Pitt, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Pitt? (Assume 3 games played)

Votes: 12 38.7%

Votes: 13 41.9%

Votes: 5 16.1%

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, this weekend is it for setting up to make the ACC Tourney. We and FSU are the 13th and 14th teams. Pitt is one game ahead of us; NC State who we don't play is 1/2 game up.
1683156486024.png

We should win 2 as we are at home and Pitt has a lower RPI @74. But we really need a sweep since we have #10 @Duke and #12 UVa after them. Pitt has #11 Miami and @NC State. So Pitt has the easier next 2 series. Pitt isn't that good on the road (6-9 and 5-5 neutral).

1683156635826.png

Weather looks fairly nice with only chance of thunderstorms, so we should get all 3 in. Games 6PM, 6PM, 1PM.

No Game Notes yet at https://ramblinwreck.com/2023-baseball-game-notes/ but probably Schmolke, Busse and Finley.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Pitt is ahead of us in the standings because they had 2/3 cancelled against UNC. I think we're the better team (can't say that a lot this year) and we're at home. This should be 2 wins, but 3 would go a long way towards extending our postseason hope, however dire it may currently be.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We are far and away the “leader” in HRs allowed in the ACC so if the wind is blowing out (as it almost always is at RCP) look out. The good news is we have hit 20 more HRs than Pitt, so maybe our weakness will be offset by theirs. The winner might have it score 10+ in every game

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking at Pitt the last four series, they are playing really well. Most recent to oldest: Swept #98 RPI Cal, Lost 2-1 to #2 Wake, won 2-1 @#12 UVa, and lost 2-1 ND.

So they are better than previous year's. Any prediction for 0 to 3 wins is defendable. I'm sticking with 2, just because. I'm hoping for better but people in hell want ice water.

They got mercy ruled by @#14WV tonight last night, so hopefully they go into a power swoon.

1683239682146.png

Attachments

• 1683239571248.png
    1683239571248.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 2

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting that a win over Pitt @home is worth less than the GWU wins at home. Only +11 for a win and -57 for a loss. Largely due to Pitt having an overall (20-22) losing record.

Bottom line, if we win 2, we will lose RPI points. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/team-impact?team=Georgia-Tech

Wiley and Kyle Wren were talking about the most likely way for GT getting to the NCAAs. It was winning the ACC tourney. Being 5 games down in the ACC we'd have to go 7-2 in our next three series; so I agree the outside chance of winning the ACC is more likely than the very outside chance of going 7-2. In any event, just win today. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we got to the NCAAs, have to make the ACC tourney first.

1683285002906.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are tied for 10th place with L'Ville (!!) and NC State after yesterday. I never ever would have expected to see L'Ville & NC State down here. Given the # of games played, we are .9% above Pitt so that is sort of a tiebreaker. And L'Ville has the tie breaker on us.

Last night went unbelievably well, everything broke our way - like getting hbp on an 0-2 count. Plus, Pitt is awful on D. Cut off maybe 5 throws which would have been close. And dropped an easy infield fly that led to 3 unearned runs. Plus they left more on than we did while they scored 1 and we scored 11. Jadyn made an unbelievable play to get the lead runner from the SS position (shift on) and Compton at third was awesome.

After we got our first out, we gave up no runs, 2 hits, 4 walks, 0 hbp in 27 outs. Unbelievable.

We are consistently inconsistent so who know tonight. Just win tonight.

1683392399081.png

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We were shutout 4/10, 4/17 and 4/23/21 by ND, VT and FSU. Amazing. I figured it would have by 6-7 years ago or more.