PI on fake punt

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I’m sure if we completed that fake punt pass it would’ve saved the game...10 years is enough. CPJ gotta go. Oh wait am I getting banned now and anti-Tech??
That's not why people get banned.

The number of people calling for CPJ's head is surprising for a board that is "pro CPJ". It's as if folks are intentionally not reading threads.... that is one indicator of flaming and trolling, which if continued will get someone banned.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the rule is essentially “if the pass looks like a punt there is no PI”. If the reciever turned and backtracked (or back shoulder throw) toward the ball, the defender would see the play as a pass and PI could be called.
It would be defensive holding on the receiving team for holding up the gunners typically...so no PI but instead defensive holding...regardless where the ball is thrown...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The zebra said WTTE there could not be a penalty on a receiver if it looked like we were going to punt. Call it what you want, but if I were a special teams coach I’d tackle everyone firing off the line on a punt if they were an eligible receiver & I’d cite this BS rule if it even exists.

The point is this. PI is not the same as holding. There was an illegal hold on the play.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Like i said in the chat, it may not have been PI, but it damn sure was holding

I got my hands on a secret copy of the ACC Referee's Guidance for 2017 and it clearly states that "In the interest of improving the image of ACC teams in the eyes of AP, Coaches, and CFP voters who are dumb as rocks and don't actually watch any games, it will be our unofficial policy to never call holding, on anyone, in order to increase offensive output." Yes, our DL gets screwed on an week in, week out basis and you can see uncalled holding from the upper deck, but the ACC Refs are doing this to everyone.

What was truly amazing was their willingness to not call False Start against Wake Forest.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I got my hands on a secret copy of the ACC Referee's Guidance for 2017 and it clearly states that "In the interest of improving the image of ACC teams in the eyes of AP, Coaches, and CFP voters who are dumb as rocks and don't actually watch any games, it will be our unofficial policy to never call holding, on anyone, in order to increase offensive output." Yes, our DL gets screwed on an week in, week out basis and you can see uncalled holding from the upper deck, but the ACC Refs are doing this to everyone.

What was truly amazing was their willingness to not call False Start against Wake Forest.
Or illegal motion when 3 VT players (including the QB) started to shift and move before the snap.