Paul Johnson's job

A few years ago several of the former Duke FB players decided they had enough of the state of the program there. So they formed a group and went after some big donors. They pitched that a change was needed. So they now have a new stadium, an indoor football practice facility, better training room, and a good coach. They still are fortunate to get 20k to the games (I was at their homecoming game against UVA) and that included a few thousand UVA fans. They have some of the same problems we do with getting some of the top players into school and it limits their recruiting unless it is men's BB. It is a liberal arts school so they can find majors there that don't require the math and science that we do. We are caught up in a similar situation with Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, and a few others in that we have academic standards. It shows in W/L's. Even ND is struggling this year. The academic schools have good seasons from time to time but will not be able to sustain top 20 teams year after year under the current NCAA system. We also need to remember that these kids have lives outside of FB and they have quizzes, homework, projects, assignments, etc that require time away from FB. I had a hard time at GT myself and I just had a 10 hour a week part time job. My point is that for us having the right coach that can attract enough good players, regardless of the system they run, is probably the most important factor in overall success. We recruit good players based on the recruiting rankings but not extraordinary so why do we expect extraordinary results.
Duke made a lot of modifications to their stadium, but it is not a new stadium

Milwaukee

Banned
Don't need Navy's staff, but look at their offense compared to ours. It's night and day difference as far as timing. I'm not talking successful vs unsuccessful, I'm talking quick hitting vs slow developing counter crap. They attack the LOS where as we look slow as hell with every single thing we attempt.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Two 11-win seasons and 2 Orange Bowls, with one win, and it didn't work out ??? SMH
I've liked having CPJ and he has done a decent job, but the competition in the ACC is getting stronger and we aren't. JT gave us a lot of hope in 2014 but he's as good as a QB as you could get for this offense and instead of building a national prominence the past 2 seasons it looks like we're gonna have 2 of our worst seasons since CPJ got here and next we'll be breaking in a new QB. I've defended CPJ for years but I don't think we can go 6-6 and make it to the ACCCG anymore or go 6-6 on a down year which this year wasn't suppose to be a down year. I appreciate everything he has done and we've had a few good years 08,09,14 was awesome to watch but we don't have 5-6 gaurenteed win seasons anymore.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't need Navy's staff, but look at their offense compared to ours. It's night and day difference as far as timing. I'm not talking successful vs unsuccessful, I'm talking quick hitting vs slow developing counter crap. They attack the LOS where as we look slow as hell with every single thing we attempt.

REALLY liked Navy's QB. Said it in another thread, but that's what our offense would look like of we had a Tim Tebow like QB running it. Maybe we should go after the big and just fast enough QBS that have the ability to pass.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I've liked having CPJ and he has done a decent job, but the competition in the ACC is getting stronger and we aren't. JT gave us a lot of hope in 2014 but he's as good as a QB as you could get for this offense and instead of building a national prominence the past 2 seasons it looks like we're gonna have 2 of our worst seasons since CPJ got here and next we'll be breaking in a new QB. I've defended CPJ for years but I don't think we can go 6-6 and make it to the ACCCG anymore or go 6-6 on a down year which this year wasn't suppose to be a down year. I appreciate everything he has done and we've had a few good years 08,09,14 was awesome to watch but we don't have 5-6 gaurenteed win seasons anymore.

Exactly my thoughts. I know CPJ can coach good teams, but something just isn't working with what he is doing. He used to be really good at making adjustments, but just not seeing it anymore. Remember the days of the CPJ death march? Thats been absent since 14, things like that. On top of that CPJ still has defense issues and can't seem to get that under control. I'd like to continue seeing the triple option or an adjusted one if he can correct things, if not then its not worth keeping him

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But, Bill Battle at Collegiate Licensing Corp once told me that the GT alumni base was the highest giving base PER CAPITA in the Southeast.
I sure hope that by the time I read the next 12 pages of this thread someone qualifies this statement a little more. Otherwise we are back to square one where we all just admit that Tech has an incredibly small alumni base that can never catch up to the competition.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The diamond shotgun formation "looks" more like the spread offense at Auburn and Ohio State. However, if you look at the plays in the highlights, there are no options in any of the shotgun plays. If you look at all of the linemen, there are no optioned players. The QB fakes an option read to the AB, but there is nothing to read. It appears looking back at it that this was put in because the QB could not run the offense. The "fake" option was put in to keep LBs and DBs up and open up the passing game. It worked there. However after other teams get film and realize that there is no option, that it is straight blocking, and either a called run or called pass, DCs would adjust and stop that passing attack.
Agree. I was not impressed with this offense, even in real time. That may sound crazy to some, since we were scoring with it, but I saw a Duke team that was just playing really, really poor defense. Our play development was really slow but Duke was playing slower.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Norm was on Pepper Rodgers Coaching Staff in 1979 and i believe he didn't like Pepper or the things that Pepper had the team doing in 1979 like aerobics
Perhaps, but Norm owed Pepper big time. Pepper gave him a job after he was fired, hated in the NFL, and had serious health issues. It was similar to the coach who gave O'Leary a job after the Notre Dame disaster. In both cases a brother in the coaching profession gave a hand to a guy when no one else would. Norm was darn happy to have that job.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke made a lot of modifications to their stadium, but it is not a new stadium
Yes it is a retro to the old stadium. Entire new field house (I was up there with Iron Dukes for a while), all new concessions under the stadium, all new bathroom facilities, seat backs on all the seats on the Duke sideline (like our gold club seats in the east stands), and the field was completely redone with drainage that can move over 10 inches of rain per hour (like a golf course green). I did not see the visiting side concessions. It is in the same location as the old stadium but it was a major and very expensive renovation.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wyoming is 4-2 this season and probably will go to a Bowl Game.
;)don't tell that to any Air Force fan. Wyoming had weak wins against NIU, UC Davis, and a not so good CSU. Nebraska killed them and Eastern Michigan beat Wyoming. So, for the 4-0 Falcons, who just beat Navy last week, they expected to win this one (at Wyoming, homecoming, 23K attendance). Still just saying that good coaches, with good teams, still have bad days.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
People's perceptions are amazing.

