Phil Steele: GT 14th Most Difficult Schedule in the Country

JT staying healthy and JHD becoming eligible are the the two biggest keys to success this year.
There are a lot of "biggest" keys this year, just as in every year. Helps to keep things interesting. How about keeping JT eligible and JHD staying healthy? The development of Francis Kallon, the contributions of the Austins, who's going to play WR, where is Quayshawn's replacement, will Whitehead work out? Lots of questions, and I am certain there will be lots of answers. THWG

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
There's no way to know how good any of those teams you mentioned will be this year. Dismissing them out of hand at this point is premature. One thing is for sure, they're all loaded with high caliber athletes up and down their rosters. We will earn each and every W we get this year.
I don't remember dismissing them. I don't think we're gonna show up and beat everyone by four TDs; I was just explaining why some people had hope that we could make it to the playoffs, and I don't know why FSU, Clemson, Notre Dame, and UGA fans can all think and talk about it ahead of time and we can't.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember dismissing them.
"Notre Dame sucks, they're just a name. FSU lost a ton of starters, most importantly Jameis; UGA is the same as usual, they have no QB but they'll be able to run the ball and play solid defense; clemson lost almost their entire defense; VT is going downhill in a hurry; and we're simply better than anyone else on our schedule other than Miami and they're bipolar."

That's dismissing, imo. At this point in time, we don't even know how good we're gonna bet yet, let alone the competition, let alone teams that reload their rosters with blue chip recruits year in and year out.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
"Notre Dame sucks, they're just a name. FSU lost a ton of starters, most importantly Jameis; UGA is the same as usual, they have no QB but they'll be able to run the ball and play solid defense; clemson lost almost their entire defense; VT is going downhill in a hurry; and we're simply better than anyone else on our schedule other than Miami and they're bipolar."

That's dismissing, imo. At this point in time, we don't even know how good we're gonna bet yet, let alone the competition, let alone teams that reload their rosters with blue chip recruits year in and year out.

Okay I dismissed Notre Dame because I don't like them, but other than that I was just stating facts. It won't be easy, I'm simply saying why do we have such a bad shot at making the playoff? I believe in our team.

Tech First

Jolly Good Fellow
"
CobbTech said:
I'm sorry it irks you. It irks me that we can't beat UGA at home. We've lost 7 straight in atlanta and most of them haven't been close. ..."
What I meant was . Was he saying that we have had only ACC ref's two times in Bobby Dodd since 87 or do you mean we have only had ACC ref's in both places two times since 87.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I meant was . Was he saying that we have had only ACC ref's two times in Bobby Dodd since 87 or do you mean we have only had ACC ref's in both places two times since 87.
We have had ACC refs at BDS@HGF in 2013 since 1987. ACC refs were at Sanford in each even year from 1990 through 2012.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
This one of the big reasons why I think people who are talking playoff are crazy. At ND will be tough. We haven't won at Miami in the PJ era. VT is always tough. We've struggled big time at Clemson the last three tries and if Watson is healthy, they will be really tough. FSU still has athletes. We haven't beaten UGA in atl since 1999 so until we actually do that, I'm assuming that's an L.

I'll say it again...with all of the talent and senior leadership we lost from 2014 along with a much tougher schedule, I will be pleased with 8-4 and ecstatic if we get to 9 wins.
Is it possible for you to just stop being a gt fan? Or at least stop posting stuff like this, either works. You're pretty much putting our players down we had a fairly hard schedule last year and look what we did. I could use your same logic as untill we do it I'm counting it as a L, and say untill they beat us this year I'm counting it as a W. We haven't beat ugag in a long time but guess what we beat them, so is it possible you actually support your team? You also must forget what we have got coming in, hunt-days, whitehead and other guys stepping up and having another year under their belt. Yes there are questions but you can't say they will be answered bad or good until the season starts.I understand you want to be realistic and I'm aware we might not have a year like last year but keep the negativity to yourself or just don't comment. Please and thank you.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it possible for you to just stop being a gt fan? Or at least stop posting stuff like this, either works. You're pretty much putting our players down we had a fairly hard schedule last year and look what we did. I could use your same logic as untill we do it I'm counting it as a L, and say untill they beat us this year I'm counting it as a W. We haven't beat ugag in a long time but guess what we beat them, so is it possible you actually support your team? You also must forget what we have got coming in, hunt-days, whitehead and other guys stepping up and having another year under their belt. Yes there are questions but you can't say they will be answered bad or good until the season starts.I understand you want to be realistic and I'm aware we might not have a year like last year but keep the negativity to yourself or just don't comment. Please and thank you.

Are you kidding me right now? Are you really that sensitive? So now because I don't think we're a playoff team, I don't support the team? I buy tickets, merchandise, etc. Why are you being a *****? Stop posting? Stop being a fan? You need to stop being a pansy.

