Paul Johnson on proposed transfer changes: 'I think it's nuts'

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
“If a kid comes in and wants to transfer, I don’t think you should restrict them wherever they want to go,” Johnson said.
But at the same time, it’s not irrational to say, OK let’s slow down here and consider the intended and unintended consequences of such a massive change, particularly when you’re going to give the freedom only to students who carry a high GPA.

“(If they adopt this proposal), is it in your best interests to make sure all your guys are under 3.3?” said Johnson, who is only verbalizing what every college football coach is thinking. “If you’re allowing a one-time transfer rule and tying it to a high enough GPA or whatever, what are you telling the schools who don’t want to lose their guys? What are they going to do, keep them from being a 3.3? You know how people are going to do it. They’re going to do what’s in their best interests.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ed-transfer-changes-think-its-nuts/508223002/

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
This in my opinion is college football free agency and it's a stupid as hell idea:rolleyes::banghead:
At one time I was a bigger professional sports fan than college. My father took us to see the Braves and I purchased tickets to see the Hawks before any other team in town. Free Agency, or its implementation, and the onslaught of copious commercials, have killed my interest in professional baseball, professional basketball and professional football. One and done has killed my interest in college basketball. College football is the only major sport that I still have an interest. But if free agency comes to college football my interest in it will die too. Yes, in a capitalist society players do, and should, have the right to pursue and obtain their goals and maximum value. And in capitalist society I as a consumer/customer also have, and should have, the right to the determine if I am still interested in purchasing or following the products being presented.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
At one time I was a bigger professional sports fan than college. My father took us to see the Braves and I purchased tickets to see the Hawks before any other team in town. Free Agency, or its implementation, and the onslaught of copious commercials, have killed my interest in professional baseball, professional basketball and professional football. One and done has killed my interest in college basketball. College football is the only major sport that I still have an interest. But if free agency comes to college football my interest in it will die too. Yes, in a capitalist society players do, and should, have the right to pursue and obtain their goals and maximum value. And in capitalist society I as a consumer/customer also have, and should have, the right to the determine if I am still interested in purchasing or following the products being presented.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is a really, really dumb idea. Coach is right; it's as if a bunch of NCAA people got together and thought, "Let's just ignore the obvious consequences and propose this rule! What could possibly go wrong?" Let's hope this is the last we hear of it.

Btw, Jorge is right. If students want to transfer, why should anyone stand in their way?

As to clarify, what this would do is every kid who is not a starter would listen to his parents, brother, girlfriend telling him he is NFL caliber and the school and coach is holding him back. They would then look to transfer, thus teams would have weak depth. Of course if the GPA rule is in place I would bet not many kids would have a high enough GPA because of how hard Tech is. In either case the kid would opt to transfer and.....end up in 1AA, like Marcus Marshall, and never be heard from again.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's unclear to me how a coach could control a GPA, because if he had that much influence with the faculty then the faculty should have their rear ends collectively tossed from the school, and I think there are NCAA rules against such contacts. But: the GPA should not come into play at all. The simple and effective standard across all universities, from tough to easy, is "in good standing". That's all that should count. It means the player is passing and is not a thug. That leaves GT responsible for its students, Georgia for its students, etc. But sure, changing schools should not cost a "student athlete" -- stop laughing -- a year or one quarter of his or her eligibility for making a error of choice at the age of 17 or 18. (Johnson's ezample is perfect: often they view a transfer to a major college that has never had an interest in them. Dreams die hard.)

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
As to clarify, what this would do is every kid who is not a starter would listen to his parents, brother, girlfriend telling him he is NFL caliber and the school and coach is holding him back. They would then look to transfer, thus teams would have weak depth. Of course if the GPA rule is in place I would bet not many kids would have a high enough GPA because of how hard Tech is. In either case the kid would opt to transfer and.....end up in 1AA, like Marcus Marshall, and never be heard from again.
But if everyone's transferring the net sum is zero, and we build depth with transfers.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's unclear to me how a coach could control a GPA, because if he had that much influence with the faculty then the faculty should have their rear ends collectively tossed from the school, and I think there are NCAA rules against such contacts. But: the GPA should not come into play at all. The simple and effective standard across all universities, from tough to easy, is "in good standing". That's all that should count. It means the player is passing and is not a thug. That leaves GT responsible for its students, Georgia for its students, etc. But sure, changing schools should not cost a "student athlete" -- stop laughing -- a year or one quarter of his or her eligibility for making a error of choice at the age of 17 or 18. (Johnson's ezample is perfect: often they view a transfer to a major college that has never had an interest in them. Dreams die hard.)
I'm not sure that is true at UNC.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

Sorry, you don't have study hall today. Time for you to go watch some tape...

Now with the A-A classes at UNC, that wouldn't work.

the faculty should have their rear ends collectively tossed from the school,
Just think UNCheat

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, you don't have study hall today. Time for you to go watch some tape...

Now with the A-A classes at UNC, that wouldn't work.
Not sure but I guess you are saying a coach could take a player out of study, and I don't think so. As for the rest, boy, youse guys have a real thing for UNC. It warps the whole outlook and I worry about you.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not Employees, correct, but they do get monetary value from signing what is a contract with the school.

Actually, they do not sign a contract with the school. They agree to play football for the Athletic Association, who in turn, provides them a grant.

If they want free agency, they should just go directly into the pros. College football is for college.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
If you think the recruiting advantage for the factories is big now wait until they can openly recruit every d1 football player. This is an obsurd idea.