Pitching Coach Hired

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Before last football season, our football team had to hire a coordinator. EVERY coach knew that Collins was on the hot seat and there was a high probability he would be fired at the end of the season. That made the job VERY difficult to find a good OC. We had to hire an OC at Tulsa, one that was not very popular and fans at Tulsa were happy to see him go.

This may be another situation where some a lot of people in the baseball business understand coaching under Hall may not be a good recipe for career stability. Our choices for a pitching coach may have been severely limited.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Before last football season, our football team had to hire a coordinator. EVERY coach knew that Collins was on the hot seat and there was a high probability he would be fired at the end of the season. That made the job VERY difficult to find a good OC. We had to hire an OC at Tulsa, one that was not very popular and fans at Tulsa were happy to see him go.

This may be another situation where some a lot of people in the baseball business understand coaching under Hall may not be a good recipe for career stability. Our choices for a pitching coach may have been severely limited.
Geoff Collins was 24-35 overall as a head coach and 9-25 at Georgia Tech when we needed to hire a new offensive coordinator. He was on the hot seat because we were losing to FCS and G5 teams, and getting blown out of the stadium every time we played somebody half-decent.

Danny Hall is going to retire as one of the top 20 winningest head coaches in college baseball history, and one of the top 2 coaches in Georgia Tech history, arguably #1. People want CDH to step down because he hasn’t had success recently in the post-season. Post-season baseball has some of the most random outcomes of any athletic tournament format.

Those 2 scenarios are drastically different. We just hired the assistant pitching coordinator of the Atlanta Braves. An organization that has been scouting and developing some of the best young arm talent in the world for the past several years. Matt Taylor has also been in and around the Atlanta area for a good portion of his coaching career. He’s seen all of the local talent and how they get recruited

I’m really not sure what else some of y’all could’ve wanted or expected.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Geoff Collins was 24-35 overall as a head coach and 9-25 at Georgia Tech when we needed to hire a new offensive coordinator. He was on the hot seat because we were losing to FCS and G5 teams, and getting blown out of the stadium every time we played somebody half-decent.

Danny Hall is going to retire as one of the top 20 winningest head coaches in college baseball history, and one of the top 2 coaches in Georgia Tech history, arguably #1. People want CDH to step down because he hasn’t had success recently in the post-season. Post-season baseball has some of the most random outcomes of any athletic tournament format.

Those 2 scenarios are drastically different. We just hired the assistant pitching coordinator of the Atlanta Braves. An organization that has been scouting and developing some of the best young arm talent in the world for the past several years. Matt Taylor has also been in and around the Atlanta area for a good portion of his coaching career. He’s seen all of the local talent and how they get recruited

I believe he's a good hire but we'll have to see the results. In the announcement it stated that he coached GSU to their second-best season pitching-wise and (since he was recruiting coordinator) brought in their best class ever. He comes out of a good MLB organization but to me the most important part is he's been a PC in college previously.

I don't know how you could argue that CDH is not the #1 coach in our history. We've not been great in his recent tenure but overall he is definitely the best we've had. Let's hope with these two young guys (Taylor & Ramsey) we can rekindle some of the earlier CDH results.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Hall is clearly a Hall of Fame coach, but his issues over that past decade plus are not solely some random bad luck in the postseason.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Chip Long hire made 0 sense because his whole foundational understanding of offense relied on utilizing TEs to take advantage of whatever personnel the defense put on the field. It wasn't working at Tulane and sure as hell didn't work here. No one besides us was calling his agent to setup interviews.

This pitching coach hire feels similar (reaching for a hire without an impressive resume), but I don't have any feel for whether this guy is going to mesh better with the talent we have.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I've given up forecasting. DBo should have been great. Just waiting to see the results and that will take two seasons.

Early indication of pitching expectations will be the portal (out and in) of pitchers, how many 2024 and later pitchers decommit as well as low ball draft offers taken (like Grissom did).

It's the player actions that count the most to validate or refute the quality of this hire IMHO.
Far too cogent and thoughtful an answer for a message board😀

And of course you’re right. I’m just looking for something optimistic

Techster

Helluva Engineer

A few things here:

1. You've missed the ENTIRE point of my post. This isn't a Collins vs Hall comparison, but more a comparison of where the coaches were when making a hire. I'm not defending nor advocating for this hire. The truth is, I don't follow college baseball enough to know whether this was a good or bad hire. I'm simply putting out a possibility of why this coach was hired as some of our fans seem disappointed in it and expected a more impressive resume. If anything, we're both in agreement about giving Hall the benefit of the doubt with this hire.

2. Regardless of anyone's gold tinted glasses about Hall, to say that an established assistant coach shouldn't worry about their future if they were to make to move to GT baseball is just ignoring the reality of what's going on with GT baseball these days. First, J Batt had to release the dreaded statement of public support for Hall after releasing Borrell. Any coach who had to make a personnel change that was accompanied by public support by the AD means there are some outstanding questions about the program. GTSwarm isn't the only place where retaining Hall has been questioned. Baseball isn't in the forefront of donors concerns like GT football and basketball, but there have been grumblings about moving on from Hall. As long as Big Tex wants Hall at GT, Hall will be at GT. The other side of this is Hall is creeping towards the end of his distinguished career. Even if GT would have made it to the NCAA baseball tournament this year, there would still be questions of how much longer Hall would remain at GT. That also means a good pitching coach (or any assistant coach for that matter) would be hesitant to come here because if Hall were to retire next year, pretty much all coaches on the staff would be at the mercy of the new coach. Assistant coaches, similar to any employee for any job, likes stability.

