Paul Johnson on proposed transfer changes: 'I think it's nuts'

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
I apologize in advance if someone has already mentioned this idea early in the tread but it seems like we can actually accomplish both a free transfer system and ensuring that we don’t have a free for all. Why not give each kid a chance to transfer before the start of their sophomore year (start of your 2nd academic fall semester) without penalty. They would have gone through fall and spring practice and the decision they made at 17/18 years old doesn’t haunt them. It would help keep the coaches from selling them a pipe dream that would never come true. After the start of your sophomore year, you can transfer but have to sit out a year. You can’t say that you have been hoodwinked at that point. I am not sure it has to be all one way or another.

If you have a freshman stud who leaves, then you haven’t invested to much time and effort where another school can benefit, but if a kid goes to a school and it is not a fit either athletically or academically, then they get a one time pass to go somewhere better without losing a year of their life on the practice squad. Just a thought.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I apologize in advance if someone has already mentioned this idea early in the tread but it seems like we can actually accomplish both a free transfer system and ensuring that we don’t have a free for all. Why not give each kid a chance to transfer before the start of their sophomore year (start of your 2nd academic fall semester) without penalty. They would have gone through fall and spring practice and the decision they made at 17/18 years old doesn’t haunt them. It would help keep the coaches from selling them a pipe dream that would never come true. After the start of your sophomore year, you can transfer but have to sit out a year. You can’t say that you have been hoodwinked at that point. I am not sure it has to be all one way or another.

If you have a freshman stud who leaves, then you haven’t invested to much time and effort where another school can benefit, but if a kid goes to a school and it is not a fit either athletically or academically, then they get a one time pass to go somewhere better without losing a year of their life on the practice squad. Just a thought.

your idea is well thought out and rational. Thus it has no chance of ever being implemented by the NCAA. You need to keep your ridiculous and lucid thoughts to yourself going forward.