PI on fake punt

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
It makes sense if you think about it for a second. Those outside guys on punts are looking to get blocked, and I’m guessing the rule exists for a good reason if you go look at history.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the rule is essentially “if the pass looks like a punt there is no PI”. If the reciever turned and backtracked (or back shoulder throw) toward the ball, the defender would see the play as a pass and PI could be called.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It makes sense if you think about it for a second. Those outside guys on punts are looking to get blocked, and I’m guessing the rule exists for a good reason if you go look at history.
OK if the rule was in place how the hell didn’t GT’s staff know about it before the game. Did we just wake up & realize after the fact our play could never have worked because the defense is allowed to mug receivers on 4th down?

Secondly, who determines if the player receiving the snap on 4th down is a punter or a quarterback?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
OK if the rule was in place how the hell didn’t GT’s staff know about it before the game. Did we just wake up & realize after the fact our play could never have worked because the defense is allowed to mug receivers on 4th down?

Secondly, who determines if the player receiving the snap on 4th down is a punter or a quarterback?

They knew the rule. The play was supposed to be a back shoulder throw. The play wasn’t executed well.

LibertyTurns

Banned
They knew the rule. The play was supposed to be a back shoulder throw. The play wasn’t executed well.
Back shoulder throw or not the ruling on the field was there’s no PI on 4th down. It could have been a perfect throw & all the defender has to do is tackle the receiver before the pass gets there. This play has ZERO chance of being successful unless the WR has mre than 20 yds between him and a defender and with that much buffer it’s probably still a very low probability play because the defender can just tackle the receiver without any concern about being flagged for anything.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Back shoulder throw or not the ruling on the field was there’s no PI on 4th down. It could have been a perfect throw & all the defender has to do is tackle the receiver before the pass gets there. This play has ZERO chance of being successful unless the WR has mre than 20 yds between him and a defender and with that much buffer it’s probably still a very low probability play because the defender can just tackle the receiver without any concern about being flagged for anything.

That is not the rule. There can be PI on a fake punt, provided the throw doesn’t look like a punt, which ours did. It wasn’t explained well by the ref.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
and that folks is a perfect summation of our losses...

"The play wasn’t executed well"
Our players have excellent academic entrance standards I find these kinds of errors disturbing. .

Actually hate to see us waste a play like that in a hopelessly bad situation

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I has never heard the rule that there can be no PI on fake punts. That seems like a crazy loophole. As a defender you should tackle any receivers near you on a fake. It’s legal!

Gents...we have way worse things to worry about than that one lousy play.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our players have excellent academic entrance standards I find these kinds of errors disturbing. .

Actually hate to see us waste a play like that in a hopelessly bad situation

There is a difference between making decisions, even stressful ones, while sitting at a desk compared to making them while running full speed or physically engaged with someone trying to plant your *** in the grass. The players are also making these decisions while attempting to recognize where other teammates may be going based upon their play assignments.

And no I'm not excusing missed assignments. We need to do a better job flat out. But you are comparing apples and oranges from the planet Mars. I'm not even certain the same portions of the brain carry the majority of the workload in those two differing tasks. But Ill bet you lunch the players brains are firing more synapses during a play than a scholar working on a calculus problem at a desk.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Thank you!!!!!!!

It's been driving me nuts thstvno one else seems to get this.
The zebra said WTTE there could not be a penalty on a receiver if it looked like we were going to punt. Call it what you want, but if I were a special teams coach I’d tackle everyone firing off the line on a punt if they were an eligible receiver & I’d cite this BS rule if it even exists.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure if we completed that fake punt pass it would’ve saved the game...10 years is enough. CPJ gotta go. Oh wait am I getting banned now and anti-Tech??