PFF Week 6 Grades

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Running backs by snaps played against Duke:

1.) Hassan Hall (70)
2.) Dontae Smith (10)
3.) Dylan McDuffie (3)
4.) Jamie Felix (3)

It’s clear we have a #1 RB and pecking order in that room now. I’m not 100% sure why it’s this drastic between #1 and #2, but I don’t think it’s because of the offensive scheme we ran against Pitt.
This is the biggest mystery right now. Why have we gone to basically having a single feature back instead of RB by committee, and why is it not Dontae? I was hoping maybe we were using Hall to wear down the D and then put Dontae or one of the other guys back there during the 2nd half with fresh legs, but we just kept going with Hall.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This is the biggest mystery right now. Why have we gone to basically having a single feature back instead of RB by committee, and why is it not Dontae? I was hoping maybe we were using Hall to wear down the D and then put Dontae or one of the other guys back there during the 2nd half with fresh legs, but we just kept going with Hall.
I thought I read (or made up in my head?) that someone said his blocking skills were not as good and hall was a better blocker to help the QB in pass blocking

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that speed is the reason Key states he played more in the Pitt game. Our run blocking on our o-line has been terrible. Maybe they think they need the additional speed that Hall has

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think that speed is the reason Key states he played more in the Pitt game. Our run blocking on our o-line has been terrible. Maybe they think they need the additional speed that Hall has
I kinda' agree with this. I'd like to see our running yardage between the tackles vs outside the tackles. I'll bet the outside yardage wins by a wide margin. Hall may have the advantage outside.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think there's a reason, I just don't think anyone outside the RB room necessarily knows what that reason is. At this point, I can't believe Smith hasn't approached the coaches to get an explanation, if he didn't already know.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It seems pretty obvious that Dontae is in the dog house for something.
Whatever it was started before Key took over. The last game Smith was the primary back was WCU. He lined up in the backfield to start other games but didn’t get as many attempts as Hall.
At the time we attributed it to Collins giving up our only nice thing. :ROFLMAO:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems pretty obvious that Dontae is in the dog house for something.
I don't think he is necessarily in anyone's doghouse. Since the head coach change we have seen several players get time (or more time) than previously. It makes me wonder in the former head coach was dictating playing time for certain players but now maybe Key is relying on the input of his position coaches to dictate playing time. Take the kicker position. I can't fathom why in the world a change wasn't made sooner. Returning to the running back position, unless any of you are in the position team meetings or trainer room we don't know if there are other factors like minor injuries affecting the playing time. Then again it may just be something as simple as Hall got his chance against Pitt and performed well so coach Key is going with the hot hand. Being the "old school" coach that he is I think that is more likely than Smith being in the doghouse.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he is necessarily in anyone's doghouse. Since the head coach change we have seen several players get time (or more time) than previously. It makes me wonder in the former head coach was dictating playing time for certain players but now maybe Key is relying on the input of his position coaches to dictate playing time. Take the kicker position. I can't fathom why in the world a change wasn't made sooner. Returning to the running back position, unless any of you are in the position team meetings or trainer room we don't know if there are other factors like minor injuries affecting the playing time. Then again it may just be something as simple as Hall got his chance against Pitt and performed well so coach Key is going with the hot hand. Being the "old school" coach that he is I think that is more likely than Smith being in the doghouse.
Up until about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Hall was averaging 3.2 yards per rush (45 total). He didn't really have a hot hand and it didn't make much sense why we wouldn't give our normal starter more reps. Even McDuffie got more than Smith.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Up until about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Hall was averaging 3.2 yards per rush (45 total). He didn't really have a hot hand and it didn't make much sense why we wouldn't give our normal starter more reps. Even McDuffie got more than Smith.
The likely reason got mentioned here, but I'd prefer to think that isn't the real answer. He's got the best ypc on the team & the most splinters from riding the pine.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I can only see what happens in games not practice, but Dontae appears to me to be the best and most consistent at turning 2 yards into 4 yards, and 4 to 8. I’d like to see what happpens when he gets 20+ carries Which is strange to say after the 157 yard performance from Hall, I know, and I don’t want to seem unappreciative of Hall. I just believe Dontae could be great if given the chance.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I said early on that Smith was going to get 1,000 yards this season. Not sure what happened, perhaps he is dinged up. But to my eye, he has been the hardest and best getting the tough yards. I'm not the coach so my opinion does not matter. Still hope he gets more carries this season.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Smith was the "normal starter" under the former coach (and everyone knows how good his decision making was). Hall is the "normal starter under the current coach. All I was trying to say is you jumped to the conclusion that Dontae is "in the doghouse for something" and I tried to point out there could be many other reasons for the change other than that. If I had to guess, the change was made because a decision was made to utilize the running back on outside runs with the RPO and use Sims for the inside RPO runs. Hall with his speed is a better fit for that while Smith is a better between the tackles runner as is McDuffie. Since the coaching change we have been running more around the end type plays like the quick pitch and swing pass than we did previously and the staff must think Hall is a better fit for that. I will also say that teams will start adjusting more to cover the outside plays which will open up the interior runs and we may see Smith and McDuffie more if and when that happens.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think it's clear that our current staff is not the kind that's going to rotate backs to make sure everyone gets their touches but rather is going to ride the back they think is best in a given situation. Hall has played well, and obviously they think he's got an edge over Tae & McDuffy at the moment from what they are seeing in practice.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Smith was the "normal starter" under the former coach (and everyone knows how good his decision making was). Hall is the "normal starter under the current coach. All I was trying to say is you jumped to the conclusion that Dontae is "in the doghouse for something" and I tried to point out there could be many other reasons for the change other than that. If I had to guess, the change was made because a decision was made to utilize the running back on outside runs with the RPO and use Sims for the inside RPO runs. Hall with his speed is a better fit for that while Smith is a better between the tackles runner as is McDuffie. Since the coaching change we have been running more around the end type plays like the quick pitch and swing pass than we did previously and the staff must think Hall is a better fit for that. I will also say that teams will start adjusting more to cover the outside plays which will open up the interior runs and we may see Smith and McDuffie more if and when that happens.
I think this is plausible if Hall gets twice as many carries as Smith. Smith only got one carry. If you get one carry when you were previously a heavily used back then your new coach doesn't like you much for some reason.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Top 5 and Bottom 5 graded players on defense (number of snaps):