I think you forgot that Hunt-Days isn't officially eligible for the season. I hope and pray he is. We need him. The other teams will be good. We will be good as well. At ND, at Miami and at Clemson will all be tough. VT, FSU and UGA at home will be tough. I haven't even mentioned the two teams we lost to last season. Are you really mad that I think it would be a good year if we won 8 or 9 games?

If you and others find my comments offensive, I hope the board moderators let me know and I can find another board to read. However, I think (hope) it's just you.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you kidding me right now? Are you really that sensitive? So now because I don't think we're a playoff team, I don't support the team? I buy tickets, merchandise, etc. Why are you being a *****? Stop posting? Stop being a fan? You need to stop being a pansy.

I think you forgot that Hunt-Days isn't officially eligible for the season. I hope and pray he is. We need him. The other teams will be good. We will be good as well. At ND, at Miami and at Clemson will all be tough. VT, FSU and UGA at home will be tough. I haven't even mentioned the two teams we lost to last season. Are you really mad that I think it would be a good year if we won 8 or 9 games?

If you and others find my comments offensive, I hope the board moderators let me know and I can find another board to read. However, I think (hope) it's just you.
I'm not being serious when I say don't be a fan, and I'm saying don't post that kinda junk that pretty much doubts the team. I'm actually not mad I just think it's ridiculous when people pretty much put the team down before the season has started. I'm not like these guys saying we are goin to make the playoffs, because I know we have a ton of questions I'm just saying im giving the players the benefit of the doubt. I understand you are trying to be as realistic as possible and I really do understand that. I don't know what will happen this year for the simple fact we have so many questions.i apologize if I offended you. I can see where my message seemed mean and i could have worded it differently to not come across that way. I should have worded things like I did in this comment to show my point of view which I was trying to do in the other message but I did a poor job of. My first comment I wrote I was not being serious at all and I should have put an lol or haha.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have a tough slate and serious questionmarks at this point in time. But that's what makes being a sports fan fun. One thing is for sure, I'm the most excited I've been preseason in a very long time!

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not being serious when I say don't be a fan, and I'm saying don't post that kinda junk that pretty much doubts the team. I'm actually not mad I just think it's ridiculous when people pretty much put the team down before the season has started. I'm not like these guys saying we are goin to make the playoffs, because I know we have a ton of questions I'm just saying im giving the players the benefit of the doubt. I understand you are trying to be as realistic as possible and I really do understand that. I don't know what will happen this year for the simple fact we have so many questions.i apologize if I offended you. I can see where my message seemed mean and i could have worded it differently to not come across that way. I should have worded things like I did in this comment to show my point of view which I was trying to do in the other message but I did a poor job of. My first comment I wrote I was not being serious at all and I should have put an lol or haha.

No problem. It's not like I think our guys are a bunch of bums lol. I think we have a pretty talented team.

To me, I have a hard time seeing our team this year being as good as last season. I just feel like that was such a special group. Maybe they'll surprise me. Just because I don't think we'll be as good as last year doesn't mean that I don't think we'll have a good squad. We could be 8-4 and have a good team. Our schedule could be one of the toughest in the country, especially if some of these teams are as good as many think. Like you said, if Hunt-Days is eligible (even though he hasn't played a collegiate snap at the position), he will be the key to our defense if he is as good as advertised. He could make a world of difference. Our offense was historically good last season. A big reason of why we were so good last season on offense (Mason, Smelter, Waller, Perkins, Days, Laskey, Bostic) are guys that are gone. The good news is we still have Justin Thomas and Freddie Burden and new guys will emerge. Will they be as good as the guys before them? It's yet to be seen and I'm a tad skeptical in that area. Again, doesn't mean we won't be really good on offense. Just maybe not historically good like last season.

I see us playing 7 or 8 teams that have as much or more talent than we do. If we went 6-2 against those teams, I'd be excited. Most FBS teams lose to one team they shouldn't lose to so I expect that to happen to us along the way. 9-3 would be a heck of a year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You must not have read my other comment back to him, I said I wasn't being literal with my first statement, and did I not apologize?
Moving on....
That's what I'm referring to - giving you credit for circling back and acknowledging you yourself were over the top. I appreciate that. Water under the bridge. Back on topic now...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It seems like some Tech fans are not comfortable with the idea of us being good, and expect it to end so they hedge their bets on us. Unfortunately these same fans tend to only see the positive in our rivals, so they look at us as a big underdog. Yes, we are losing a lot, but then again so is everyone we are up against. It's the nature of the beast in college football. I look at our team and see less questions than I do on FSU/Clem/UGA. Why does everyone give those teams the benefit of the doubt but not us? Recruiting hype, plain and simple