Pitt - 1/6

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to eventually WIN a game on the road against a top-25 team...

I know we did it a few times in the last few years...at #3 Miami is the one that comes to mind...but we've got to get some of these quality type wins every year, not once every 5 years.

Well we've actually gotten them the past three years but just because we're shooting for one or two a year doesn't make them all must wins

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well we've actually gotten them the past three years but just because we're shooting for one or two a year doesn't make them all must wins

I think that in order to become a good team we have to start winning 4-5 road conference games a year. I agree that your games at top-25 teams are going to be tougher...so if that's the way we're going to look at it then we can't lose at Clemson, at Wake Forecast, at Va. Tech, etc.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the schedule, we really needed to win that game. Now we come home to play #4 UVA and then back on the road at Notre Dame. If I had to guess, we'll be 0-4 by the middle of next week, needing to win 8 or 9 of the final 14 to get to the post season.

The one positive is that the offense has played very well the past two games. Maybe if this keeps up then getting those 8 or 9 might not be too unrealistic

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'll throw a fly in the ointment here with Adam Smith. He's an amazing, even NBA level 3 point shooter, but he was forced to take most of those shots at the end. Why are we not forcing him to shoot early? He's fishing for a good look but it seems he does awesome when someone is in his face. Let him shoot every 3-5 trips down the court and crash the boards when he does for the 40% of the time he misses. Am I wrong in thinking he should be taking 10-15 3s per game regardless of it being crunch time? I know other teams know he's the shooter, but his shot and is a game changer for us which we should be using all game

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I think that in order to become a good team we have to start winning 4-5 road conference games a year. I agree that your games at top-25 teams are going to be tougher...so if that's the way we're going to look at it then we can't lose at Clemson, at Wake Forecast, at Va. Tech, etc.

FWIW, NCSU and Louisville both lost five ranked ACC road games last season and still made the tournament as an eight and four seed respectively.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I'll throw a fly in the ointment here with Adam Smith. He's an amazing, even NBA level 3 point shooter, but he was forced to take most of those shots at the end. Why are we not forcing him to shoot early? He's fishing for a good look but it seems he does awesome when someone is in his face. Let him shoot every 3-5 trips down the court and crash the boards when he does for the 40% of the time he misses. Am I wrong in thinking he should be taking 10-15 3s per game regardless of it being crunch time? I know other teams know he's the shooter, but his shot and is a game changer for us which we should be using all game

On one hand I agree. Pitt was all over him early in the game and he wasn't shooting because he wasn't getting good looks. Once we were down enough and he decided he didn't need to get good looks to shoot, he was hitting everything. If he shot every game like last night then he needs to be shooting every time down the court. However, I then look at the VCU, Nova, and ETSU games where he struggled mightily and think if he's not shooting well, I don't want him chucking up ridiculous shots instead of trying to get someone else an open look.

More times than not, he'll probably be shooting very well and I want him to shoot early, but if he's not on that night, those could be critical wasted possessions.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
re: Jacobs

I don't know if everyone is aware, but he had a death in the family in December. Missed some practices in dealing with that, which led to not starting for two games. I have no idea who the family member was, or his relationship with them, but I'm guessing that some of the difference in production from early in the year may be related to the emotional impact of this event.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I don't know if everyone is aware, but he had a death in the family in December. Missed some practices in dealing with that, which led to not starting for two games. I have no idea who the family member was, or his relationship with them, but I'm guessing that some of the difference in production from early in the year may be related to the emotional impact of this event.

Thanks for posting that. I was critical of him but I certainly recognize how something like that can be devastating. The change in his demeanor has been obvious. Hope they get him the help he needs.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We can get Clemson. Wake is one of the worst defensive teams I've watched but they are talented offensively. Bryant Crawford and CMM against our perimeter D is a scary proposition.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On one hand I agree. Pitt was all over him early in the game and he wasn't shooting because he wasn't getting good looks. Once we were down enough and he decided he didn't need to get good looks to shoot, he was hitting everything. If he shot every game like last night then he needs to be shooting every time down the court. However, I then look at the VCU, Nova, and ETSU games where he struggled mightily and think if he's not shooting well, I don't want him chucking up ridiculous shots instead of trying to get someone else an open look.

More times than not, he'll probably be shooting very well and I want him to shoot early, but if he's not on that night, those could be critical wasted possessions.
I disagree with the idea that a hot shooter, no matter who it is, should become our offense. The plan last night was clear from the beginning, and it seemed to me a good plan. The problem was that Mitchell and Jacobs could not score inside as easily as thought. The Pitt defenders are good athletes and their lack of size, while not an asset, seemed to also not be a big liability. Artis is good. So is Maia.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for the post. Prayers to him and his family

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
By eventually I mean not on the road against a top 25 ACC team. There are going to be plenty of better opportunities for wins this season and when we start to lose those games, THAT is when I'll have an issue, but instead of looking at it as "another close loss", I'm choosing to look at it for what it is. A road loss to a ranked ACC team. I don't care how good you are, you're not going to win many of those. If we could get one or two all season we'd put ourselves in a great position

So eventually we'll go 5-13 and have no chance at the NCAAs? And you don't have an issue with that?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

No doubt about it.. He is extremely locked in now. It is to the point that you are surprised when he misses.

He has helped carry us, but if we expect him to continue shooting at his current clip (14/23 or 61% over the last two games), we will be in trouble.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No doubt about it.. He is extremely locked in now. It is to the point that you are surprised when he misses.

He has helped carry us, but if we expect him to continue shooting at his current clip (14/23 or 61% over the last two games), we will be in trouble.

Shhhh, my ignorance sure is blissful.

Speaking of things that would make GT fans uncomfortable, anybody see any of Jaylen Brown last night for Cal? 20/9 on 8/10 shooting. Man that kid's good.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I watched most of the game. Jaylen, Ivan Rabb and Wallace are impressive. Cuonzo Martin is not

That's true but he'll probably find his way to another Sweet 16 berth this season. Coffee's for closers.

Having/getting talent yet not quite knowing what to do with it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Not having/not getting talent and not quite knowing what to do with what you have.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Itis fun to watch someone on OUR team go off like Smith--if this was last yr,this would have been a 20 pt loss.Mitchell is a BEAST. If he had any type of shot with range he could go Pro.
We have small, slow, and weak scoring PGuards in a game that is guard dominated.They try hard, but just the truth.
My guess is we will have another season of BG and I mean bigtime suffer before a new start.