1.) Khari Gee (1)
2.) Zamari Walton (70)
3.) Kenan Johnson (21)
4.) Clayton Powell-Lee (80)
5.) LaMiles Brooks (72)

17.) Kevin Harris (4)
18.) Makius Scott (48)
19.) Charlie Thomas (80)
20.) Sylvain Yondjouen (30)
21.) TK Chimedza (13)
I hope Sylvain was not hit too badly because of that penalty although he could have backed off a bit.SURELY our coaches have told him.hmmm.
The Lee true Fr at S really showed out.Amazing first game..

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Top 5 and Bottom 5 graded players on offense (number of snaps):

1.) Jeff Sims (74)
2.) Nate McCollum (50)
3.) Leo Blackburn (25)
4.) Dylan Leonard (59)
5.) Jakiah Leftwich (41)

17.) James BlackStrain (15)
18.) Paula Vaipulu (76)
19.) William Lay III (46)
20.) Corey Robinson II (68)
21.) Luke Benson (35)
Is it too early to start a Nate the Great discussion? .He has turned into a REAL threat. (8 catches, a TD, run reverses and I
loved that spin away from 3 guys on punt return.)

slugboy

Staff member
So, PFF really likes Hall, but it’s not showing up in the scoreboard:

Look upper-left, above the dotted line. That's a "scouts see him doing the right things, but he's not getting a ton of yardage", which could relate to the blocking he's getting or the plays getting called.

7A35F8ED-551A-426B-9C25-A751B0EEDE08.jpeg