Bottom 5 graded players on defense (number of snaps):
22.) Derrik Allen (40)
23.) Makius Scott (35)
24.) Sylvain Yondjouen (22)
25.) Kyle Kennard (55)
26.) K.J. Wallace (82)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Our Week 2 team tacking grade (55.3) was lower than our Week 1 grade (62.4).

Our Week 2 team pass rush grade (64.7) was lower than our Week 1 grade (66.1).

Our Week 2 team pass coverage grade (63.0) was lower than our Week 1 grade (66.4).

Our Week 2 team defense grade (68.0) was approximately the same as our Week 1 grade (68.2).

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the number of snaps it appears the 2 deep got a fair amount of action in a lot of spots. Interesting there's no Charlie Thomas, not enough snaps?

gt6776c

Georgia Tech Fan
Some observations from WK1 to WK2 results:
1) Dontae and D'Quan Douse were in top 5 highest both weeks.
2) Ironically, Benson and Stone were lowest graded players WK1 but were in the Top 5 highest in WK2. Kenan Johnson also reversed the trend going from the bottom 5 to top 5. That is the way to get things corrected!
3) In WK1, all 5 lowest graded on OFF were either OL or TE. WK2 had all WR, RB, and TE so it is good to see the OL performing better. I am sure Clemson's D-Line contributed a lot to WK1.
4) Concerning that Peje Harris has been bottom 5 both weeks. Being a converted WR, could it be run blocking perhaps bringing his numbers down?
5) Did KJ Wallace play 82 snaps and have the lowest grade? That's concerning considering all the DB/Safety depth we recruited through the portal.
6) I think everyone felt Tchio and Quick would be the biggest contributors being of Clemson and Bama pedigree. Looks like Corey Robinson has really stepped up though from the transfer portal. I think I read where he was the best pass blocker in WK1 and graded out Top 5 in WK2. Kudos to JWilliams for being Top 5 both weeks!
7) Awesome to see Tatum step up at LB as we need depth there for the rest of the season and next year with Eley and Thomas gone.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the number of snaps it appears the 2 deep got a fair amount of action in a lot of spots. Interesting there's no Charlie Thomas, not enough snaps?
He graded out #6 on defense. I think it was moreso the guys ahead of him played really well. And he missed two tackles.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He graded out #6 on defense. I think it was moreso the guys ahead of him played really well. And he missed two tackles.

Saw an interesting tweet yesterday, something to the effect of:

"Since 2000, no GT defensive player has had 8 tackles, 2 TFL, a sack, and an INT in a single game. Charlie Thomas did it in a single half."

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Saw an interesting tweet yesterday, something to the effect of:

"Since 2000, no GT defensive player has had 8 tackles, 2 TFL, a sack, and an INT in a single game. Charlie Thomas did it in a single half."
Yeah he played great. Tatum also played really well. They each had three “defensive stops” - which is a tackle that constitutes a “failure” for the offense (i.e. sack, TFL, tackle for no gain).

Tatum had seven tackles, two assisted tackles, without missing a tackle. Charlie had seven tackles, zero assisted tackles, but missed two tackles in 39 snaps. Which is the only reason he wasn’t graded #1.

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Nate McCollum graded out as the top run blocker on the team (83.3) in 10 reps. Luke Benson was second (81.7) in 23 reps. E.J. Jenkins was third (78.8) in 11 reps.

The OL graded out significantly lower in run blocking than pass blocking.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Williams graded out the lowest of the starting OL in pass blocking (67.5). However, he still graded out as the top OL because of his consistency in both facets (67.7 run blocking grade).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nate McCollum graded out as the top run blocker on the team (83.3) in 10 reps. Luke Benson was second (81.7) in 23 reps. E.J. Jenkins was third (78.8) in 11 reps.

The OL graded out significantly lower in run blocking than pass blocking.
This is sort of interesting. We ran the ball quite effectively and threw it poorly but the PFF says the OL did better in pass protection than run blocking.

Makes you wonder if Western Carolina is just really bad at run defense. It did seem like Sims had time to through compared to week 1, but he just didn't throw it that well.
It also feels like the WR's as a group are not particularly strong.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is sort of interesting. We ran the ball quite effectively and threw it poorly but the PFF says the OL did better in pass protection than run blocking.

Makes you wonder if Western Carolina is just really bad at run defense. It did seem like Sims had time to through compared to week 1, but he just didn't throw it that well.

About 40% of our rushing yards came from Dontae Smith, who is one of the best RBs I've ever seen at getting yards after contact. It may be we just simply out-athleted them in the run game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Williams graded out the lowest of the starting OL in pass blocking (67.5). However, he still graded out as the top OL because of his consistency in both facets (67.7 run blocking grade).

IMO, Jordan's frame says "offensive tackle", but his skillset is probably better suited to the interior. His lateral movement and ability to keep edge rushers from using the the wider space is concerning for a tackle.

We don't have many options at OT, so we can't really afford to move him anywhere outside of Right/Left tackle.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

maybe that is why we ran so much in the second half? The coaches knew this and wanted to get as many "real world" run-blocking reps in as they could before next week

slugboy

Staff member
maybe that is why we ran so much in the second half? The coaches knew this and wanted to get as many "real world" run-blocking reps in as they could before next week
I think Key is a "Run The D*** Ball" coach, and with a lead I'd bet that a bunch of the coaches wanted to run clock and get out of the game healthy. I think it was a run-the-clock and "running wins games" strategy.