Pick your goldout shirt

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The gold washes out on TV. Looking at replays of last years Vandy game, the crowd looks horrible in that color. We should all wear either white or blue or adopt a really bright yellow alternate "gold" that pops on TV. Of course, the Jax State game won't draw the TV audience that Vandy did last year...

And Blue is a tertiary color @Supersizethatorder-mutt, even if you can't stand it. :D

The gold washes out on TV. Looking at replays of last years Vandy game, the crowd looks horrible in that color. We should all wear either white or blue or adopt a really bright yellow alternate "gold" that pops on TV. Of course, the Jax State game won't draw the TV audience that Vandy did last year...

And Blue is a tertiary color @Supersizethatorder-mutt, even if you can't stand it. :D
Yes, it is, but tertiary means just that.....TERTIARY...THIRD IN LINE. Gold and White should ALWAYS take precedence.
And so what if a color "washes out" on TV. It's not all about TV audiences. It's about the school and its traditions and official colors.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Yes, it is, but tertiary means just that.....TERTIARY...THIRD IN LINE. Gold and White should ALWAYS take precedence.
And so what if a color "washes out" on TV. It's not all about TV audiences. It's about the school and its traditions and official colors.
Crowd unity also does wonders for a stadium's atmosphere. If everyone showed up in gold every game (except for the whiteout game), then Bobby Dodd would be a pretty intimidating place. We've seen what whiteout games can do for our gameday atmosphere; now imagine that every game. A unifying color also looks great on television and every little bit helps with Tech's woeful branding issues. I'll be doing my part

crut

Helluva Engineer

Good lord I do not understand why people wear navy to GT football games. No one except long time GT fans associates navy with GT at all, so you straight up look like an opposing fan. And unless it's late fall you're going to be hot as hell. At a minimum wear white OR gold. It's such a simple concept.

I DO understand how Pantone 874 can be a crappy clothing color, so I fully support TS pushing the concept of developing a new, streamlined gold for apparel so we can rid the fan base of inconsistency, bad apparel, and a washed out crowd. The gold should pop, so it would have to shift to less brown and more yellow.

Last edited:
Good lord I do not understand why people wear navy to GT football games. No one except long time GT fans associates navy with GT at all, so you straight up look like an opposing fan. And unless it's late fall you're going to be hot as hell. At a minimum wear white OR gold. It's such a simple concept.

I DO understand how Pantone 874 can be a crappy clothing color, so I fully support TS pushing the concept of developing a new, streamlined gold for apparel so we can rid the fan base of inconsistency, bad apparel, and a washed out crowd. The gold should pop, so it would have to shift to less brown and more yellow.
Good to know I'm not the only "fashionista" on these boards. :D:D:D

crut

Helluva Engineer
They sell what people are buying. If gold product sits on the shelves, then they don't buy more of it.

I understand that premise, but:

1. I don't believe that navy is outselling both white and gold by massive margins. I think it also has to do with suppliers not having a lot of options with the corret GT gold on it (that doesn't give a good excuse for white though - which is a good selling color for men's clothing)
2. This is the college bookstore. Even if the tertiary color IS outselling the primary colors... on the basis of being the college's on campus store, you should still be at least displaying the schools colors in moderate quantities. It's a different kind of store if that makes sense.
3. The combination of poor sales/poor supply is yet another reason the gold for GT needs to be modified
4. GT also does a poor job of promoting wearing white and gold as much as possible. There should be a strong connection with the bookstore - which provides a good opportunity for "color marketing." Some "UP WITH THE WHITE AND GOLD!" signs around a bunch of white and gold clothing might subliminally encourage people to buy those colors and deter them from buying navy and grey.

