Pitching Coach Hired

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
https://ua_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-basebl/stats/2009-2010/bama64.html

Pitched against us in one of the many postseason games that should be stricken from our memories.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Ga State was 161st in team ERA, which was still 70 spots ahead of us. So, I cannot imagine he can be worse than the previous pitching coach
If the stats you are using are from this season (I assume they are), be aware that Taylor wasn't the pitching coach at State this past season. He was at State from 2020 - 2022, and was with the Braves for the past year. I'm not making a statement comparing him to Borrell, just want to make sure you are aware.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So, Taylor's last season was 2022, huh? So, Ga State yielded 6.1 runs per game (5.23 ERA and 4.25 BB/9i). Ranked #129 in the country. (GT yielded 7.5 RPG, 6.59 ERA and 4.9 BB/9i at #235). In 2021 Ga State was #239 yielding 6.9 RPG (GT was #203 giving up 6.5 RPG). And in 2020, while GT ranked #97 yielding 4.6 Runs per Game, Ga State was #238 giving up 6.9 RPG. I suppose they improved in 2022 over 2020 and 2021, but geez!

Can someone explain to me how this is a great upgrade, a superb hire who will lead us to a Wake Forest quality pitching staff?

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So, Taylor's last season was 2022, huh? So, Ga State yielded 6.1 runs per game (5.23 ERA and 4.25 BB/9i). Ranked #129 in the country. (GT yielded 7.5 RPG, 6.59 ERA and 4.9 BB/9i at #235). In 2021 Ga State was #239 yielding 6.9 RPG (GT was #203 giving up 6.5 RPG). And in 2020, while GT ranked #97 yielding 4.6 Runs per Game, Ga State was #238 giving up 6.9 RPG. I suppose they improved in 2022 over 2020 and 2021, but geez!

Can someone explain to me how this is a great upgrade, a superb hire who will lead us to a Wake Forest quality pitching staff?
He doesn't pitch! He coaches. Players pitch. Duh

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

My expectations were not high. I did not expect a big splash hire under the circumstances. I just want improvement & I have no way of judging or predicting.

Not sure anyone (on here) has claimed a big upgrade either... just a bunch of optimism.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I've given up forecasting. DBo should have been great. Just waiting to see the results and that will take two seasons.

Early indication of pitching expectations will be the portal (out and in) of pitchers, how many 2024 and later pitchers decommit as well as low ball draft offers taken (like Grissom did).

It's the player actions that count the most to validate or refute the quality of this hire IMHO.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've given up forecasting. DBo should have been great. Just waiting to see the results and that will take two seasons.

Early indication of pitching expectations will be the portal (out and in) of pitchers, how many 2024 and later pitchers decommit as well as low ball draft offers taken (like Grissom did).

It's the player actions that count the most to validate or refute the quality of this hire IMHO.
If nothing else "we're due"

...possibly one of my favorite axioms in baseball (& life for that matter) THE DUE FACTOR. We've waited long enough, right?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What makes me excited about this hire is the fact that he was a scout, has experience as a pitching coach, and obviously did well enough at Georgia State to get hired by a major league team. He keeps constantly rising up the ranks, so he must have a lot of knowledge and be good at what he does. Also, it looks like he is an excellent recruiter. Like I said earlier, we need to see the results, but I do think Taylor is a good hire.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I’ve watched more non-GT college baseball this year than any other. I’m hearing consistent themes- unreliable starting pitching, lots of true freshman thrown right into the frying pan, injuries galore disrupting staffs, guys showing promise previous season pitching like crap the next year necessitating changes. All sounding very similar except for the teams playing now had guys step up. Did we/do we always have nobody to step up, are we stopping them from stepping up, etc????? How do/did these other teams do it?

We lose Borden, we get Campbell. We lost hall we got DeLeo. We found Dispigna, Giesler…… Pitching has been a consistent unresolved problem. Hope we solved it but we got a lot of hope riding on 1 guy here.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
Did we/do we always have nobody to step up, are we stopping them from stepping up, etc????? How do/did these other teams do it?

We lose Borden, we get Campbell. We lost hall we got DeLeo. We found Dispigna, Giesler…… Pitching has been a consistent unresolved problem. Hope we solved it but we got a lot of hope riding on 1 guy here.
We had a few guys who did not hit well in ACC play if you look at the stats. Similar to the C position, some reserve players needed to be plugged in 1 of the 3 games in a series to see if they could provide a spark. And when pitching showed a sign of life (as short span as it was) the bats disappeared.