PFF Season Grades to date

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I know Pro Football Focus isn’t the gospel, but it’s pretty much the only quantitative player data we have access to outside of box scores. First pic below is the order of offensive player grades (best to worst). The TOT column is # of snaps. Second pic is the same for defense.

I won’t post details since this isn’t free, but if anyone has specific questions just PM me. They even have details such as where players lined up, their grades on specific plays (run blocking, receiving, etc.), and a bunch of other cool stats you can’t get anywhere else.

Initial comment I’ll make in regards to the grades below is Ryan Johnson and Ayinde Eley haven’t missed a snap this year. But each have graded out as pretty much the lowest on their respective unit so far.

View attachment 11170

View attachment 11172
As. GT fan, much appreciate sharing this info - and respect the need to limit details given the paywall nature of this info. Much more interesting and meaningful vs various personal opinions... We clearly need to make more progress along the Oline to get more W's... Key needs to figure it out this season...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you are a graduate of GT and you look at the FACTS. Can you blame Geoff Collins for these numbers? Juanyeh is #458 out of 471

We are way less talented than our fans think.

Guards in the 300s.

Sure there’s coaching issues and I dont Want to rip players either BUT….that’s bad.

Both Tariq and Juanyeh's numbers tell me they would play a LOT better closer to the LOS...like at LB.

Juanyeh's numbers aren't as bad as I originally thought...but man both are struggling in pass coverage. Juanyeh was actually close to very good to elite in coverage early in his career.

We've had problems with LB play for a few years...I keep saying it, but our answer has been at safety. Someone is going to sign Tariq at the next level and develop him into a good LB...much like they did with Thomas Davis from UGA.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Both Tariq and Juanyeh's numbers tell me they would play a LOT better closer to the LOS...like at LB.

Juanyeh's numbers aren't as bad as I originally thought...but man both are struggling in pass coverage. Juanyeh was actually close to very good to elite in coverage early in his career.

We've had problems with LB play for a few years...I keep saying it, but our answer has been at safety. Someone is going to sign Tariq at the next level and develop him into a good LB...much like they did with Thomas Davis from UGA.
One thing I wish I saw more was safety blitzes. Juanyeh has rushed the passer 6 times in his career. Tariq is 17 times (5 already this year).

LibertyTurns

Banned
What surprises me the most is those grades for this year were against very weak competition. Yikes! What will we see in a couple of weeks after we play two solid teams?
Are the numbers low because you have to score really, really high against really, really poor teams? If so, that explains it and we will probably get a boost even if we play poorly against Clemp.

If anyone knows I’d appreciate it. Most of the time with stats the devil’s in the details. On the other hand, the data seems to pass the eyeball and smell tests.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just being curious here.....I wonder what our coaches plus coaches elsewhere think of this data? More specifically, do they use it to inform their decisions on playing time, position changes, coaching methods and techniques. It looks like it is powerful data but I wonder how many coaches at the college and pro level feel likewise?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Apologize guys, my screenshots need to be taken down due to it being behind a paywall. Again, happy to answer questions via PM if anyone has any. PFF Premium has just about all the data/grades you can ask for (isn’t cheap though).

Also just wanted to provide PFF’s scale (albeit their NFL version) for those who wanted to contextualize.

PFF grades on a scale of 0-100, with higher grades indicating better play. PFF has explained its grades this way: 100-90 elite; 89-85 Pro Bowler; 84-70 starter; 69-60 backup; 59-0 replaceable

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Apologize guys, my screenshots need to be taken down due to it being behind a paywall. Again, happy to answer questions via PM if anyone has any. PFF Premium has just about all the data/grades you can ask for (isn’t cheap though).

Also just wanted to provide PFF’s scale (albeit their NFL version) for those who wanted to contextualize.

PFF grades on a scale of 0-100, with higher grades indicating better play. PFF has explained its grades this way: 100-90 elite; 89-85 Pro Bowler; 84-70 starter; 69-60 backup; 59-0 replaceable
Well we know Geoff doesn't agree, he says all our guys are elite.

slugboy

Staff member
I think it was last summer? Geoff said "So we have to, per man, gain 10 pounds"

1. The coaches frequently post speed numbers from the team. It's a priority for them. At WR and in the secondary (and even at LB), it's a priority.
  2. We have linemen, wide receivers, kickers, linebackers, and a wide variety of positions. Many of our linemen needed to gain more than 10 lbs. I think you're reading too much into that.
  3. 4-2-5 is a speed defense. He knows the defense.
  4. Juanyeh had an injury, and he's been slimming down since that injury.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Just being curious here.....I wonder what our coaches plus coaches elsewhere think of this data? More specifically, do they use it to inform their decisions on playing time, position changes, coaching methods and techniques. It looks like it is powerful data but I wonder how many coaches at the college and pro level feel likewise?
Many teams (both NFL and NCAA) subscribe to PFF’s data. But I will say I think it’s mostly for snap alignments than PFF’s actual grades. Also it’s easier to grade skill positions than the lines since you don’t know the schemes. But again, it’s really all we have.

For those curious, our 2014 offense graded out as the following:

#1 Broderick Snoddy
#2 Shaq Mason
#3 Deandre Smelter
#4 Deon Hill
#5 Darren Waller

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question but I doubt they pay any attention to it. I am sure they have their own grading system but you don't have to be an expert to see we still do not have a good line on either side of the ball.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Many teams (both NFL and NCAA) subscribe to PFF’s data. But I will say I think it’s mostly for snap alignments than PFF’s actual grades. Also it’s easier to grade skill positions than the lines since you don’t know the schemes. But again, it’s really all we have.

For those curious, our 2014 offense graded out as the following:

#1 Broderick Snoddy
#2 Shaq Mason
#3 Deandre Smelter
#4 Deon Hill
#5 Darren Waller
Snoddy graded #1? That makes me suspicious right there. Shaq is number one and number two due to the fact that he usually took out two players on every play. Smelter, Hill, and Waller? Yep. I believe it. Hill in particular was an underappreciated player in his time. Need a block on the perimeter, he would gladly do it. Need a couple of yards on a pitch from "Smoove"? Hill was your man. Need a clutch catch for a first down against UGA? Yep. he delivered. Did not carry the mail enough for fancy stats or records but he got the job done. One of those guys that coaches wished they had ten of them.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy graded #1? That makes me suspicious right there. Shaq is number one and number two due to the fact that he usually took out two players on every play. Smelter, Hill, and Waller? Yep. I believe it. Hill in particular was an underappreciated player in his time. Need a block on the perimeter, he would gladly do it. Need a couple of yards on a pitch from "Smoove"? Hill was your man. Need a clutch catch for a first down against UGA? Yep. he delivered. Did not carry the mail enough for fancy stats or records but he got the job done. One of those guys that coaches wished they had ten of them.
My guess is that Snoddy's overall body of work stands out in the statistical areas important to PFF's grading system. If you look at his numbers here: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/broderick-snoddy-1.html, which does not include the blocking metric that PFF also uses, they are fairly impressive. The fact that his carries were split a lot with others in the A-back role makes it seem like he wasn't an impact player.
Ave yards/carry: 7.8
Ave yards/reception: 25.2
KR ave: 22.4

Different system, but those stats arent too shabby.