PFF Season Grades to date

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
what a nice thread - started well and has stayed focused on content.
STATS

i think its a little early to get too excited about minor stat anomalies .

Thomas , however is near the bottom yet Collins has hyped him as an nfl draft pick. - This makes Collins look bad. .

Lets see how stats change over the NEXT 3 games against quality quarterbacks.

in game observation
At end of ksu as the were scoring on last 2 drives Collins yelled at Thacker and it shocked the players.
After that Thacker was like a caged animal pacing the sidelines.
(He may do that all the time but i have not notice him on sidelines.)
After he calmed down he got the dbs together and gave them chalk talk.

Post practice Thacker talk:
""We had plenty of "high energy" in the good on good practice"". He sounded pleased with the speed and technique.

Will j Thomas to shine this next 3 weeks?
i know Thacker and Collins are hoping he can make some plays.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy graded #1? That makes me suspicious right there. Shaq is number one and number two due to the fact that he usually took out two players on every play. Smelter, Hill, and Waller? Yep. I believe it. Hill in particular was an underappreciated player in his time. Need a block on the perimeter, he would gladly do it. Need a couple of yards on a pitch from "Smoove"? Hill was your man. Need a clutch catch for a first down against UGA? Yep. he delivered. Did not carry the mail enough for fancy stats or records but he got the job done. One of those guys that coaches wished they had ten of them.

Losing Hill for 2015 season was the single biggest reason we fell off.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The data looks pretty consistent with what we've seen from the play on the field. I'm really not surprised by our MD LB, he lost his starting job there and I was hoping it was an injury that set him back up there. I hope he proves me wrong now, it's 2 games in a new defensive system. Charlie Thomas and Jordan Domineck are looking fantastic as expected & they're clearly elite defenders. Yes, elite. Walker has played well. He's got good upside. There's many posters on this board that were very enamored by our OL, particularly the transfers. On paper they should have dominated the first 2 games & this game coming up should have been the real test, but as a group they've not done well at all against competition that doesn't measure up to the rest of our schedule. They miss assignments, get pushed back by you'd think physically weaker defenders (they're certainly smaller), etc. They've opened few holes in 2 games. I bought into the SEC hype, but honestly it looks like all we got was the hype. These 2 games were supposed to be 2 games, 2 quarters each of learning to gel, not learning not to sink. McGowan has been a nice addition, Yates has 1.5 nice games under his belt again against lower competition. Ouch, Juanyeah Thomas' pass D. That's brutal.

C Thomas and Walker were maybe the 2 best tacklers from hi school tape in the last few yrs. If fact it almost looked like Walker waited for the WR to catch the ball so he could hit him at times. I remember that from 3 yrs ago.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The same Ace Eley who is tied for first in the ACC for total tackles 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 11187
Yes, that same guy. I'm fully aware of his tackling stats, he's also tied for 16th in the nation FWIW.

I'd recommend watching Moneyball sometime. There's extraordinary power in good meaningful data, extreme weakness in flawed meaningless data.

Perhaps we are on the doorstep of greatness, it's possible we've got a round peg and a square hole. A breakout game against Clemson would be outstanding.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, i didn't get the picture of the "one person talking" discussion between Collins and Thacker.

I didn't see it till wife said "look at Collins, he is really getting after somebody".
I saw they were about 5 feet apart and players were looking at them. I did get a motion photo of Thacker pacing but that's not interesting.

i am glad that Collins showed signs urgency.

In the past Collins has said "we coaches go over film on Sunday and then Monday show them where they made their errors". That seems to be better for alignment and coverage calls. I hoping that getting all coaches on deck during good on good practice with immediate fine point correction, will get our safeties looking faster with tighter coverage during the games.

Then again in N ill - on 2 point play we only had 1 db guarding 2 receivers on the right side. The safeties half way rushed and did not try to knock the pass down. Now i am back being depressed about the season .

I will try to get pictures but without Coach Johnson its pretty blah on the sidelines.