Paul Johnson's wisdom this year

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been thinking back to some of the stuff coach said during the course of the year. At the times he made these observations I wasn't sure about them, but looking back, he pretty much knew what he was talking about.

Preseason, for those of us who know his ways, there were plenty of indications that he thought he was entering the season with a good team. Now when he is talking about the team, he is mostly talking about the offense. I'd say in hindsight he was right about that.

After the losses to Pitt and Miami, most of us were pretty gloomy about what kind of year we were going to have. I know I was. He said, in effect, it's too early to panic. We can still have a good year. Let's keep playing and see what happens. That one certainly worked out.

He said more than once that with a few exceptions, most college football teams are so close in talent that almost anyone is capable of beating anyone else. 5 or so plays going for you or against you decide the game. Well, I know it happens every year, but my perception is that we have never had a year where more teams which had no chance going into a game ended up winning.

After the North Carolina debacle, most fans were saying we had to make major changes on the defensive side. Coach said no, there is a tweak we should make, but there's no sense in making wholesale changes. We simply have to play better. This one may still be debatable, but we played defense well enough to finish strong and get wins over VT and Georgia.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but in truth I think the tail end of our season was simply a case of us making fewer mistakes than the teams we played. VPI&SU absolutely handed that game to us, and Virgina's interceptions helped us salt that game away, and against UGa they had the game won, and frankly, blew it (but credit to us, especially on offense, for pressuring them into that).

But our defense really did not play all that well in most of those games, as much as the opposition played poorly. It does not fill me with optimism for next year. Our offense did come around, and that did help by putting pressure on the opposition, who likely felt they *had* to do something to counter us in that regard, so it is not total doom and gloom. But I still don't see our D line stopping even an inadequate running team (UGa and UVa both fit that category, I believe) and our overall D is likely to be another liability next year for us. The real question is whether a new QB can execute our offense at the level needed to put pressure eon the other team. One game does not confirm nor deny that...

Well, if we are talking about next year already let's go. Schedule. We will know a lot in Game 1 Tennessee. They will be replacing their offense and their defense, at least here at the end is horrible. We also have Jville State and UCF. Pretty sure we win those. Clemson at Clemson and they will be replacing their offense. Wake Forest, should be a win. We get VT, UNC, Pitt at home. UVA, Duke, Miami, on the road. I would say having the Dwags at home would be good but history says not. On those teams, UVA and Duke look to be in full retreat. UNC will be replacing their offense. Pitt the same. Well, not going to go beyond that. For us we have to find a QB and I do think the loss of MM will hurt us, but we will survive. The D, we shall see. The biggest name we have to replace is Butker.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, if we are talking about next year already let's go. Schedule. We will know a lot in Game 1 Tennessee. They will be replacing their offense and their defense, at least here at the end is horrible. We also have Jville State and UCF. Pretty sure we win those. Clemson at Clemson and they will be replacing their offense.

Do you mean their OC and DC? Just a quick Google search on their depth chart this year shows only 5 SR's across O and D. That's kind of scary if they're returning 17 starters...

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2016/1/19/10788096/tennessee-football-2016-depth-chart-projections

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but in truth I think the tail end of our season was simply a case of us making fewer mistakes than the teams we played. VPI&SU absolutely handed that game to us, and Virgina's interceptions helped us salt that game away, and against UGa they had the game won, and frankly, blew it (but credit to us, especially on offense, for pressuring them into that).

Yes, I hate it when we beat ourselves. We didn't those last three games and the results were good!

Deleted member 2897

Well, we're replacing Butker and Rodwell with the #2 kicker in the country and the #1 punter in the country. Check out Bulovas on YouTube especially. There's videos of him hitting FG from 70 yards.

On offense we return everybody but QB and C. And Kenny Cooper got a lot of playing time at C this year. We have MJ11 returning as our ace in the hole - we can win with him and he has experience. Not nearly as dynamic as JT5 but can run lots of midline and follow plays that Justin can't. And JJ and LJ may surprise us and be as good as we had hoped. Our offense should be even better next year if you ask me. Replacing Lynn Griffin and Ike Willis with probably Nate Cottrell. Searcy, Lynch, Green, and Cottrell? Sheeeeeeeit. AND, on that offense next year our only senior will be Ricky Jeune...possibly Shamire Devine if he's still in the mix.

Defense we really only lose 2 guys that hogged playing time - Pat Gamble and PJ Davis.

I am highly optimistic about next year - I think we will be a little better and I think other teams will come down a notch due to their seniors and early drafters. We have a schedule that with good play and some luck we could run the home games (not counting TN). I see no reason to think we won't be shooting for a 9th win again next year.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you mean their OC and DC? Just a quick Google search on their depth chart this year shows only 5 SR's across O and D. That's kind of scary if they're returning 17 starters...

Vols fans and the media are ready to bury Butch Davis. But one key thing that hasn't been talked about as much as it should be is that Tennessee was absolutely decimated by injuries this season. I read going into the Alabama game that they were down 9 starters, and at this point 19 players who have started games have had to miss at least one start due to injury. After last year we can certainly relate to that, yet the Vols still manged to win 8 games. We're digressing off-topic here but to your point, we can count on Tennessee coming back strong to face Tech next August.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, we're replacing Butker and Rodwell with the #2 kicker in the country and the #1 punter in the country. Check out Bulovas on YouTube especially. There's videos of him hitting FG from 70 yards.

