Pelton hopeful for Francis Kallon to ‘put it all together’

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Link

Some interesting insight as to why FK hasn't been on the field as much as most would have hoped from a 4* recruit.

"One of the biggest challenges for Kallon, Pelton said, has been his inability to retain the scheme from one season into the following spring and to the ensuing preseason camp.

'With Francis, ever since I’ve been here, no matter when you started, it was always like the first day,' Pelton said, 'whether it was the first day of spring, whether it was the first day of fall, and that’s just been the story with him.' ".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, you watch him move around on the DL and pursue, and you get excited about him "putting it all together". He's got physical talent out the wazoo. Goes to show at this level, a large part of football is between the ears.

Man, you watch him move around on the DL and pursue, and you get excited about him "putting it all together". He's got physical talent out the wazoo. Goes to show at this level, a large part of football is between the ears.
You can say that again. He is still the poster boy for how the star system is a joke.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A lot of things in life are not hard but you do have to have a lot of repetition and practice before you master it. Whether playing the guitar, riding a bike or learning the samba, few people can do these the first time they try and most people need to put in a lot of hours to become really comfortable with them. Kallon just hasn't been playing football very long at all.

Oh, I hope it comes together for him this year. I hope, I hope, I hope.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There's a whole lot of 'em. For every 4 star that flops, there's a 2 star that shines.

It feels good to all of us see a 2 * shine. This means he is better than a 3* & has flashes where he looks like over performing 3* or a 4*.

Imo we have had DE playing Dt for too long.
Recently we have stopped getting dt that are 6-5 250 & trying to add weight (kallon, gamble gostis) and have moved to getting kids that are 6-2/3 & 290 & trying to add weight( henderson, gallon).
With holding being allowed and our conservative rush style the taller dt are negated and then rolled up and pushed back. The shorter dt will (hopefully) not be pushed back making every run have extra yd.
Kallons lack of experience has been an additional issue. I hope this is his year to shine.
Would be so cool to see a defensive sub package for obvious passing downs where the taller dt and de are allowed to shoot gaps.

It feels good to all of us see a 2 * shine. This means he is better than a 3* & has flashes where he looks like over performing 3* or a 4*.

Imo we have had DE playing Dt for too long.
Recently we have stopped getting dt that are 6-5 250 & trying to add weight (kallon, gamble gostis) and have moved to getting kids that are 6-2/3 & 290 & trying to add weight( henderson, gallon).
With holding being allowed and our conservative rush style the taller dt are negated and then rolled up and pushed back. The shorter dt will (hopefully) not be pushed back making every run have extra yd.
Kallons lack of experience has been an additional issue. I hope this is his year to shine.
Would be so cool to see a defensive sub package for obvious passing downs where the taller dt and de are allowed to shoot gaps.
Maybe Ted will read this and take your advice. Because yes it would be cool.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Also saw where he was on the deans list (sorry no link). Perhaps he is working on more than just football. He was one i was most excited about when we signed him but it's hard to be disappointed in a young man that has busted his tail in the classroom. That being said....let's go kallon! Get it together and have a beastly senior year on the field

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but this is strange.The idea that a guy on the Deans list can't recall a few simple instructions on DEf is ridiculous.( "starts every Spring at the beginning") I've played and coached football a bunch and that is just ODD.Maybe the guy just doesn't have it--strength,speed.reactions,desire etc but forgets what to do ? pleeze--just go tackle the QB, go to right,left, or over the guy trying to block you!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but this is strange.The idea that a guy on the Deans list can't recall a few simple instructions on DEf is ridiculous.( "starts every Spring at the beginning") I've played and coached football a bunch and that is just ODD.Maybe the guy just doesn't have it--strength,speed.reactions,desire etc but forgets what to do ? pleeze--just go tackle the QB, go to right,left, or over the guy trying to block you!
It makes sense to me, the kid is still newer to football than most. A lot of things that are are automatic for most kids are things he still has to think about. Hopefully he's good to go in fall.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure that our schemes are more complex.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is the author who used the word "scheme". I am not sure Pelton ever did. I don't think what Coach Pelton was trying to say was "schematic" in nature. Based on what I have seen with my own eyes, when I read coach's quote, I thought "technique" and not "scheme". Truly, Kallon has struggled with DT technique for his entire tenure. I have seen him play well at times and then look like a total novice to football at others (in no particular order). Francis might have trouble with our defensive scheme but I highly doubt it. I think he just has trouble with the basic fundamentals like pad level and hand and foot work that goes with the position. He is VERY athletic for his size, but if he plays too high and and can't use his hands, it doesn't really matter. Not only that, but he reacts slowly to plays developing a certain way (like screens), indicating a low football IQ. He is a work in progress. Time is running out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And I believe the coach said something to the effect of Kallon being at about the level of a junior in high school at this point in terms of how much football he has seen in his life time.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
DT is a hard position and takes having a lot in one's muscle memory in terms of hands, hips, pad level, steps, etc.

It makes sense that you'd lose this kind of thing if it was all new to you.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Jc, how many people do you know who ball out only having just one year in high school. He was a soccer player btw. When football is not your calling there will always be an adjustment time. Most people in America have been playing since pop warner. Its easy.to forget that when he got here he knew way less than the average American football player. Fyi rugby is way closer to American rules football then soccer, for the Gotis fans. After four years I can't wait to see if he can put it all together.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Some would say if your hope is hope - then there is no hope.

Maybe he can suddenly put it together, but we need more from kids who have been here 3 or 4 years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Link

"
'With Francis, ever since I’ve been here, no matter when you started, it was always like the first day,' Pelton said, 'whether it was the first day of spring, whether it was the first day of fall, and that’s just been the story with him.' ".
Not exactly what they mean by athletes having a short memory. This is not good and probably not fixable.