PFF Week 6 Grades

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Listen to the video. I think most of us agree with the physical assessment of Sims.

Physical skill has never been Sims' issue. The unfortunate lack of anyone to develop him until this year is/was the biggest problem. The question is does he have another year left on The Flats to basically repeat his 2nd Year in Year 4 or does he/can he go portal to try to make the NFL. You'd think a South Carolina type program would take a shot at him. I think that would be a mistake and he needs to stay here for Year 4. I believe under Weinke it's his best shot but these kids got people whispering in their ears all the time, often to their detriment.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Physical skill has never been Sims' issue. The unfortunate lack of anyone to develop him until this year is/was the biggest problem. The question is does he have another year left on The Flats to basically repeat his 2nd Year in Year 4 or does he/can he go portal to try to make the NFL. You'd think a South Carolina type program would take a shot at him. I think that would be a mistake and he needs to stay here for Year 4. I believe under Weinke it's his best shot but these kids got people whispering in their ears all the time, often to their detriment.
Do you think it might depend on the trajectory of the program by year's end? If we go bowling and CBK is coach it seems to me staying here might be a great option. But on the other hand if we don't see better o-line performance I'm not sure any NFL-likely QB would want to be hampered by that. If we get to 7-5 it's unlikely we'd be ranked (unless we beat the mutts somehow), so there's that as well.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

In a position like QB, what's between the ears is equally as important to success as the physical aspects. That hasn't manifested in the way a great or even consistently good QB needs. It might still or Jeff's mental makeup might just not be the kind consistent with a high end QB. That's not a knock on him personally. Athletic performance isn't much of a proxy for the kind of person someone is. Sure, we've seen lazy talents unwilling to learn and work, but Jeff definitely isn't that. In some cases, those guys are probably better off in college when they can rely on their talent because that's all they're trying to do and aren't subject to decision paralysis.

What I'm not sure about is pinning any lack of development here on those trying to help him develop. That's a big unknowable. Hopefully with the changes, though, we'll be able to free him up to play more on instinct and shift the things he has learned to a more unconscious routine. At least we have heard intent to accomplish that straight from the top under Key. I do think that this was a general theme under CGC, making things a lot more cognitive and not being detail oriented enough to correct the little mistakes in practice. Fixing those things is so important to establish muscle memory to do the right thing when you break free of decision paralysis.

Ryan

Georgia Tech Fan
Physical skill has never been Sims' issue. The unfortunate lack of anyone to develop him until this year is/was the biggest problem.

I think the lack of consistency in OL play has been as big a factor as anyone developing him. It's really difficult to make good decisions when you're constantly running for your life.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think the lack of consistency in OL play has been as big a factor as anyone developing him. It's really difficult to make good decisions when you're constantly running for your life.
I'm not implying the OL play has been good because it's obviously not, but not 100% of the OL play is all on the OL. There's knowing when to throw the ball away, management of the huddle, audibles, etc. Yes, the inept sideline in years 1 & 2 did not help not did the lack of a competent QB coach. He's got both now as it appears. Without going into a lot of breaking down tape, it's hard to tell but a sharp improvement curve needs to start in the Virginia game for him or I think we'll have his answer. He's no longer has negative distractions and I'm sure he's now getting the guidance he deparately needs. His PFF rating is based on his personal performance as I understand it. If he holds the ball too long and gets sacked, throws into triple coverage, makes a bad read at LOS, throws the ball behind the receiver he gets dinged. If the receiver drops a well thrown pass, he throws the ball away and avoids a sack, he makes a good read, the receiver tips a catchable pass that's intercepted, the OL whiffs on a block and gets him sacked or causes a fumble that's on the OL or the WR not Sims. He gets credit for good plays on his part even if the play results in zero yards. I've not seen any stats on how long Sims is holding the ball, but watching him there's a lot of plays where he should have thrown it away or run. Obviously easier said than done, but he's in year 3 of live starts that only a fraction of NCAA QBs get to do and at some point the handwriting is on the wall despite the immense physical capabilities he has.