On offense we return everybody but QB and C. And Kenny Cooper got a lot of playing time at C this year. We have MJ11 returning as our ace in the hole - we can win with him and he has experience. Not nearly as dynamic as JT5 but can run lots of midline and follow plays that Justin can't. And JJ and LJ may surprise us and be as good as we had hoped. Our offense should be even better next year if you ask me. Replacing Lynn Griffin and Ike Willis with probably Nate Cottrell. Searcy, Lynch, Green, and Cottrell? Sheeeeeeeit. AND, on that offense next year our only senior will be Ricky Jeune...possibly Shamire Devine if he's still in the mix.

Defense we really only lose 2 guys that hogged playing time - Pat Gamble and PJ Davis.

I am highly optimistic about next year - I think we will be a little better and I think other teams will come down a notch due to their seniors and early drafters. We have a schedule that with good play and some luck we could run the home games (not counting TN). I see no reason to think we won't be shooting for a 9th win again next year.

All good points. I love our young O linemen. Our line has a chance to be very special next year and years to come. We were 3 for 3 last class. Lee, Braun, and Cooper all made a positive impact. As long as MJ gets comfortable pitching the ball and works on some touch with his passing (he's got a live arm), I'm feeling pretty good. Plus, Mills is a stud. We cannot afford to lose Mills though.

As to the kickers? yea, totally forgot about those two in the class. Thanks for posting those videos. Love the guy yelling while he's kicking "hoooooooooot turkey sandwich!" haha. both kicker and punter will be a weapon for us next year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

But our defense really did not play all that well in most of those games, as much as the opposition played poorly. It does not fill me with optimism for next year. Our offense did come around, and that did help by putting pressure on the opposition, who likely felt they *had* to do something to counter us in that regard, so it is not total doom and gloom. But I still don't see our D line stopping even an inadequate running team (UGa and UVa both fit that category, I believe) and our overall D is likely to be another liability next year for us. The real question is whether a new QB can execute our offense at the level needed to put pressure eon the other team. One game does not confirm nor deny that...

not to rain on YOUR parade but couldnt the same be said for the miami game (2 fumbles for tds) and the pitt game (the missed 4th down). and wasnt it clemson where we fumbled an interception into a safety causing a 9 point turn around at minimum.

i understand your point but i do think that mistakes are made on both sides of the ball.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Re Bulovas.....I said earlier in his recruiting thread I think he has the most potential I've seen in a kicker since Kevin the mutt Butler or Sebastian Janikowsky. Huge leg. We really must prevent bigs from poaching our kicker and punter commits.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
not to rain on YOUR parade but couldnt the same be said for the miami game (2 fumbles for tds) and the pitt game (the missed 4th down). and wasnt it clemson where we fumbled an interception into a safety causing a 9 point turn around at minimum.

i understand your point but i do think that mistakes are made on both sides of the ball.

Quite true. I do think e played those teams pretty even (maybe even out-played them) but we blew those games. I just prefer the 2014 version where to me it seems like we could blow people out, compared to hoping the other guy screws up so we can win. (And hoping we don't blow it.) Not saying we're bad, but am saying we aren't dominant.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Stop being so optimistic. Half empty and evaporating with increasing contaminant concentrations is the technically correct way to view the situation.

I agree with @MWBATL 100% that our last three games we made fewer mistakes than the other team. In the case of UGAg, I still give thanks every day that they got away from smash mouth football where they were chewing us up and threw an interception. That was the only way we could win. Then we fought and got a TD without a mistake and held the last 30 seconds. If CPJ had mismanaged a 98% win into a loss the way Smart-less did, we would be calling for his head.

But as others have pointed out, we blew being competitive in the Miami game and winning the Pitt game. Kind of goes around.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
In the case of UGAg, I still give thanks every day that they got away from smash mouth football where they were chewing us up and threw an interception. That was the only way we could win.

So, I know that is the common perception, but I believe the data shows that our D was actually doing a good job stopping their running game by the end. I think they were averaging less than 3 yards per carry in their last 10 carries. That is why they threw on that second down, not some illogical decision by the UGA coaches.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So, I know that is the common perception, but I believe the data shows that our D was actually doing a good job stopping their running game by the end. I think they were averaging less than 3 yards per carry in their last 10 carries. That is why they threw on that second down, not some illogical decision by the UGA coaches.

I see your point looking at the last three UGAg drives before the :30 desperation drive - they ran 10 times for a net of 30 yards with one run by the QB which could have been a pass. But they also passed ~7 times (3 complete, 3 incomplete, 1 int). So they were very balanced when sitting on a 2 score lead in the fourth quarter.

Play by play data here: http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869070

I *think* if they had stayed smash mouth, they would have picked up the first downs AND more importantly burned the clock. I think getting big yards on rushing plays when our D was selling out is somewhat random; UGAg averaged 6.3 yards the entire game.

We scored with :30 to go. Every time they threw I was praying for a int since the chances of Chubb fumbling are pretty low. In real time, it was the only way I thought we could win given the clock. Looking at the clock on the play by play, UGAg was doing a pretty good job of burning clock ~45 seconds between running plays.

My mindset is probably from being a GT fan where the best defense is the offense having the ball. They can't score without the ball.

PS - Enjoy thinking about this as it is something positive(y)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
shooooooooo. Freaking bulovas has a howitzer of a leg. Note, btw, that those kicks were not off a tee, but off the grass.

Those kicks have some arc too...not like they're coming out low. I hope the kid continues to work hard and has nerves of steel!