1. I don't believe that navy is outselling both white and gold by massive margins. I think it also has to do with suppliers not having a lot of options with the corret GT gold on it (that doesn't give a good excuse for white though - which is a good selling color for men's clothing)
2. This is the college bookstore. Even if the tertiary color IS outselling the primary colors... on the basis of being the college's on campus store, you should still be at least displaying the schools colors in moderate quantities. It's a different kind of store if that makes sense.
3. The combination of poor sales/poor supply is yet another reason the gold for GT needs to be modified
4. GT also does a poor job of promoting wearing white and gold as much as possible. There should be a strong connection with the bookstore - which provides a good opportunity for "color marketing." Some "UP WITH THE WHITE AND GOLD!" signs around a bunch of white and gold clothing might subliminally encourage people to buy those colors and deter them from buying navy and grey.
A simple "like" is not enough. HELL YEAH !!!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like White and Gold personally, it just doesn't stay wearable in public very long with me. When I was in school, I had a white fitted cap with an embroidered gold GT. It was my favorite hat of all time. I've never seen that hat sold since.

Navy blue is not a tertiary color, it's officially an accent color. Personally, I think the more options we have for merchandise, the better. I think the powers-that-be hold on to those strings way too hard. I say even if someone does pirate our merchandise and not pay a royalty, at least people are out there wearing our merchandise. License the damn stuff!

I like White and Gold personally, it just doesn't stay wearable in public very long with me. When I was in school, I had a white fitted cap with an embroidered gold GT. It was my favorite hat of all time. I've never seen that hat sold since.

Navy blue is not a tertiary color, it's officially an accent color. Personally, I think the more options we have for merchandise, the better. I think the powers-that-be hold on to those strings way too hard. I say even if someone does pirate our merchandise and not pay a royalty, at least people are out there wearing our merchandise. License the damn stuff!
When the official Gator Bowl shirts and Dublin shirts were blue, I nearly barfed. The "official" shirt for our games should always be either white or gold. And with Kentucky's primary color being blue, although a different shade, that just made the choice all the more ridiculous.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Guess I'm one of the few who don't care, all I want is to see our stadium full of fans each home game. Now if we are voting on it being full with men or women I'm wanting more women.
Full of OUR fans, I hope you mean...;)

One thing that burns me up about GT fans wearing tertiary/accent colors--or worse, random colors--is going into BDS and seeing that the opposing fans are always far better at creating a block of their team's colors than we are at showcasing GT colors.

When you say, "I don't care..." what you are effectively saying is, "I don't mind if the visiting team's fans show better than we do at BDS." I can't say I agree with that--but you are right that GT fans supporting the team (loudly), whatever color they wear, is always a good thing.

You won't catch me on game day wearing a shirt that isn't white or gold (although I reserve the right to wear my blue GT polartec jacket over my white/gold at the tailgate, on brisk days). That said, I don't have a problem with any GT fan having different priorities wrt wearing the team colors...

...except, or course, for stoning any "GT fan" wearing <gag>red<retch>.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Blue is the second most popular color, and one of the most popular shirt colors. Unlike white and gold/yellow, it also hides stains and generally looks better with khakis. At $50+ per shirt, I want to wear it after the first tailgate where I spill wing sauce on it. I can agree with @Yomanser about crowd unity, but I think if our crowd was actually fired up and cheering, it wouldn't really matter what color we are wearing.

You are also wrong about the margins of sales. The disparity in the display is reflective of the disparity in sales. Blue vastly outperforms white and gold in shirt sales. I would rather we worry about enlarging our fanbase rather than browbeating our current fanbase with color schemes.

Blue is the second most popular color, and one of the most popular shirt colors. Unlike white and gold/yellow, it also hides stains and generally looks better with khakis. At $50+ per shirt, I want to wear it after the first tailgate where I spill wing sauce on it. I can agree with @Yomanser about crowd unity, but I think if our crowd was actually fired up and cheering, it wouldn't really matter what color we are wearing.

You are also wrong about the margins of sales. The disparity in the display is reflective of the disparity in sales. Blue vastly outperforms white and gold in shirt sales. I would rather we worry about enlarging our fanbase rather than browbeating our current fanbase with color schemes.
:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: