PG Kyle Sturdivant Transfers to GT

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this year will be the year that tells us whether Pastner can recruit locally.
We will have at least 4 possibly 5 scholarships to give out and we probably lose at least 3 starters. With the current crisis I would expect there to be more desire for kids to stay closer to home (and for their parents to want them to stay closer to home). The staff has been on close to 10 guys locally, so we ought to be able to get 3-4 kids from GA. If we struggle to do that it is a bad sign.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My guy @Peacone36 called this months ago iirc.

Good pickup. Perchance pastner is hitting his recruiting stride? Perchance?

Pastner is gaining some momentum on the recruiting side, and he had the team playing well to end the season. The pieces are there for us to have a successful run over the next few years. He still needs to hit that homerun local recruit.

In terms of Sturdivant, from what I've read, he was well liked by his teammates at USC...which means he won't be one of those guys who comes in and causes headaches. It also helps because he'll be playing behind two established guards (quite possibly a top 10 national guard duo) so he'll have to wait his turn.

When I looked into his situation more at USC, the one thing I gathered was everyone was high on his potential and his talent. It's not a talent issue with Sturdivant. Mentally and emotionally the young man had to deal with a LOT, and on the other side of the country. He basically had a month off from basketball, and when he did come back the season was pretty much done. I think a new environment and being closer to home around his family will help this young man A LOT.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Pastner is gaining some momentum on the recruiting side, and he had the team playing well to end the season. The pieces are there for us to have a successful run over the next few years. He still needs to hit that homerun local recruit.

In terms of Sturdivant, from what I've read, he was well liked by his teammates at USC...which means he won't be one of those guys who comes in and causes headaches. It also helps because he'll be playing behind two established guards (quite possibly a top 10 national guard duo) so he'll have to wait his turn.

When I looked into his situation more at USC, the one thing I gathered was everyone was high on his potential and his talent. It's not a talent issue with Sturdivant. Mentally and emotionally the young man had to deal with a LOT, and on the other side of the country. He basically had a month off from basketball, and when he did come back the season was pretty much done. I think a new environment and being closer to home around his family will help this young man A LOT.
Very good post!!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is interesting how we have a problem getting hi school player but now seem to be a landing place for transfers who are originally from Ga.

I kinda look at it look at it like when a customer goes through an RFP process and chooses the option with all the bells and whistles but little performance.

They ignored the product/service with value, with whom they had built a strong rapport in the beginning, to only be let down.

They get three months into their agreement before realizing they made mistake and then come running back.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I watched some video and from what I can this kid is a baller. I like the floor vision and awareness. You can't teach that. He plays with under control and with his head up.

Nice looking outside shot. If you don't come out on him he hits it. If you do come out he can blow by and finish at the rim, or get in the paint and dish.

My only real question is his quickness (I'm not saying he's slow I just can't tell from what I saw). I do see a lot of changes of speed, so I'm optimistic that he can play at the pace necessary to excel in the ACC. I also can't tell if he can defend, or how well he will defend in our system (again limitation of highlights).

My first reaction though is this is a big pick up. I look forward to seeing him on the floor.

/

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Given we have a solid and experienced 3 guard rotation returning with Maxwell possibly getting some floor time, I hope Sturdivant is OK with sitting one and playing 3. I guess we'll need to wait and see if the NCAA approves the immediate transfer rule.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sturdivant and Norcross played against McEachern last season in the semifinals. I believe there were about 6-8 high major prospects on the court that day. The highlights below don't show it, but Sturdivant was Norcross's best player that game, and that's saying something considering Brandon Boston was part of that team.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Slowly, surely, CJP is turning this program around. I haven’t been this optimistic about the direction of our hoops program since Coach Bobby was roaming the sidelines.

We’re starting to recruit at a high level (for GT), we’re definitely developing players at an elite level, and the game day coaching has improved immeasurably.

It’s happening.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
You realize this kids dad died tragically while he was gone, right?

Plus, as @GT11 said, many of these coaches lie to get the kids to leave home.
I wasn't talking about this particular player. Just players from GA whom wish to leave the state when selecting schools.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wasn't talking about this particular player. Just players from GA whom wish to leave the state when selecting schools.

Thanks for clarifying. I think we all agree there's a degree of buyer's remorse with a lot of these transfers.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Slowly, surely, CJP is turning this program around. I haven’t been this optimistic about the direction of our hoops program since Coach Bobby was roaming the sidelines.

Hewitt took them to the national championship and had them playing like the most dominant team in the country the next season until Elder got hurt at Kansas. If you weren’t more optimistic about the direction of the program at that time...

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Hewitt took them to the national championship and had them playing like the most dominant team in the country the next season until Elder got hurt at Kansas. If you weren’t more optimistic about the direction of the program at that time...
It's slightly possible that I had consumed way too much brown alcohol when I made that post.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Most dominant team in the country? We beat Michigan and UGA at home and lost to #22 Gonzaga by 12 on a neutral court. Other than that, we steamrolled seven patsies. We were playing well, and I wish we could do that consistently, but we were hardly the most dominant team in the country

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Most dominant team in the country? We beat Michigan and UGA at home and lost to #22 Gonzaga by 12 on a neutral court. Other than that, we steamrolled seven patsies. We were playing well, and I wish we could do that consistently, but we were hardly the most dominant team in the country
Losing Marvin and CMo to graduation hurt the 05 team as much as BJ’s injury. But you could tell at the UIC game (which I attended) we had some flaws. We also got a bad draw with Louisville being the 4 seed in their own backyard in Nashville in March.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Losing Marvin and CMo to graduation hurt the 05 team as much as BJ’s injury. But you could tell at the UIC game (which I attended) we had some flaws. We also got a bad draw with Louisville being the 4 seed in their own backyard in Nashville in March.

I was at the UIC game also and it was awful. So many failed alley-oops and selfish drives by our veterans. Got bailed out big time at the end of the games by the refs.