Paul Johnson's job

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Roof has some explaining to do. His defense supposed to have gotten better. Pittsburgh isn't getting better talent than GT so that excuse doesn't apply.

Also lets be honest CPJ's offense didn't exactly light it up either. Matter of fact outside of the Vandy GT hasn't been exactly dominant offensively. It's like 14' was more of an aberration than the norm.
Pitt has better talent than Penn State has right now and that's a higher level than GT has.

The option is just hard to recruit for, we get lucky every now and then like JT, Dedrick, Swillings, AJ but most top recruits don't want to play in it. You know how most teams have a hard time simulating our offense I'm sure we have a hard time simulating theirs as well making our defense struggle. We live in a different era than when CPJ first got here. Georgia has turned into one of the most talent rich states in America for football and we get one 4 star every other year or so when there's probably 30-40 every year from GA. Duke is starting to get decent recruiting and has no where near the atmosphere tech provides for players. Sorry to rant, but I see no positives in keeping CPJ. His offense compounds the challenges we already face in recruiting.
So when have we ever been loaded with 4-stars? We have NEVER had a 5-star

How many stars was Eddie Lee Ivory or Robert Lavette? Did they even keep up with the recruiting then? LOL
I don't think they had star-ratings then, but considering the HS's they played for, they would probably not have been 5-stars, and, even if they had been, they would probably have been demoted a star simply by signing with Tech.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Obviously there are several factors of this school that CPJ cannot control as easily, but he has shown that he can have a top 10 team previously. Its really going to come down to if he can get us back to winning games that used to be winnable for us. Some of these issues we have been having, have now gone back to 2015 both on defense and offense

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A few years ago several of the former Duke FB players decided they had enough of the state of the program there. So they formed a group and went after some big donors. They pitched that a change was needed. So they now have a new stadium, an indoor football practice facility, better training room, and a good coach. They still are fortunate to get 20k to the games (I was at their homecoming game against UVA) and that included a few thousand UVA fans. They have some of the same problems we do with getting some of the top players into school and it limits their recruiting unless it is men's BB. It is a liberal arts school so they can find majors there that don't require the math and science that we do. We are caught up in a similar situation with Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, and a few others in that we have academic standards. It shows in W/L's. Even ND is struggling this year. The academic schools have good seasons from time to time but will not be able to sustain top 20 teams year after year under the current NCAA system. We also need to remember that these kids have lives outside of FB and they have quizzes, homework, projects, assignments, etc that require time away from FB. I had a hard time at GT myself and I just had a 10 hour a week part time job. My point is that for us having the right coach that can attract enough good players, regardless of the system they run, is probably the most important factor in overall success. We recruit good players based on the recruiting rankings but not extraordinary so why do we expect extraordinary results.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
agree to disagree. @ATL1 we did score on 7 out of 9 possessions(?) Saturday. We've seen more seasons like than 14 than we have 15, so Im not sure about that eval
Yep, and if it wasn't for a penalty on the first kick off we probably would have scored a TD the first drive but instead we had to settle for a field goal.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
Possible future head coaching candidates for GT that i like is Jeff Brohm of Western Kentucky,Scott Satterfield of Appalachian State,Joe Moglia of Coastal Carolina and Russ Huesman of UT Chattanooga
Jeff Brohm would be a great choice. I lived in Louisville when he played in high school and college. He was played at Trinity High, a private Catholic powerhouse and excellent academic school. He is still well connected to strong academic private high schools where he can recruit players. He also plays a brand of offensive football that has the ability to score in bunches if and when the team is behind.

agree to disagree. @ATL1 we did score on 7 out of 9 possessions(?) Saturday. We've seen more seasons like than 14 than we have 15, so Im not sure about that eval
No, we have actually seen more seasons like 2010 than any other. 2009 and 2014 were great, and I didn't think we would every see 3-9 under CPJ. Our schedule seemed to insure five or six wins, so 3-9 was not likely, yet it happened. The conference has improved, and sure wins against Duke, or Pitt, or BC or Wake have disappeared because we have been treading water. We are 3-3 with Duke, VPI, UVA, UNC and Georgia left to play. 4-8 seems very possible. Bowl eligibility will take an absolute miracle. We all want Tech to be better, but 16 or 17 losses in two years is not a very good program, even if you're scoring 7 out of nine possessions.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think GT will be looking for a new head coach if GT finishes 6-6 and goes to a bottom rung Bowl Game. I don't think Ken Niumatalolo of Navy is a solution the critics of CPJ are looking for because Navy pretty much runs the same offense that GT does.
We've hired a productive option coach from navy one time. Didn't work out

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
So when have we ever been loaded with 4-stars? We have NEVER had a 5-star
No but like I said, we're in a different era of recruiting with social media and hudl etc. Kids don't fly under the radar very often anymore which makes it tougher for us to find diamonds in the ruff. If we get a more prototypical offense and a good coach in here I gaurentee we will recruit better than ever. Will the teams be better? Who knows but there's just 10 times as many 4-5 stars players as there was 8 years ago so we will get some. 4-5 star recruits are looking for their best possibility of getting to the NFL and our style doesn't provide that now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Brohm would be a great choice. I lived in Louisville when he played in high school and college. He was played at Trinity High, a private Catholic powerhouse and excellent academic school. He is still well connected to strong academic private high schools where he can recruit players. He also plays a brand of offensive football that has the ability to score in bunches if and when the team is behind.

Yeah, but Jeff Brohm doesn't run a triple option offense, so he'll never succeed here.

He likes to pass the ball like Bobby Petrino. Recruits that come to GT will never go for it.

Don't have dreams that aren't realistic...

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You mean the same Troy Calhoun that lost to hapless Wyoming yesterday? I live 2 miles from the Academy. I really like Calhoun. Even good coaches can have bad streaks and games
Wyoming is 4-2 this season and probably will go to a Bowl Game.