3. Your use of the Braves organization is a false equivalence. He was there for a season working with pitchers on a minor league team...he was an assistant pitching coordinator at that. To say that the Braves successes with pitchers translates to Matt Taylor being successful at GT is being quite hopeful. Compare that to Danny Borrell who coordinated the pitching program for the ENTIRE farm system of the Yankees. I'm not sure it gets much more impressive than that for a college pitching coach...but we all know how that turned out. If anything, I'd say Taylor's time before GA State working with the Pirates as a scout and his time with the Orioles working on player development would be more in tune with what he'll do at GT scouting prospects for GT and working with them on a day to day basis.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
3. Your use of the Braves organization is a false equivalence. He was there for a season working with pitchers on a minor league team...he was an assistant pitching coordinator at that. To say that the Braves successes with pitchers translates to Matt Taylor being successful at GT is being quite hopeful. Compare that to Danny Borrell who coordinated the pitching program for the ENTIRE farm system of the Yankees. I'm not sure it gets much more impressive than that for a college pitching coach...but we all know how that turned out. If anything, I'd say Taylor's time before GA State working with the Pirates as a scout and his time with the Orioles working on player development would be more in tune with what he'll do at GT scouting prospects for GT and working with them on a day to day basis.

This isn't true.

He was co-cordinator and only oversaw the lower minors while he was with the Yankees.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This isn't true.

He was co-cordinator and only oversaw the lower minors while he was with the Yankees.

You may have the finer details correct...I just quoted what I saw from GT's bio of Borrell

Borrell arrived on The Flats after spending 18 years in the Yankees organization, first for seven years as a left-handed pitcher, then as a pitching coach and eventual pitching coordinator for its farm system.

The youngest pitching coordinator in the MLB when hired by the Yankees in 2015, Borrell led approximately 180 pitchers per year and 11 pitching coaches over nine minor league affiliates. During the last three seasons, Borrell helped lead the Yankees to be the best pitching organization in baseball as their staffs led in a multitude of statistics, including strikeout percentage, strikeouts/9 innings, strikeouts/walk, and fastball velocity.

Point being, Borrell had far more extensive experience overseeing a pitching program than our new pitching coach. In the end, all that we care about is what a coach does at GT.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You may have the finer details correct...I just quoted what I saw from GT's bio of Borrell

Borrell arrived on The Flats after spending 18 years in the Yankees organization, first for seven years as a left-handed pitcher, then as a pitching coach and eventual pitching coordinator for its farm system.

The youngest pitching coordinator in the MLB when hired by the Yankees in 2015, Borrell led approximately 180 pitchers per year and 11 pitching coaches over nine minor league affiliates. During the last three seasons, Borrell helped lead the Yankees to be the best pitching organization in baseball as their staffs led in a multitude of statistics, including strikeout percentage, strikeouts/9 innings, strikeouts/walk, and fastball velocity.

Point being, Borrell had far more extensive experience overseeing a pitching program than our new pitching coach. In the end, all that we care about is what a coach does at GT.
As a Yankees fan, I can tell that while Borrell had plenty of years of experience in coaching, he was never a true pitching coach in the Yankees organization. He was a developmental coordinator who helped pitchers develop new pitches and correct issues with their pitching fundamentals. He never game planned against opposing teams or batters. He also never called pitches like he did at Tech.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yet he was a pitcher for most of his life, calling pitches, shaking them off and delivering them. At the professional level. He was a great hire, in theory. It just didn't work.
LOL! Considering he never made the major leagues, using your logic every pitcher who has played their way up to AAA would be a great pitching coach.

Regardless, the ability to shake off pitches and deliver them (not well enough to break into the majors, though) does not make one a great pitching coach.

Also, his catchers and coaches called his pitches.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL! Considering he never made the major leagues, using your logic every pitcher who has played their way up to AAA would be a great pitching coach.

Regardless, the ability to shake off pitches and deliver them (not well enough to break into the majors, though) does not make one a great pitching coach.

Also, his catchers and coaches called his pitches.
Proven true

Squints

Helluva Engineer
As a Yankees fan, I can tell that while Borrell had plenty of years of experience in coaching, he was never a true pitching coach in the Yankees organization. He was a developmental coordinator who helped pitchers develop new pitches and correct issues with their pitching fundamentals. He never game planned against opposing teams or batters. He also never called pitches like he did at Tech.

As a fellow Yankees fan this is also isn't true. He spent at least one year as the pitching coach of Staten Island.

It might have been two I can't remember.

Before he was coordinator or the coach at Staten Island he was a 'rehab pitching coach' but tbh I don't know what that means exactly.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
As a fellow Yankees fan this is also isn't true. He spent at least one year as the pitching coach of Staten Island.

It might have been two I can't remember.

Before he was coordinator or the coach at Staten Island he was a 'rehab pitching coach' but tbh I don't know what that means exactly.
I stand corrected. Borrell was a pitching coach at Staten Island for one year in 2011. They were a class A short season team and were league champs that year.