Per 92.9 Bryan and Marshall Out for CLEM

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Don't even get me started talking about OL depth :mad:... we need to sign more DBs and ABs
( obviously sarcastic ! ) If anyone would look back on my posts about our OL depth, I PREDICTED this very scenario approaching the " meat" of our schedule !!
Rewind to 2017. By the time we play VT , Duke , UGA our OL will be a mess !! We can run our TO up and down the field , but at crunch time in games , we will be exposed !
" We gained 400 yards rushing , but missed 3 FGs and scored 17 points total, mostly in the first half. ". Sound familiar ? And don't mention our comeback at Pitt ! Did we win the F'ing game ?? Why were we down 21 at half ??

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see 15-17 OL on scholarship if 4 leave sign 4 more but keep 15-17 at all times .
Defense I have no idea we keep going from a 4 men to 3 men front back and back again.
That's great , if only 2 or 3 are " projects " , not ready for prime time. Otherwise , numbers mean nothing.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We let the DC and DL coach go, but keep the offensive line coaches. I don't want to sound like a crybaby, but that just seems so unfair.
++++ Cause all we look at is yardage. Did it ever occur to any of our coaches that many defenses play "vanilla" schemes against us until we get into the redzone , and then they change it up? Let us run our TO for yards , just not breakaways until the field to defend gets small and pull out some tricks. Our WRs have a hard time getting open with a lot of field in front of them , even more so inside the twenty, so passing coverage is man to man always and LBs don't need a deep drop , quicker to the pitch man, etc.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On OL recruiting:
We usually have 15 OL on scholarship, and sometime as many as 17. Still, we often struggle to have 8 to 10 we can truly rely on. That means that we have 5 to 9 scholarship guys each year who aren't really ready to play.

If we were to recruit more, we should expect that they would normally be lower on our wish list than the guys that we have already. In other words, recruiting more does not automatically translate to usable depth. We currently have 17 on scholarship, iirc.

Secondly, playing on our OL is tough, and we often lose guys with eligibility. If they're starters, we may not get them into grad school. If they're not, it's hard to bring them back.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope the radio guys are as full of it as they sometimes are. I didn't think Andrew would be ready this week; he looked really hurt. We'll see about Will.

Oth, if we can get back Kenny Cooper things won't be quite as bad. We could move Lee back to OT and with Morgan and Quinney have a decent OL for the game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
On OL recruiting:
We usually have 15 OL on scholarship, and sometime as many as 17. Still, we often struggle to have 8 to 10 we can truly rely on. That means that we have 5 to 9 scholarship guys each year who aren't really ready to play.

If we were to recruit more, we should expect that they would normally be lower on our wish list than the guys that we have already. In other words, recruiting more does not automatically translate to usable depth. We currently have 17 on scholarship, iirc.

Secondly, playing on our OL is tough, and we often lose guys with eligibility. If they're starters, we may not get them into grad school. If they're not, it's hard to bring them back.
That happens to them do they leave ? Get hurt and can't play ?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, it's not a numbers issue. It's more of a quality issue in terms of who GT is able to recruit.

Unfortunately, with the rise of spread offenses, EVERYONE wants athletic linemen who can move in space. Even the shorter guys who might have been overlooked in the past who GT made hay with, are now getting picked over by a lot of P5 schools. GT has had to get creative lately with recruiting linemen (See: Jahaziel Lee, Bo Tufele...both HS DLs that CPJ wanted to convert to OL). Add to that, you have the same issues as recruiting the skill guys on offense: the higher level OLs don't want to play in our offense. Getting someone like Parker Braun was a godsend...and fortunately our style fit the style he loved playing in and there was a legacy aspect to it.

When you have walk-ons routinely making the starting line up or playing a large part in being key backups, that's an issue. Listen, I'm not disparaging a walk ons because one of the best OLs during CPJ tenure was a WO (Sean Bedford), but having to count on WOs to fill gaps above scholarship guys coaches hand picked is concerning.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is the point that many of us are making about needing to double down for what we DO have going. Let's throw more money at the program to allow wider recruiting and evaluation of prospects that are the "Smart
Athletes". Guys like Ben Lammers in BBall and Sean Bedford in Football

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't even get me started talking about OL depth :mad:... we need to sign more DBs and ABs
( obviously sarcastic ! ) If anyone would look back on my posts about our OL depth, I PREDICTED this very scenario approaching the " meat" of our schedule !!
The problem isn’t the quantity of LOL, it’s the quality. What I mean is, we don’t have enough trained up and ready to put in the fire.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope the radio guys are as full of it as they sometimes are. I didn't think Andrew would be ready this week; he looked really hurt. We'll see about Will.

Oth, if we can get back Kenny Cooper things won't be quite as bad. We could move Lee back to OT and with Morgan and Quinney have a decent OL for the game.
Will is out.
Marshall likely out.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure I’ve seen this reported anywhere and the timing seems weird this early in the morning, but 92.9 sports update just reported that Will Bryan and Andrew Marshall are officially out vs. Clemson. Just wanted post in case. If duplicate, feel free to delete!

ETA: ANDREW Marshall. Just realized the title could be extremely misleading.
Oh no! We missed them dearly at PITT!

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Ross started with both lines as being the number one priority in creating a successful team...we have severly wandered from that successful precept...and the results ...ugh!