Does this staff do a good job with teaching the players? Yes. Do they do a good job of game planning? Yes. Do they do a good job of putting players in a position to win (play calling)? Yes.

What is the failure? Recruiting.

Yesterday's game is a perfect example. The talent difference was obvious to anyone who knows football. The only reason we were in it until the end was because the coaches do a good job with what they have. Pitt is far from an elite ACC team, and still the talent difference is still obvious.

We have very little talent on D. I don't see any future NFL players, although some of the FR and SO may come on. James Butler was awful as a SO-- he ended up with a super bowl ring.

Then there is the offense. We lack talent there too. Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas all ran TO. They didn't stop because it didn't work, They found that it was hard to recruit. The NFL doesn't run the TO. Blocking the TO is not fun. WR want to catch balls, QBs want to throw balls, RBs want to carry more than they block, and OL want to pass block, not cut block.

There are several problems with recruiting. Paul Johnson is correct when he says that there is a lack of commitment from GT. But Paul Johnson is part of the problem too. He has not placed the emphasis on recruiting that he should, shown by where he recruits and the staff he hired.

I saw a quote from Kim King today that I never saw before. To paraphrase, he didn't expect to be in the NC hunt every year, but we could be a perennial top 25 and an occasional top 10 team. I agree completely, but it's not happening without a major shake up.

Stansbury has his hands full, but we finally hired an AD that appears to be a fit.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
;)don't tell that to any Air Force fan. Wyoming had weak wins against NIU, UC Davis, and a not so good CSU. Nebraska killed them and Eastern Michigan beat Wyoming. So, for the 4-0 Falcons, who just beat Navy last week, they expected to win this one (at Wyoming, homecoming, 23K attendance). Still just saying that good coaches, with good teams, still have bad days.
It looks like Mike Bobo as Colorado St will be sitting on a very hot seat.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep VolJacket. you are already hearing the rumble. Bobo has not been the hire they thought they were getting. Of course, they didn't ask any of us here at the GTSwarm what they were getting :D
UGAG fans loved it when he left Georgia. That tells you a lot ;)

Does this staff do a good job with teaching the players? Yes. Do they do a good job of game planning? Yes. Do they do a good job of putting players in a position to win (play calling)? Yes.

Yesterday's game is a perfect example. The talent difference was obvious to anyone who knows football. The only reason we were in it until the end was because the coaches do a good job with what they have. Pitt is far from an elite ACC team, and still the talent difference is still obvious.

We have very little talent on D. I don't see any future NFL players, although some of the FR and SO may come on. James Butler was awful as a SO-- he ended up with a super bowl ring.

Then there is the offense. We lack talent there too. Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas all ran TO. They didn't stop because it didn't work, They found that it was hard to recruit. The NFL doesn't run the TO. Blocking the TO is not fun. WR want to catch balls, QBs want to throw balls, RBs want to carry more than they block, and OL want to pass block, not cut block.

There are several problems with recruiting. Paul Johnson is correct when he says that there is a lack of commitment from GT. But Paul Johnson is part of the problem too. He has not placed the emphasis on recruiting that he should, shown by where he recruits and the staff he hired.

I saw a quote from Kim King today that I never saw before. To paraphrase, he didn't expect to be in the NC hunt every year, but we could be a perennial top 25 and an occasional top 10 team. I agree completely, but it's not happening without a major shake up.

Stansbury has his hands full, but we finally hired an AD that appears to be a fit.
"Paul Johnson is part of the problem too. He has not placed the emphasis on recruiting that he should, shown by where he recruits and the staff he hired."

But, isn't the reason for that the fact that he doesn't get the funding to do much different?

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow

we've made the final top 25 eight times in last 50 years, but keep going ahead and thinking it's realistic to be a perennial top 25 team. Just not going to happen. Not with our lack of commitment from school and our academic standards that require athletes to take courses of calculus and several lab sciences.