Pitt - 1/6

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
When did I say we're going to go 5-13? And when did I say I'd be okay with that?

You didn't. I did. Without winning games like the last two 5 wins in conference is about our ceiling. If you don't have an issue now after the losses to ETSU and UGA, and letting potential resume building win opportunities get away then you shouldn't have a problem with us going 5-13 in conference. Because that's what everything is pointing to.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Watching our PG play is depressing, Health and Jorgenson just can't make plays. I can't buy in to the Tadric to PG move, I don't trust him enough to be our primary ball-handler. You know it's bad when I'm wondering if Heyward's defensive ability makes up for lack of offensive game. If we're getting nothing offensively from the PGs anyway, it's almost tempting to at least have a good defender out there.

I just don't know how we can win ACC games without a PG who can create. We HAVE to get a 5th year transfer PG next year, or it's going to be worse than we can even imagine. If we had a guy like Trae Golden this year, I really believe we'd be top 25.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
You didn't. I did. Without winning games like the last two 5 wins in conference is about our ceiling. If you don't have an issue now after the losses to ETSU and UGA, and letting potential resume building win opportunities get away then you shouldn't have a problem with us going 5-13 in conference. Because that's what everything is pointing to.

If you had asked me to rank the toughness of games entering ACC play I would have had those two games as our 1st and 5th hardest so I don't think losing them means our ceiling is 5 wins

For reference. I'm actually curious what people think of this list

1. @ UNC
2. vs UVA
3. vs Dook
4. @ Ville
5. @ Pitt
6. vs Miami
7. vs Ville
8. @ FSU
9. @ Cuse
10. vs Pitt
11. @ ND
12. @ NCSU
13. @ Clemson
14. vs Wake
15. vs ND
16. vs Clemson
17. vs VT
18. @ BC

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you had asked me to rank the toughness of games entering ACC play I would have had those two games as our 1st and 5th hardest so I don't think losing them means our ceiling is 5 wins

1. @ UNC
2. vs UVA
3. vs Dook
4. @ Ville
5. @ Pitt
6. vs Miami
7. vs Ville
8. @ FSU
9. @ Cuse
10. vs Pitt
11. @ ND
12. @ NCSU
13. @ Clemson
14. vs Wake
15. vs ND
16. vs Clemson
17. vs VT
18. @ BC

I think that our trip to the Carrier Dome will be a little tougher than going to Tallahassee.

You could arguably switch # 4 and # 5 as well.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And where do you think the line is between games we "should" win and games we "shouldn't" win?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That's true but he'll probably find his way to another Sweet 16 berth this season. Coffee's for closers.

Having/getting talent yet not quite knowing what to do with it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Not having/not getting talent and not quite knowing what to do with what you have.

There is noone better than Baldwin.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sad to hear that about Jacobs' loss. Makes sense given his regression and body language on the court.

I love the misplaced respect Syracuse continues to receive this year. It's about the only thing I love about my two favorite teams right now. I'll continue saying what I've said all season - GT is the better team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

1. @ UNC
2. vs UVA
3. vs Dook
4. @ Ville
5. @ Pitt
6. vs Miami
7. vs Ville
8. @ FSU
9. @ Cuse
10. vs Pitt
11. @ ND
12. @ NCSU
13. @ Clemson
14. vs Wake
15. vs ND
16. vs Clemson
17. vs VT
18. @ BC
Two games in this is hard to fault. I think @Pitt may be low, but you are close to my view of the schedule. I think we still have a decent chance to win 9-10 games if we continue the same quality play from these first two games. NCSU played a close game against Louisville @ home, but is now staring at 0-2, just as we are. The puzzle for me right now is VT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Two games in this is hard to fault. I think @Pitt may be low, but you are close to my view of the schedule. I think we still have a decent chance to win 9-10 games if we continue the same quality play from these first two games. NCSU played a close game against Louisville @ home, but is now staring at 0-2, just as we are. The puzzle for me right now is VT.

Yup. They are on the cusp IMHO. They, like us, are trying to get over that hump. Seen them a couple of times now and they are good. Seth Allen is a really nice, turn it up to 10 and break the knob off PG.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck

1. @ UNC
2. vs UVA
3. vs Dook
4. @ Ville
5. @ Pitt
6. vs Miami
7. vs Ville
8. @ FSU
9. @ Cuse
10. vs Pitt
11. @ ND
12. @ NCSU
13. @ Clemson
14. vs Wake
15. vs ND
16. vs Clemson
17. vs VT
18. @ BC
I like this list. Would probably swap 4 and 5 and would probably move @ Cuse down below @ND - that could change once Boeheim comes back, but as of right now going into the Carrier Dome doesn't seem nearly as scary as in years past. I'm glad you posted this though - someone earlier posted we would without a doubt be 0-4 by mid-next week and I disagree. I think UVA will be too much on Saturday, especially coming off of a loss, but @ND is a very winnable game. They're not playing great basketball; we played them close both times last year with Connaughton and Grant, plus they're home floor isn't exactly Duke or UNC.

