Pick your goldout shirt

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Blue is the second most popular color, and one of the most popular shirt colors. Unlike white and gold/yellow, it also hides stains and generally looks better with khakis. At $50+ per shirt, I want to wear it after the first tailgate where I spill wing sauce on it. I can agree with @Yomanser about crowd unity, but I think if our crowd was actually fired up and cheering, it wouldn't really matter what color we are wearing.

You are also wrong about the margins of sales. The disparity in the display is reflective of the disparity in sales. Blue vastly outperforms white and gold in shirt sales. I would rather we worry about enlarging our fanbase rather than browbeating our current fanbase with color schemes.
I think both of your arguments have merit. That said, I believe the school should promote color unity as it promotes unity among the fans as well as between the fans and the team. I find it ridiculous the bookstore doesn't provide more apparel in our primarily colors. If the school doesn't care why should the fans?

crut

Helluva Engineer
Blue is the second most popular color, and one of the most popular shirt colors. Unlike white and gold/yellow, it also hides stains and generally looks better with khakis. At $50+ per shirt, I want to wear it after the first tailgate where I spill wing sauce on it. I can agree with @Yomanser about crowd unity, but I think if our crowd was actually fired up and cheering, it wouldn't really matter what color we are wearing.

You are also wrong about the margins of sales. The disparity in the display is reflective of the disparity in sales. Blue vastly outperforms white and gold in shirt sales. I would rather we worry about enlarging our fanbase rather than browbeating our current fanbase with color schemes.

I know from talking with the manager of the GT bookstore that the disparity of the apparel displayed is greatly impacted by the lack of "Old Gold" apparel available from Nike, UA and other providers.

Also to your point about blue outperforming other less primary colors, here are some schools where blue is (actually) a school color but is far out purchased by a different color for gameday apparel:

1. West Virginia - yellow wins
2. UVA - orange wins
3. Penn St. - white wins (obviously)
4. Illinois - orange wins
5. Arizona - red
6. Ole Miss - red

Point being, sure blue is a popular color but it's far more about poorly promoting the whites and golds than it is about navy being great. It's also the fact that navy isn't a school color and people wearing navy to GT events straight appear like opposing fans unless you are within 10 feet. Furthermore, I'd argue that overtime, the fanbase has a much better chance of growing if the brand is consistent. People wearing navy deters from GT's brand.

Clothing color - it's a stupid thing I know. But it's so GD simple and it would help the program if GT would up it's clothing game.