Pitt, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Pitt? (Assume 3 games played)

Votes: 12 38.7%

Votes: 13 41.9%

Votes: 5 16.1%

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
Big picture our offense is top tier, it’s been a good minute since we have been shut out. I do think we should pinch hit players that are swinging it well in practice to spark the lineup. Similar to MLB, someone on the bench is ready to step up. That’s the only flaw I can speak to offensively. And I think it would be a defensive upgrade for many positions to end a game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh well, not our night. There are innings we got shut out Friday night, just not 9 in a row. The Pitt pitcher was really good; good pitching beats good hitting. That's why we fail to advance in post season historically.

Tied for 12th with L'Ville this morning, who has the tiebreaker to slink into the ACC Tourney. Our last game this season may be in two weeks on Sunday.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh well, not our night. There are innings we got shut out Friday night, just not 9 in a row. The Pitt pitcher was really good; good pitching beats good hitting. That's why we fail to advance in post season historically.

Tied for 12th with L'Ville this morning, who has the tiebreaker to slink into the ACC Tourney. Our last game this season may be in two weeks on Sunday.
Actually, our last regular season game in on a Saturday, but I get your point.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually, our last regular season game in on a Saturday, but I get your point.

Then maybe we can make coaching changes a day earlier (I'm trying to be optimistic).

Our chances at an ACC tourney appearance are slim if we win today and negligible if we lose. Getting wins @Duke and versus UVa is going to be much more difficult than against Pitt and I doubt we will get more than 1 in the series. And if we only get one per series, our .391 ACC average will drop.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, this weekend is it for setting up to make the ACC Tourney. We and FSU are the 13th and 14th teams. Pitt is one game ahead of us; NC State who we don't play is 1/2 game up.
View attachment 14345

We should win 2 as we are at home and Pitt has a lower RPI @74. But we really need a sweep since we have #10 @Duke and #12 UVa after them. Pitt has #11 Miami and @NC State. So Pitt has the easier next 2 series. Pitt isn't that good on the road (6-9 and 5-5 neutral).

View attachment 14347

Weather looks fairly nice with only chance of thunderstorms, so we should get all 3 in. Games 6PM, 6PM, 1PM.

No Game Notes yet at https://ramblinwreck.com/2023-baseball-game-notes/ but probably Schmolke, Busse and Finley.
Untitled.png

So we climb back into the ACC tourney and put a little distance over Louisville, which is good considering they finish with FSU at home. I never would have expected FSU to be in the cellar TBH. Pitt has Miami at home and finishes at NC State. We've got to find at least 3 wins over these last two series I think.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I only caught the first couple innings today. Can someone who watched explain what happened with the ejections?
in addition to GT_B, I will give it a shot.

Reid hit his third HR of the game, and the Pitt HC had an issue with his bat flip. He barked at Reid crossing home, so CDH charged out of the dugout to protect his player (not that Reid needs any protection). That was followed by two more HR’s, the last being Geisler with a more pronounced bat flip. The Pitt catcher decided to “protest” that bat flip by blocking Geisler from crossing home after the HR, with a chest bump to boot.

Order was restored, but both HC’s were tossed, along with the Pitt catcher (obviously), and Geisler for the bat flip.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
in addition to GT_B, I will give it a shot.

Reid hit his third HR of the game, and the Pitt HC had an issue with his bat flip. He barked at Reid crossing home, so CDH charged out of the dugout to protect his player (not that Reid needs any protection). That was followed by two more HR’s, the last being Geisler with a more pronounced bat flip. The Pitt catcher decided to “protest” that bat flip by blocking Geisler from crossing home after the HR, with a chest bump to boot.

Order was restored, but both HC’s were tossed, along with the Pitt catcher (obviously), and Geisler for the bat flip.

The Reid bat flip wasn't much, Reid ran out of the batters box carrying the bat and threw it away while looking at the ball leave, not looking into the Pitt dugout.

The Geisler bat flip was a total F you and went half way to the GT dugout.

We won the series. Stopped on Saturday by a great pitching performance. Can see why Pitt has a higher ERA than we do.

No idea whether we make the ACC tourney, need to win 5 of 6 in the next two series to make the NCAAs. Very very very unlikely.

I can't believe L'Ville and NC State are having the problems they are having.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Reid bat flip wasn't much, Reid ran out of the batters box carrying the bat and threw it away while looking at the ball leave, not looking into the Pitt dugout.

The Geisler bat flip was a total F you and went half way to the GT dugout.

We won the series. Stopped on Saturday by a great pitching performance. Can see why Pitt has a higher ERA than we do.

No idea whether we make the ACC tourney, need to win 5 of 6 in the next two series to make the NCAAs. Very very very unlikely.

I can't believe L'Ville and NC State are having the problems they are having.
Maybe 4 (and if we get in to the ACC tourney) a couple more there to put us above .500

Still a long shot at this point. Sweeping Pitt would've done a lot.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe 4 (and if we get in to the ACC tourney) a couple more there to put us above .500

Still a long shot at this point. Sweeping Pitt would've done a lot.
Duke has a good body of work, but it's pretty recent they got over .500. Sweeping Lville and beating UVA have propped them up. Neither of those teams are as great as we thought.

UVA, on the other hand, started strong by isn't looking like world beaters. Again, favored but beatable.

I'm not saying we're going to go 6-0 the next two weekends. But these teams may not be surefire loses.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I second Pitt coach is a punk. Especially after Hess’s bat flip yesterday. Thankfully Comp didn’t rush the mound after that hbp
That was pretty much as big a display of douchebaggery from a baseball HC as you’re likely to see in college baseball. ACC needs to suspend him a game or two.

They also need to reprimand those umps. Not throwing out their catcher immediately was one of the oddest things I’ve ever seen from an umpiring crew in a situation like that.