and Kerce at 2b all we need to find is one guy that can get hot. But I also view 2b as a glue position where the value to the potion is greater with the glove than the bat. Someone that can turn the double play and make the tough throw on the ball hit up the middle is more valuable to me than a guy who can hit .300. Of course if you can get someone that does both that would be great. But we have all seen how devastating it can be having a guy there at times in the past that was there for his bat instead of his glove. So at present we can go with either Bechetti r Kerce and feel confident in their fielding. We just need one of them to get hot with the bat or give one of those other guys a chance to step in like they did with Kerce at third.
we won’t see Senese this year. pretty sure Neises plays first and outfield. Denby will be used to pinch run. Tough way to lose a year of eligibility