Long story short, the season is far from over. Those of you hitting the panic button already are entrenched in the mindset of GTMBB of years past. This is a better team that will win games this year.

Last note (sorry for rambling), but a positive for those interested in Gregory's in-game coaching acumen. We executed very well coming out of our timeouts on Wednesday - it seems like Gregory drew something up or made adjustments that worked and allowed for a few stops or made buckets. Whether or not this is coincidence is TBD, but I'm going to assume it's not and hope that trend continues moving forward.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I like this list. Would probably swap 4 and 5 and would probably move @ Cuse down below @ND - that could change once Boeheim comes back, but as of right now going into the Carrier Dome doesn't seem nearly as scary as in years past. I'm glad you posted this though - someone earlier posted we would without a doubt be 0-4 by mid-next week and I disagree. I think UVA will be too much on Saturday, especially coming off of a loss, but @ND is a very winnable game. They're not playing great basketball; we played them close both times last year with Connaughton and Grant, plus they're home floor isn't exactly Duke or UNC.

Long story short, the season is far from over. Those of you hitting the panic button already are entrenched in the mindset of GTMBB of years past. This is a better team that will win games this year.

Last note (sorry for rambling), but a positive for those interested in Gregory's in-game coaching acumen. We executed very well coming out of our timeouts on Wednesday - it seems like Gregory drew something up or made adjustments that worked and allowed for a few stops or made buckets. Whether or not this is coincidence is TBD, but I'm going to assume it's not and hope that trend continues moving forward.

You're right. This is a better team. But the problems from seasons past remains the same. Last year was "BGs best team" too

I just don't see us going into South Bend and stopping Demetrius Jackson who is one of the best PGs in the country. We should be able to neutralize Auguste and our chances improve a great deal of we get him in foul trouble (#1 priority if I were making a game plan). Not sure but MGH will presumably be on Colson (?) maybe Vasturia.

I would revert back to our early season philosophy and run run run. ND is thin personnel wise. I'd push and press the whole game. We get into a half court battle with these guy they will eat us up.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that is exactly what you see. We will continue to push pace, and if we can get out on their 3pt shooters and coral the long rebounds, that should allow us to run more.

Hopefully we can throw enough people at him to slow Jackson down a bit. Do we see Tadric match-up with him some in this one?

Also, I think that we will have a little something extra for ND, especially in their building. We had them dead-to-rights twice last year and let them get away. Hopefully guys will remember that..

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

This is a better team? Based on what? This team lost to ETSU. Lost by 14 to UGA. And it's not like we haven't seen past teams play good teams close before.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a better team? Based on what? This team lost to ETSU. Lost by 14 to UGA. And it's not like we haven't seen past teams play good teams close before.
A. You need to stop being so cynical - it's not good for your health.

B. If you don't believe this team is better than last year's you have clearly watched zero games and subscribe to the box score method when it comes to evaluation. There's quite obviously nothing any of us can say to you to change your mind, so I will not try.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year we lost to VA by a score of 57-28. Tomorrow's game will be a lot more competitive. Eventually we have to win one of these games. Hopefully it starts tomorrow.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If being negative (I know, you think you're being realistic) helps you enjoy watching Tech basketball, go for it. Right now I am still feeling pretty good about the season. I am optimistic we will win 9-10 ACC games and have a shot at the NCAA or NIT. Until something significant changes, that is our ceiling. I have made peace with that.

So, look at our schedule:

UNC & Pitt on the road, UVA at home, then ND on the road is a tough stretch for anyone. How many teams not in the Top 25 would handle that stretch with more than one win? My guess is, none. Next we have VT and Louisville at home, then NC State and Cuse on the road. Before they beat UVA I thought VT was a sure win, but now, it's anyone's guess about how good the Hokies are this year. I look at the rest of our schedule (after these eight games) and things look a lot better. If our record is 2-6, things are petty scary, but 3-5 doesn't look too bad.

My scenario for January is another squeaker in a loss to UVA, then a win at ND, followed by a home win against VT and (maybe) a loss to Louisville at home. I think we will be 2-4 at that point, then win one of the two road games. NCSU will play us after having played UNC and Pitt on the road, then Duke at home. They will have a huge emotional let down after the Duke game and have to play us late in a mid-week game. I like our chances there. That is our path to 3-5.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
A. You need to stop being so cynical - it's not good for your health.

B. If you don't believe this team is better than last year's you have clearly watched zero games and subscribe to the box score method when it comes to evaluation. There's quite obviously nothing any of us can say to you to change your mind, so I will not try.

A. Thanks for the concern, but I'm probably one of the healthier people on this board. Save your concern for the drunks, smokers, and geriatrics.

B. Thanks for the cliche "if you don't agree with me then you didn't watch" argument. It's just as compelling an argument as ever.