Paul Johnson to retire

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Appreciate all that Coach Johnson did for us. He was imperfect like all of us. When the option was rolling, it was great to watch. But we could never get a quarterback in the Tracy Ham mold who could run AND throw it. Two Orange Bowls in 11 years are more than the prior 42 years, which is great. I hated the attitude with the media, which makes me think we need someone younger who can sell the school and the program and RECRUIT like crazy. Like a Dabo to some degree. Someone who wants to be here and gets that we're different, but use it as a plus.

I hate it for Coach Woody. Stinks to leave a place where you are established and be thrown into flux in less than one year. I think he's on the right path, so maybe he can stay. If not, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Finally, we've shown that we can recruit in a single cycle (2007) and get specific great players (Calvin), but need to do it more consistently.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It's amazing to me that CPJ is coaching the bowl game. I really can't remember a coach doing this, and I think it's awesome. He is one-of-a-kind.

I would bet that he will also continue to recruit hard for GT while he's still here. He'll sell the school and say that these guys ought to stay and that GT will get another good coach. This is something he said he was impressed by with Charles Kelly when he came in - that CCK didn't know if he was going to stay or go but he went out recruiting with CPJ anyway because he believed in working as hard as you can for whoever is paying you for your work.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Appreciate all that Coach Johnson did for us. He was imperfect like all of us. When the option was rolling, it was great to watch. But we could never get a quarterback in the Tracy Ham mold who could run AND throw it. Two Orange Bowls in 11 years are more than the prior 42 years, which is great. I hated the attitude with the media, which makes me think we need someone younger who can sell the school and the program and RECRUIT like crazy. Like a Dabo to some degree. Someone who wants to be here and gets that we're different, but use it as a plus.

I hate it for Coach Woody. Stinks to leave a place where you are established and be thrown into flux in less than one year. I think he's on the right path, so maybe he can stay. If not, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Finally, we've shown that we can recruit in a single cycle (2007) and get specific great players (Calvin), but need to do it more consistently.
I think if Scott Satterfield is the next GT head coach that he'll retain Coach Woody as DC

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing to me that CPJ is coaching the bowl game. I really can't remember a coach doing this, and I think it's awesome. He is one-of-a-kind.

I would bet that he will also continue to recruit hard for GT while he's still here. He'll sell the school and say that these guys ought to stay and that GT will get another good coach. This is something he said he was impressed by with Charles Kelly when he came in - that CCK didn't know if he was going to stay or go but he went out recruiting with CPJ anyway because he believed in working as hard as you can for whoever is paying you for your work.

No substitute for class :)

Animal02

Banned
Scoop is ... CPJ has had enough. Probably made the decision in August.
I think the tell will be who TStan interviews for the job.....if no one from the CPJ tree is given a sniff, in all likely hood CPJ was pressured to step down. Moving away from the 3O will mire Tech in mediocrity for years....though the "big donors" that sit in the AC under the upper west drinking cocktails will be happy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I do believe an option based offense is best suited to our unique situation. It is probably best overall if we go in the direction of a more RPO type offense. I believe we could successfully recruit to this style.

I agree 100% with that. Our next coach needs to have an option component to his system...doesn't need to be option heavy like CPJ's, but the option has to be a real threat to even the playing field.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

GTLorenzo: On your last point about 2007, I want to reemphasize that this particular class kind of decided as a group that they wanted to play in the ATL together, and of course, they liked Nesbitt, who was not really being recruited as a QB other places. That was like almost hitting a small lottery. Can it happen again? Maybe, but we are competing against teams that are putting top 5-10 classes together EVERY year, not one lucky year they get a top 25 class.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
and only Duke

I don't know how you are Tech fan my man. The early 80's has obviously given you an complex about our program that you haven't gotten over. God knows we have fielded competitive teams over the past 3 decades. 2/3rds of that without Johnson spanning 4 different coaches. We will be Ok although we should expect to take a step back before we can go forward.

And if the we don't get better, we try again.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
All college football fan bases are that way look at Tennessee and look at Florida where a lot of their fans didn't like the hire of Dan Mullen..................................just sayin';)

True, Mike. But, with our fan base (mixture of alumni and others), it seems that many believe we should still be able to compete at a very high level (with UGAG and Clem's Son) every year. If you think about it, when we competed against Clem's Son in the recent past, it was before Dabo really got going with his recruiting, and we still had a lot of the 2007 class left. To compete with UGAG, when we beat them in 14 and 16, Paul's system that is tough to defend was KEY to that success, along with a few special players (JT, Shaq, etc.). I just don't think we can run a regular offense (one that is similar to a lot of other schools) and compete well, even if our recruiting improves somewhat, which I do think it might improve 10-15%.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't know how you are Tech fan my man. The early 80's has obviously given you an complex about our program that you haven't gotten over. God knows we have fielded competitive teams over the past 3 decades. 2/3rds of that without Johnson spanning 4 different coaches. We will be Ok although we should expect to take a step back before we can go forward.

And if the we don't get better, we try again.

With Monken ;)

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Whisenhunt rumors make me VERY nervous...for GT and TStan's decision making...

Hopefully it's just that...rumors

Sometimes I wonder about people on this board. I just brought up Whisenhunt's name to 6 different co-workers and they all thought he would be a great hire. Come on here and everyone thinks it would be terrible. Same thing with Johnson. When the news broke at the office EVERYONE thought it was great news for GT. Come on here and it's doom and gloom. I really would like to understand the psychology here. Something has caused many on this board to see our program completely differently than everyone else.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Man, I now wish my investment in GT swag was a little smaller this year. I really loved PJ for the Institute, as I believed and still believe he was the right guy for the job. We are like a military academy (STEM school), that just happens to be a public college in GA. Our recruiting will most likely improve if PJ's system is discarded, but a 10-15% improvement in talent will NOT, imo, make enough difference against the Clem'sSon and UGAG's of the world if we run a standard offense against their NFL defenses.

Last thing, and I will try not to post again today - the happiest folks right now are Kirby Smart, Dabo, Foster, etc. who no longer have to worry about defending this offense. I promise you, I promise you, they respected it and it got their attention.

Animal02

Banned
Sometimes I wonder about people on this board. I just brought up Whisenhunt's name to 6 different co-workers and they all thought he would be a great hire. Come on here and everyone thinks it would be terrible. Same thing with Johnson. When the news broke at the office EVERYONE thought it was great news for GT. Come on here and it's doom and gloom. I really would like to understand the psychology here. Something has caused many on this board to see our program completely differently than everyone else.
Still cannot help but try and sell your narrative :rolleyes: