Paul Johnson recruiting Q&A with AJC

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Then again, PJ really can't say anything about the kid, one way or the other, even after he commits to another school, until that kid signs. So until the name is on a NLI, only one side gets out because only one side of the story can get out.
True, but he can't say that the story was inaccurate?

gtdrew

Banned
ATL1's feelings are just hurt because every time our coach clears up a situation like this it further hurts his argument about who CPJ is. If it were anyone else he wouldn't feel that way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
he called BS on Miles Taylor's comments about GT having no contact with him for "months", then the Des Moines Register calls out CPJ for calling B.S..LINK

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
he called BS on Miles Taylor's comments about GT having no contact with him for "months", then the Des Moines Register calls out CPJ for calling B.S..LINK

You say "months". No one knows for certain the length of time that in Miles Taylor's mind comprised a "long time".

According to PJ, Taylor called early in the recruiting period. When is the recruiting period? Taylor was our first commit. When did that happen? Heck these kids are recruited in their junior years these days. There are holes in each of their stories.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
You say "months". No one knows for certain the length of time that in Miles Taylor's mind comprised a "long time".

According to PJ, Taylor called early in the recruiting period. When is the recruiting period? Taylor was our first commit. When did that happen? Heck these kids are recruited in their junior years these days. There are holes in each of their stories.

This^^^

I don't think either party is lying. Both are simply telling the truth from their point of view. It is unfair for any of us to call BS on either story.

My opinion, our coaching staff probably did have a change of heart on how much they really wanted the Taylor kid. But CPJ did the honorable thing and did not pull the scholarship offer. Taylor probably sensed that he wasn't a high value target and began to look for other alternatives. In the end it is no big deal and neither Taylor nor PJ should have commented on the situation. Taylor obviously fired the opening salvo, but PJ could have handled his response much better.

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
I pay for an online subscription just to get any information on Tech sports. This site and Rivals do a great job getting information to the fans. Ken Seguira also writes good articles. Carvell, Bradley and Schultz definitely write about UGA if a more positive light than they do Tech. We will get more positive coverage when we win. 7-6 seasons every year is very disappointing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This^^^

I don't think either party is lying. Both are simply telling the truth from their point of view. It is unfair for any of us to call BS on either story.

My opinion, our coaching staff probably did have a change of heart on how much they really wanted the Taylor kid. But CPJ did the honorable thing and did not pull the scholarship offer. Taylor probably sensed that he wasn't a high value target and began to look for other alternatives. In the end it is no big deal and neither Taylor nor PJ should have commented on the situation. Taylor obviously fired the opening salvo, but PJ could have handled his response much better.

I largely agree about it might being perspectival truth on both sides. However, I think CPJ makes his view on commitment pretty clear. If Miles still expected to be able to use GT as a place holder, I can see how GT might be less than enthusiastic in response.

That being said, Miles admitted lying to the Iowa guy and to Kelly, and CPJ seemed to say that his story to Eric wasn't accurate. I think another guy on here claimed to see Miles at a game that he told Eric he hadn't attended, if I understood correctly,

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Per Miles' comments - Link (ajc blog referencing GTSWARM) and the link to Eric's quote from Miles.
No communication for months what so ever. No coaches coming during open period to see you and you’re teammates. No relationship was formed …” Taylor had taken an official visit to Georgia Tech last weekend.

From the "No relationship" link -
"Miles Taylor confirmed to the AJC on Sunday that he made these comments to Eric Thompson of the independent website GTswarm.com"

CPJ's comment - "he was here just the week before on his official visit. (Assistant Joe) Speed talked to him that Thursday before he took his visit to Iowa, and neither him or his dad told (Speed) that he was going on that trip. The kid spun it the way he wanted to spin it, but it didn’t exactly happen that way.”

I'm not saying that the GT staff was overly upset that he went to Iowa, just that CPJ called B.S. to the way Miles described it.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Then again, PJ really can't say anything about the kid, one way or the other, even after he commits to another school, until that kid signs. So until the name is on a NLI, only one side gets out because only one side of the story can get out.

Not technically true anymore now that they've set up the new "pre letter of intent" that can be signed prior to signing day. It doesn't commit the kid to come to the school but it has a few advantages for the coach & the kid. A kid who has signed one of these can be contacted by coaches freely without the usual recruiting restrictions of when you can and cannot contact a recruit. Also, a coach can then publicly comment on the recruit prior to signing the actual LOI during his senior year.

It's new and has just been introduced but UGA already has at least 2 that I know of whom have signed these.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Not technically true anymore now that they've set up the new "pre letter of intent" that can be signed prior to signing day. It doesn't commit the kid to come to the school but it has a few advantages for the coach & the kid. A kid who has signed one of these can be contacted by coaches freely without the usual recruiting restrictions of when you can and cannot contact a recruit. Also, a coach can then publicly comment on the recruit prior to signing the actual LOI during his senior year.

It's new and has just been introduced but UGA already has at least 2 that I know of whom have signed these.

We had 4 last year.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Per Miles' comments - Link (ajc blog referencing GTSWARM) and the link to Eric's quote from Miles.
No communication for months what so ever. No coaches coming during open period to see you and you’re teammates. No relationship was formed …” Taylor had taken an official visit to Georgia Tech last weekend.

From the "No relationship" link -
"Miles Taylor confirmed to the AJC on Sunday that he made these comments to Eric Thompson of the independent website GTswarm.com"

CPJ's comment - "he was here just the week before on his official visit. (Assistant Joe) Speed talked to him that Thursday before he took his visit to Iowa, and neither him or his dad told (Speed) that he was going on that trip. The kid spun it the way he wanted to spin it, but it didn’t exactly happen that way.”

I'm not saying that the GT staff was overly upset that he went to Iowa, just that CPJ called B.S. to the way Miles described it.

I don't think you plugged the holes in either Taylor's or Johnson's arguements. It is probable that once Taylor commited (certainly this board has that date) GT layed off of him and a long time passed (how long? no one stills knows) until further contact. Both you and Johnson are hanging your arguement on the contact made by Taylor's family only the week before his OV which was only wthin the past month, it seems (Jan, 2014). It is very probable that a "long time" had passed. From this article and everything else written since, PJ has shown no sufficient grounds to call BS. Perhaps this is because this was a poorly written article. Doubts still linger.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don't think you plugged the holes in either Taylor's or Johnson's arguements. It is probable that once Taylor commited (certainly this board has that date) GT layed off of him and a long time passed (how long? no one stills knows) until further contact. Both you and Johnson are hanging your arguement on the contact made by Taylor's family only the week before his OV which was only wthin the past month, it seems (Jan, 2014). It is very probable that a "long time" had passed. From this article and everything else written since, PJ has shown no sufficient grounds to call BS. Perhaps this is because this was a poorly written article. Doubts still linger.

Not looking to plug all the holes. :)

He committed to GT 3/12/2013.
As of 11/13/2013 article on Scout he was still "firmly committed" to GT.

He was to visit GT at the end of November.

At the beginning of January (4th), Eric stated concern about Miles flipping.

His OV was 1/17.

Last edited:

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Bottom line is that the media is lazy and stupid and I have no problem with the coach setting the record straight. If the kid is spreading misinformation about the program, it needs to be treated with
mods please lock this agonizing thread.

AGREE! How about them uniforms?!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Not looking to plug all the holes. :)

He committed to GT 3/12/2013.
As of 11/13/2013 article on Scout he was still "firmly committed" to GT.

He was to visit GT at the end of November.

At the beginning of January (4th), Eric stated concern about Miles flipping.

His OV was 1/17.

We're good.